Could It Be The Master Cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could It Be The Master Cylinder

I use dot 4 brake fluid because i drive hard everyday, normally the front disc pads would last about 3-4 months and the rear drum pads would last 6-7months the problem is within 2 weeks now i keep getting air in my brake lines to the point where the pedal goes to the ground and the car still won't stop unless i gear down and use the hand brake. Another thing is the left pads are the first to go.... to tell the truth out of the six pairs of disc pads i changed the right one once. The left front wheel is always hotter than the others. u can smell the brakes cooking mostly that left one. What do u guys think is the problem
    97 Mazda Protege GT

BEFOREAFTER

I think most of us don't have a lot of break knowledge but you may have one rotor way more worn than the other. For example, someone may have replaced a rotor they damaged due to not replacing a brake pad and then just bought a new one. It's probably not this but I'm just shootin' an idea at ya'

Comment

is your brake fluid level going down?

Comment

the front rotors are about 3 year old when i have the wheels off and there spinning i o se some sparks. oh yeh and it seems that the left pads seem not to really let go the rotor. i has the calipers taken off and the metal pins that holds it in place clean and greased in case they were sticking. the problem still occures. right now the left disc is rubbing metal to metal which i have to change in the morning, the left disc if i didn't know better looks almost brand new. i think i have to talk to my mazda dealer here for an answer
        97 Mazda Protege GT

BEFOREAFTER

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
          is your brake fluid level going down?
          no not from what i see when i look at it it seems the same, but when i bleed the lines just alot of air the left one when i bleed it the fluid looks burnt(dark colour)
          so i guess u can say that.
          A guy told me it could be the primary booster seal going or gone
          Last edited by reddragonmazda; 10-12-2005, 06:03 PM.
          97 Mazda Protege GT

BEFOREAFTER

Comment

the pins were taken off sand and then grease already, it must be the cylinder i'll check in the morning how much a repair kit cost and have it replace cause i'm sick of changing fluid every two weeks.
            thanks for the advice
            97 Mazda Protege GT

BEFOREAFTER

Comment

would the heat damage the calipers? cause i had some red paint on them and now the paint is black and the left rim after a few days is always covered in black brake dust
              Last edited by reddragonmazda; 10-12-2005, 08:01 PM.
              97 Mazda Protege GT

BEFOREAFTER

Comment

i don't think they are cause when the air in the lines are taken out they work fine. its just the line keep filling with air and its not to say that the driving i do is causing it. it take me a 30-40 mins to get to work and back home and the car is mostly park
                97 Mazda Protege GT

BEFOREAFTER

Comment

Check to see if the pad wear is different on the inner and outer pads. If it is then your calipers are shot and you will have to replace them. Another thing is park the car after you get home from work with paper under the brakes and see if anything drips on it.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

Originally posted by Project Protoge
                    Check to see if the pad wear is different on the inner and outer pads. If it is then your calipers are shot and you will have to replace them. Another thing is park the car after you get home from work with paper under the brakes and see if anything drips on it.
                    well i changed the left ones this morning. the wear looks almost the same. But i'll try out the thing with the paper.... come to thing of it when i took off the old pads and looked at the caliper piston there was some sort of sticky liquid in it. I wiped it out and i'll keep an eye on it. As for the master cylinder i got a 96 GTX one which is bigger than the stock cylinder which was recommended to me by a buddy who works at the mazda company here because i'm putting in a BPT wit about 28lbs of boost. so when i'm off i'll work on it.
                    Attached Files
                    97 Mazda Protege GT

BEFOREAFTER

Comment

Sounds like the calipers are shot. Try the paper thing anyway to make sure you don't have any leaking lines.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

i'll let u know what happens
                        97 Mazda Protege GT

BEFOREAFTER

Comment

I also notice that the master cylinder seem to be leaking and to pin point if its one of the line or the pressure from the air in the line may be causing a back wash. i'll take some pics in the morning so u guys would see what i'm talking about.
                          97 Mazda Protege GT

BEFOREAFTER

Comment

i know the guy gave me the wrong information it was a mix up... sorry bout that. cause i too also found it strange myself that that was the first time i ever heard about that vehicle.
                            Last edited by reddragonmazda; 10-14-2005, 08:13 PM.
                            97 Mazda Protege GT

BEFOREAFTER

Comment

the part #B21R-43-40Z it is a genuine part from mazda for the 97-98 protege its not bigger that the one on the car so i guess there's no difference
                              97 Mazda Protege GT

BEFOREAFTER

Comment

Working...
                              X