B & M Short shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B & M Short shifter

Bought the b &m short shifter about 2 months back. I noticed when I put it on that it was giving trouble going into second all the time especially when the car would get hot. Oiled it up and it still gives the same problem. Bought the urethane shifter bushings and it still gives trouble, it seems like I lose a half second in between shifts because it has to click so I will be going back to the stock one. Any one have this problem with b & m shifters or any other short shifters if so what did you do?

I have similar problems with my B&M. Sometimes (not always) when the car is hot, then shutdown for a few (like running into the store), then coming back, the shifter is extremely hard to shift into any gear. It feels super stiff, like someone poured glue into it. Eventually it frees itself up again then it's fine. I've tried adjusting the tightness of the bolt underneath, but either tight or loose it still does it. When I first installed the shifter, the uppermost o-ring rolled up and off and got pinched then split. I removed the shifter, but the o-ring was trashed. That ring is too big IMO. A smaller one would fit tighter and make it less likely to roll off. Anyway, I left it off. I don't know if that causes the problem, but I really don't think so. Also I was going to install bronzeoil bushings on the shifter and the front linkage, but I got the nylon ones from Mazda instead. I might get the bronzeoils now and see if that helps.
    Scott
    '94 Protege LX - gone, but not forgotten
    '96 Volvo 854T Platinum Limited Edition
    '98 Volvo V70 T5
    '03 Mazda MPV GFX

Comment

getting the bronze ones is not going to help it at all. i have the b&m shifter with the bronze bushings in my car now, and it is really hard to shift like you guys are saying. but i noticed that the bronze shifter bushings make it a little harder to shift. so i would possibly go with some energy suspension ones or something, i dunno. anybody else got any suggestions?
      Create your own VB Gallery here.

Please DONATE to keep our forum alive!

I've decided that my car is a girl, she's picky as hell, won't listen to me, always wants to fight me, and when i give her presents it's never good enough and she always wants more.

<-"Will be the death of this forum"

Comment

are you thinking of the difference inbetween a standard bronze bushings and bronzeoil bushings? bronzeoil is a self lubricating type of metal if i'm correct.. would this not make the difference.. if not, don't get a b&m shifter
        peace

Comment

I have the kartboy shifter and have never really had any of the aformentioned problems. Maybee just a problem with the B&M?
          2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Originally posted by Marc93lx
            I have the kartboy shifter and have never really had any of the aformentioned problems. Maybee just a problem with the B&M?
            i've read of a few issues with each shifter. none of them are bad. it is just the Kartboy seems to stick out as a quality product. as for problematic shiftng, try a more is better aproach with a thicker grease.
            When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
            Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
            Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
            So his engine he goosed
            With much too much boost,
            And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

My guess would be your shifter forks are bent or something of the like.

I had to replace my fork after problems going into 3rd. It turned out being a bit rusted and bent where it connects to the shifter lever.
              93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
              02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
              05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Well I think i will just put on the stock shifter or purchase a kartboy and see how it shifts if it doesnt give any trouble then it was the shifter. I have heard people with imports integras, civics, complain of the same thing that second gear gives alot of trouble to go into. I would try to get another from b & m but i purchased it on ebay.

Comment

it could alos be that someone uses the shifter as a hand rest.
                  When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                  Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                  Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                  So his engine he goosed
                  With much too much boost,
                  And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

What about the OBX shifters ?

- 95 323 Neo + GT-R ( http://323.a-spec.ca )
                    - 90 Protege GT
                    - 91 Protege 4WD
                    - 93 323 + T3/T04E

Comment

i have had the kartboy for about a year now and love the thing. never had a single problem with it. much better feel than the stock shifter. i also have the urethane shifter bushings from wil, and the thing shifts so nice and smoothly now.
                      '04 altima 2.5s sonoma sunset

Nismo CAI
                      18" ASA AR1's wrapped in Dunlop Direzza 225/45WR18

Comment

Working...
                      X