90-97 BP/BPT Performance Cams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90-97 BP/BPT Performance Cams

I've been approved as an authorized vendor so I'll be offering performance cams to the Club Protege community.

For natural aspirated BP engines 90-97:

INT: 0.362" lift, 214deg @ 0.050" , 264deg advertised
    EXH: the same as the intake or (0.353" lift, 209deg @ 0.050", 258deg adv.)

If you want a better idle and a descent low end power without affecting much top end power I suggest you go with the smaller exhaust cam.

For those that want to keep the stock BP exhaust cam profile and only change the intake cam, the gains will be at least 12whp more if you have an intake & exhaust setup. Adjustable cam gears are recommended for fine tunning.

Expect between 15whp to 20whp more if you have intake and exhaust setup with both intake & exhaust cams swapped. Adjustable cam gears are recommended for fine tunning.

For turbocharged BP/BPT engines 90-97:

INT: 0.352" lift, 202deg @ 0.050", 246deg adv.
    EXH: 0.353" lift, 209deg @ 0.050", 258 deg adv.)

Idle is not affected with these cams, and this cam setup was dyno proven of a turbocharged BP engine with a GTR turbo&manifold to give an additional 28whp and 22lb-ft at 8psi with the help of adjustabe cam gears.

PRICE:

*$180US for one cam to be regrinded ($5 will be donated to club protege)
    *$335US for both cams to be regrinded ($10 will be donated to club protege)

Shipping is extra, shipping is almost the same price for 1 or two cams, it should be around $25 - $30US for continental US.

You cores (stock BP cams) are required in order to regrind them to the desired specification. For the 0.362" lift cam profile, a BP exhaust cam is required to be regrinded and it will be converted into a BP intake cam. I have some extra cores but I'll have to charge for them and once you remove & ship your existing stock BP cam I can refund the core deposit. Turn around time is 2-3 business days + shipping time (3-6 business days).

Email me if you're interested at mike.seliniotakis@videotron.ca for more details & prior shipping.

* These prices are valid until January 2006.
    Last edited by mike323; 10-24-2005, 09:58 AM.
    92 323 with BP DOHC
    ported/polished head, regrinded cams, JUN adjustable cam gears, ported AFM, ported/knife edged intake manifold.

N/A project dropped.

when cams are regrinded, how do you increase lift without adding material to the lobe?
    (or is that what you will be doing?)

Comment

Originally posted by pigeon
      when cams are regrinded, how do you increase lift without adding material to the lobe?
      (or is that what you will be doing?)
      The stock base circle on BP cams is 1.415". The base circle is the smallest diameter on a cam profile.

Because 90-97 BP engines use HLA that means that the lifter can compensate for a smaller base circle, up to a certain amount. The oil pressure pumps the lifters. 99+ BP engines use solid lifters therefore if you regrind the 99+ cam you will have to compensate the base circle change by adding more shims (change in base circle /2)

If I use a cam profile that will increase lift by 0.020" more than means that my base circle will be reduce by at least 0.045", the HLA will pump 0.0225" more than before.

If I used the stock BP intake cam (0.318" lift) and planned to regrind it to a cam profile that will increase lift by 0.040" more to (0.358") that means that my base circle will be at lease 0.090" smaller. This decrease in base circle is near the limit of the BP HLA therefore I would use the exhaust cam which has (0.338" lift) and therefore only reduce its base circle by at least 0.045" instead of 0.090".

BTW, the HLA will be much quieter than before due to this change in base circle. This has been noticed on all Mazda engine with 30mm HLA (K8, KL, KF, BP, FE3).
      Last edited by mike323; 10-24-2005, 12:23 PM.
      92 323 with BP DOHC
      ported/polished head, regrinded cams, JUN adjustable cam gears, ported AFM, ported/knife edged intake manifold.

N/A project dropped.

Comment

where are you in montreal? i'm right across the boarder. might be interested in some head PnP work as well.

Comment

This is very nice, but I have solid lifters. Do you have or do you plan on having an application for solid lifter BP's? How about solid lifters + turbo? Will you ever do something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by mike323
            Idle is not affected with these cams, and this cam setup was dyno proven of a turbocharged BP engine with a GTR turbo&manifold to give an additional 28whp and 22lb-ft at 8psi with the help of adjustabe cam gears.
            Do you possibly have the before and after dyno graphs if this has been dyno proven?
            -------------------------
            '91 LX
            '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

The stock base circle on BP cams is 1.418". The base circle is the smallest diameter on a cam profile.

Because 90-97 BP engines use HLA that means that the lifter can compensate for a smaller base circle, up to a certain amount. The oil pressure pumps the lifters. 99+ BP engines use solid lifters therefore if you regrind the 99+ cam you will have to compensate the base circle change by adding more shims (change in base circle /2)

If I use a cam profile that will increase lift by 0.020" more than means that my base circle will be reduce by at least 0.045", the HLA will pump 0.0225" more than before.

If I used the stock BP intake cam (0.318" lift) and planned to regrind it to a cam profile that will increase lift by 0.040" more to (0.358") that means that my base circle will be at lease 0.090" smaller. This decrease in base circle is near the limit of the BP HLA therefore I would use the exhaust cam which has (0.338" lift) and therefore only reduce its base circle by at least 0.045" instead of 0.090".

BTW, the HLA will be much quieter than before due to this change in base circle. This has been noticed on all Mazda engine with 30mm HLA (K8, KL, KF, BP, FE3).
              do you have access to hardwelding?
              or to blank camshafts?

so the solid lifter guys wont have to add more weight to our valvetrain

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
                This is very nice, but I have solid lifters. Do you have or do you plan on having an application for solid lifter BP's? How about solid lifters + turbo? Will you ever do something like that?
                I don't have any cam profile of for solid lifter application and I don't see much demand. Why don't you use two 99 BP exhaust cams.

If I where to design and provide a cam made for solid lifter I would require to use Mazda cores in order to come up with the same base circle diameter, which is 1.418".
                92 323 with BP DOHC

N/A project dropped.

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
                  Do you possibly have the before and after dyno graphs if this has been dyno proven?
                  I'll check my emails tonight and post it.
                  92 323 with BP DOHC

N/A project dropped.

Comment

do you have access to hardwelding?
                    or to blank camshafts?

so the solid lifter guys wont have to add more weight to our valvetrain
                    I only do regrinds for most Mazda/Kia engines between 1990 - 1997. I just modify existing cam profiles that I get my hands on. I modify them based on valve spring data and other engine information.

If you have solid lifters I can't help you out. BTW the only advantage of solid lifters over to our HLA is at 7500+rpms.

If you have solid lifters I would recommend with a cam that has the same base circle diameter as stock. Weight of the camshaft has no impact in valvetrain performance, your valve's and retainer's combined weight have an impact.
                    Last edited by mike323; 10-24-2005, 12:43 PM.
                    92 323 with BP DOHC

N/A project dropped.

Comment

The stock base circle on BP cams is 1.415". The base circle is the smallest diameter on a cam profile.

umm, ONLY the 90-96 *PROTEGE* BPs use HLAs... the 97-98 *PROTEGE* BPs uses solid lifters
                      97 miata BPs still use HLAs... but we have PROTEGEs, *not* miatas
                      TheMAN
                      '01 BJFP MT
                      '05 BK3P HB AT

Come see the Protege FAQ

No, I don't own an MP5.
                      No, I don't drive a Protege 5.

Originally posted by R240NAII:
                      It's always, "hi, I'm 16, a flaming pissant, and have my parents hard-earned money that I'd like to blow, hold my hand and walk me through a course on driftnng/boosting/driving, but remember that I'm not intelligent enough to understand anything and will repeatedly ask the same basic, moronic questions, over and over again".

What happens when you send me PMs such as:
                      -Sending me a stupid question (no common sense, no logic, impractical, etc)
                      -Sending me a question that can be found searching or in the FAQ
                      -Sending me an illegible question (ie: bad grammar)
                      No you WON'T get flamed, you'll get ignored. The results will vary if you send flames/insults

Comment

Originally posted by TheMAN
                        umm, ONLY the 90-96 *PROTEGE* BPs use HLAs... the 97-98 *PROTEGE* BPs uses solid lifters
                        97 miata BPs still use HLAs... but we have PROTEGEs, *not* miatas
                        Correct. Kia Sephia also in 1997 had a Mazda BP engine with HLA. I beleive in 1998 they went with solid lifters as well.
                        Last edited by mike323; 10-24-2005, 01:09 PM.
                        92 323 with BP DOHC

N/A project dropped.

Comment

I searched through my emails and I didn't find it. I replaced my computer back in January 2004 and it should be in my older hardrive. Let me have a look at it.
                          92 323 with BP DOHC

N/A project dropped.

Comment

I have some bad news for you guys and myself. I connected my older hardrive which contained the dyno plot and noticed some smoke coming from the hardrive's board, and it doesn't work. My screwdrive was on the board as I booted my computer and I started smelling smoke. I'll check on ebay to see if I can get the same hardrive and use it's board to get all my data.
                            92 323 with BP DOHC

N/A project dropped.

Comment

Why don't you just contact the guy that did the dyno runs. I am pretty sure that he has kept the graphs? Maybe ask them to e-mail them to you again?
                              '91 LX
                              '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Working...
                              X