Meguiars PlastX and Mothers Plastic Polish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meguiars PlastX and Mothers Plastic Polish

Has anyone tried Meguiars PlastX or Mothers Plastic Polish on your head and taillights? These products are excellent for cleaning them. When applying these products on your headlights, you'll see a mirrored effect around your lights that you may not have seen since your car was brand new. It's a great effect in detailing your car.

Also, applying these products will project your headlights a further distance. As one photographer friend of mine, who tried this product, told me that he gained an f/stop of light by cleaning his headlight lenses. Also, cleaning your taillights will produce a magnificent deep ruby-red effect.

I was able to find this product in a $0.99 package (enough to clean your lights a couple times over) at various Autozone stores. For some reason, I couldn't find this sample package in Kragen/Checkers/Schucks or Pep Boys. However, I was able to find this in full bottles at all three places for about five bucks each.

There are other steps to further clean your lenses to produce an even sharper effect but, this requires wet sanding with extra fine grain sandpaper. However, I'm fine with using these products.

I unfortunately tried this on my dashboard plastic shield and it produced scratches. Probably, this plastic is a little soft. Luckily, for me, I applied it in a small, inconspicuous area where it was not too obvious.

Give it a shot, I think you'll dig either one of these products.

Peace out!
    SHRED

Originally posted by shred
    Has anyone tried Meguiars PlastX or Mothers Plastic Polish on your head and taillights? These products are excellent for cleaning them. When applying these products on your headlights, you'll see a mirrored effect around your lights that you may not have seen since your car was brand new. It's a great effect in detailing your car.

Also, applying these products will project your headlights a further distance. As one photographer friend of mine, who tried this product, told me that he gained an f/stop of light by cleaning his headlight lenses. Also, cleaning your taillights will produce a magnificent deep ruby-red effect.

I was able to find this product in a $0.99 package (enough to clean your lights a couple times over) at various Autozone stores. For some reason, I couldn't find this sample package in Kragen/Checkers/Schucks or Pep Boys. However, I was able to find this in full bottles at all three places for about five bucks each.

There are other steps to further clean your lenses to produce an even sharper effect but, this requires wet sanding with extra fine grain sandpaper. However, I'm fine with using these products.

I unfortunately tried this on my dashboard plastic shield and it produced scratches. Probably, this plastic is a little soft. Luckily, for me, I applied it in a small, inconspicuous area where it was not too obvious.

Give it a shot, I think you'll dig either one of these products.

Peace out!
    SHRED
    I bought and used some Meguiars PlastX yesterday. My mom had her front left headlight on her Toyota Yaris pranged by someone so she has one new headlight, and one yellowed headlight. Tried this stuff and sort of worked. Definitely brings out more shine and puts a protective film over the surface. I think you will need to put several coats of this stuff on for it to shine like new.

The main thing I like about it is the protective coating effect. It feels squeaky clean protected to the touch when you run your fingers over it. Suppose to resist stone chips etc.
    Andrew
    1996 Mazdaspeed Familia
    My Familia

Comment

Right on Andrew, I'm glad you tried this. I found when I used this for the first time and my lights were cloudy, it took a couple applications for me to remove everything. Just make sure that, when you use this stuff, apply it liberally for cleaning and then wipe it off with a clean cloth (or the clean portion of the cloth) until the product disappears.

As far as the protective coating is concern, if I were a betting man, I wouldn't put any money down if this product can protect from chipping. You may want to get 3M Clearguard protective film for your headlights after you clean your lights. It is true that you get a nice clean smooth feeling set of headlights after your are done cleaning with this.

Comment

Originally posted by shred
        Right on Andrew, I'm glad you tried this. I found when I used this for the first time and my lights were cloudy, it took a couple applications for me to remove everything. Just make sure that, when you use this stuff, apply it liberally for cleaning and then wipe it off with a clean cloth (or the clean portion of the cloth) until the product disappears.

As far as the protective coating is concern, if I were a betting man, I wouldn't put any money down if this product can protect from chipping. You may want to get 3M Clearguard protective film for your headlights after you clean your lights. It is true that you get a nice clean smooth feeling set of headlights after your are done cleaning with this.
        Ah, ok. Use more of the stuff, gotcha. And use a clean cloth, not the rag that's used numerous times before to clean the car and left out to dry...
        Yeah, I was just reading straight off the bottle that's all. I really meant that squeaky clean feeling
        Andrew
        1996 Mazdaspeed Familia
        My Familia

Comment

Working...
        X