New transmission?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New transmission?

Are there any transmissions that are stronger than the stock 1994 LX manual that will fit up fairly easy? New or remanufactured. Already have new exedy clutch. Is the stock LX tranny tough enough to withstand hard driving with forced induction and heavy modding?

how heavy are we talking?

There are a few ppl running 300+whp w/o issue with the tranny... they actually begin to worry about other parts of the motor before that.

One of our members pulled 475 on the dyno before the tranny blew.

The 97 ish model Kia GS is said to be stronger and a direct bolt on.
    Last edited by D323; 10-11-2005, 03:00 AM.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

how heavy?!

Well currently doing fine pushing 198.4 whp but looking into the UBERCharger kit from flyin miata, they say that it is good for around 300 - 350 whp with an otherwise stock engine. I figure with 10.5:1 comp. cold air intake, jet ECU, NGK ignition, pacesetter cat back and headers, cam gears and camshafts that it will be around their speculated 300whp range because of the highercomp and the lower boost I will be able to run. If around 475whp is the cap then I should be fine. Sounds good about the Kia tranny. Is it the same gear ratios? I like the two short bottom end gears on the stock 5spd. Are there any places that make a six speed manual for the 94 protege LX? Thanks for ending any worries about the seemingly faultless Mazda transmission.

Comment

Dont let me lull you into a a false sense of security or anything.... There have been a few members that have blown their trannies on just GTX and some even just NA motors. Its all in how you care for it and how hard you push it.

Couldn't begin to tell you about the KIA tranny.... All I know is that alot of the PR guys that run sub 12's seem to all swap over to the KIA tranny b/c of its added strength. Since its the same though, you could just swap the Mazda gears out with the KIA ones and enjoy

There are no 6 spd trannies available for the LX. There were a few made in NZ for rally I believe..... Jaustech's website has them listed. Dont think that they are cheap though... (10-20k or something insane like that)

IMO so long as you run Red-line or some other quallity transmission fluid, and dont beat on the mofo too hard you should be fine. I can't tell you for sure though, as you'd be one of the few that is running that much power...

Oh and pics of your ride/setup are more than welcome
        The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

it's all about if you know how to drive and the condition of your tranny. swapping to gear oil say 75w90 with a quart of shockproof is also a very winning combo

Comment

Originally posted by popsicle
            it's all about if you know how to drive and the condition of your tranny. swapping to gear oil say 75w90 with a quart of shockproof is also a very winning combo

How about just running synthetic gear oil?

Ever since I switched to synthetic gear oil, my cold shifts are a lot rougher.

Comment

i blew up a tranny on 200 hp and had another last over a year on 300 . so its really nowing how to launch doing proper maint. and running good oil. i changed mine often and feathered the clutch in when i lanuched i learned the trick from chris ghiles and neuman
              eat me

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
                How about just running synthetic gear oil?

Ever since I switched to synthetic gear oil, my cold shifts are a lot rougher.

Yeah synth is slick on synchros, esp when cold.
                2005 Mazda 3

Comment

Working...
                X