Which one of these is which?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which one of these is which?

So I'm looking for a winter beater, and I found two Pro's and a 323 all at the same dealership. They're all automatics, all under $1000, and all over 130,000 miles. I haven't had a chance to look too closely at them yet, but they all look like decent (but old and well-used) cars. A little rust, a dent or two, you know.

They are: 1990 Pro SE, 1991 Pro DX, and 1991 323. My question for you guys is, which one has which engine, and what are the trim differences between the Pros? I assume the 323 is a 1.6, and the DX is a 1.8 SOHC, but did the SE come with a BP? Which one of these would be most reliable (condition notwithstanding)? Anything specific I need to watch for with these cars? I'm test-driving them all sometime next week.

Thanks in advance, and forgive my stupid questions -- after all, I'm just an ignorant upstart 3rd genner...
    ~Mark.
    2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

no problem there, the SE is the SOHC 1.8 litre engine, the 323, however, i couldn't tell you the first thing about. just remember the key rules when looking at cars, thats all. look for fresh oil spots where the cars are parked, look the engine up and down, check the belts, strange engine noises, any noises when steering (especially any axle, wheel bearing, or grinding noises), smooth shifts between gears, everything under the sun. good luck bro
    peace

Comment

I drive a 323, and I personally am a fan of a hatch. Both really good cars, just follow demons advice.

Look them all over up and down and take plenty of test drives.

Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

323 is probably the 1.6 SOHC, none have any issues over each other. Make sure the automatic works well, check the fluid level.
        2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

all three are very reliable. but run your finger along and seam in the body paneling, like the sem between the door and the body, around the hood. if it feels uneven that is because of bodywork, aka this car has been in an accident. this is also something to keep in mind
          When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
          Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
          Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
          So his engine he goosed
          With much too much boost,
          And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Cool, thanks. I guess it comes down to condition, then, and whichever one looks/feels/drives best. I'll be looking and probably buying sometime late next week. I'm leaning towards the 323 because of the hatchback, but we'll see what happens. Thanks to all for the advice.
            ~Mark.
            2002 Protege DX 5 speed, "Kenmore White," well-loved and a little over half paid-for

Comment

Working...
            X