Good Deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Deal?

Alright, so my friends gonna sell his subs to get some better replacements, he gave me a deal, he has two 12 inch kenwood 3009's, in a sealed unported enclosure

Specs on subs are 200 watts rms , 800 watts max, 93 db SPL

the sealed box is just a regular store bought one,
    no fancy hand made stuff

he wants 200 even for everything, amp not included, he said he paid like 280 for everything

heres a pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...2/5df833fc.jpg
    Last edited by Vash00es; 10-30-2005, 04:06 PM.
    Joe H
    2000 Chevy Impala
    3400 3.4 Liter V6
    Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
    U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
    Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

For 200 bucks, you could find better. Personally.. a set of used kenwoods.. i wouldn't pay more than 80 bucks for, the box isn't worth that much. Buy some better subs off of e-bay and snag a big dog box while you're at it, you'll walk away with better quality than what he's offering @ $200 bucks.

Comment

he said he paid 140 each for the kenwoods, and he's only had them 3 months
      Joe H
      2000 Chevy Impala
      3400 3.4 Liter V6
      Fun Times

Comment

Originally posted by Vash00es
        he said he paid 140 each for the kenwoods, and he's only had them 3 months

$130 for a pair

most places sell them for $100 each. if your buddy paid $140 each, he got ripped off. i wouldn't pay even $100 for a pair of them brand new.

Comment

you know i used to think alpine subs were the bright shining high end light at the end of the tunnel... but then i noticed there sensitivity... some alpine subs have a SPL of something stupidly low like 86 DB's... i thought they were supost to be good!
          Joe H
          2000 Chevy Impala
          3400 3.4 Liter V6
          Fun Times

Comment

you know i used to think alpine subs were the bright shining high end light at the end of the tunnel... but then i noticed there sensitivity... some alpine subs have a SPL of something stupidly low like 86 DB's... i thought they were supost to be good!

well ****, my brahma must suck with it's 83 dB sensitivity don't concern yourself with the sensitivity spec.

Comment

its important though.. i read somewere that a sub with 3 DB's more will take half the power to run then a sub with 3 DB's less
              Joe H
              2000 Chevy Impala
              3400 3.4 Liter V6
              Fun Times

Comment

You can always buy a better amp, or run a ported box to increase efficency. Its not an important number.

Comment

Originally posted by zerocover
                  You can always buy a better amp, or run a ported box to increase efficency. Its not an important number.

ding ding ding, we have a winner :microwave

subs with lower efficiency generally have higher power ratings for a reason, they are less efficient. that comes from stiffer suspension and a more powerful magnet. what does that translate to? a louder sub when fed more power.

now if you are comparing a sub with an 86 dB rating and a sub with an 89 dB rating, both with the exact same linear excursion capabilities, the one with the 89 dB rating will only need half the power to get as loud as the one with the 86 dB rating. but that almost never happens that subs of equal output potential will have such different sensitivity ratings.

also keep in mind that the sensitivity ratings are not accurate from many manufacturers.

Comment

Alpines are better than what you're considering buying.. thats the least I can say reguarding that issue. On the topic of Retail/Chain-Store level merchandise, it's sad to say that there isn't much else out there that is better than Alpine. And to the average Joe (no pun intended), it's really not going to matter. My suggestion to you is picking up a pair of dual 2ohm Type-S 12 inch Alpine subs (SWS-1222D model number) for about 80 a piece. then find a strong aftermarket box (ported if you want) and just let it wail. I'd run a 2 ohm load and have a hefty amp thats able to **** 500 watts RMS and you'll be set. The cost is a little greater than the 200 your buddy is asking, however, you're getting better performing subs with a hell of alot more capability. Thats my $.02 cents.
                    Kevin

Comment

Any words on the Boston Acoustics 12 inch G2 Subwoofers?
                      Joe H
                      2000 Chevy Impala
                      3400 3.4 Liter V6
                      Fun Times

Comment

I know nothing about them, either than to say they seem pretty well engineered. The RMS ratings on Boston Acoustic equipment are much more accurate (closer to spec?) than most I've come across. If money isn't an issue, than certainly it's a nice sub. I'd like to know what Blue has to say about these as I definately have respect for Boston Acoustic products, however, seeing as they've gone big-time retail.. i'm skeptic. It seems that Boston has traversed in trying to make their products not only sound good but look good. So who knows?

Comment

Any words on the Boston Acoustics 12 inch G2 Subwoofers?

BA tends to be a bit overpriced, IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                          X