Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

03 Mazda Protege ES, will 6.5 components work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

03 Mazda Protege ES, will 6.5 components work?

My friend has this car with 6 speakers in it.. He is interested in purchasing some CDT 6L-61a's that are on sale at thezeb.com for $149.99 a pair.. (half off)..

I hear the factory locations are 5x7's in the front and 6x9's in the back, will these cdts work in the factory locations since they are 6.5 inch components?? Does anybody know if I can make this work while keeping the door in tact and the speaker inside.

I would assume there are simple kits that can overcome this...hopefully, anybody know? Thanks in advance.

i just installed some 6.5 components in my 02pro...all i did was build a plate from the 5x7 and cut holes for 6.5 and tweeter...i got the mid and tweet in the stock location. for the x-over i put it right above the plate (lots of room there) but try taping the x-over on the door and put the panel back on to make sure it fits...i didnt do this and drilled 2extra holes that i shouldnt have had to do if i wasnt lazy...but good luck with install...oh and for the rear, i think putting 6.5 comp in the stock 6x9 location will fit for sure...btw i put in clarion 6.5 components in mine if that helps

Comment

If you could, how did you make a plate out of the 5x7 for the 6.5, do you mean you fit the 6.5 in as well as the tweeter in the outline of the 5x7?

Comment

the best way to make the adapters is from 1/4" wood. it will give you a solid mount, and it shouldn't have much vibration, like a metal or plastic adapter will take the stock speakers out, and trace around them onto the wood. also trace where the opening for the stock speakers goes on the wood, so you don't cut the hole for the components too close to an edge then draw the circles for the component mid bass and tweeters. make sure to put the tweeters as far forward as possible for best sound in the front doors. you'll want to cut out the holes for the components first, then the whole adapter. when you are done, and you test fit it, you'll need to seal the wood up with wood sealer or latex paint, so any water that gets into the door doesn't destroy the adapter

Comment

Working...
        X