November 2005 RotM - Mazda Madness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

November 2005 RotM - Mazda Madness

Voting was completed, and the much anticipated November RotM is obviously MazdaMadness. MazdaMadness brought a tear to all of our eyes with his heart felt story of his "Mrs. Robinson" and all of the hardships that she went through. Many of you felt that alone was enough to grant MazdaMadness with the November 2005 ClubProtege Ride of the Month. Congratulation's man, you deserve it!

1990 Mazda 323 Sedan
    My parents ordered it in Zagreb somewhere in May, 1990 and the car arrived on train from Amsterdam in December! I was 3 years old then and i remember every moment of the first family new car drive!

Modifications:
    GTX Steering Wheel
    Cone Filter
    Kayaba Gas Struts

About the car and it's owner:
    My name is Marijan, im 19 and cant imagine myself driving something that isnt mazda, or driving slow

The engine is a B6, which runs like hell compared to other engines here in Europe that are similar by ccm and hp. And of course, its in perfect shape, no mather what you do to it and how you drive it... (once I had to brake hard and with braking I downshifted from third to second gear at ~120kmh, engine screamed, tach needle hit 8000rpm and got stuck there. I had to turn off the engine and start it up again to get the needle back to normal again LOL). So, the engine stays untill it dies, or if it becomes boring, I`ll try to kill it by making the first B6 SOHC turbo mod hehe.

I came up with a name for the car 3 years ago. The idea came up after watching the movie "The Graduate". Mrs. Robinson is older woman who tought a young boy "some stuff". I figured out that everything I learned about cars, I learend on my Mazda, and she was bought via "Autohaus Robinson" in Graz, Austria.

So, its a 1990 323 sedan, what you call Protege. It's powered with a B6-E engine, 1.6 8v injection, some say 82 hp, 84hp, 86...whatever, what I know that it is faster than most of cars which are around 110hp or so. My parents ordered it in Zagreb somewhere in May, 1990 and the car arrived on train from Amsterdam in December! I was 3 years old then and I remember every moment of first the family new car drive! War in Croatia came when the Mazda was 6 months old. My dad was driving from a far part of town and the sirens around the town were on telling that air strike on Zagreb was in progress. Everybody was running home. A bus oversteered on a road and started spinning towards my dad, to avoid a direct crash (and they were both around 50-60mph) my Dad turned hard and hit a military road block, went trough it and stopped. The car was totaled. The hood was rolled on the roof and both sides were torn open. My Dad managed to start the car and he drove home for 5 miles without a radiator and a lemon size hole on oil pan. The engine survived, without coolant or any oil, impressive. After that, My folks fixed the car.

When i was around 9 my mom tought me how to start a car since I was showing a lot of interest. When I turned 13, I drove it up and down our 50 meter long street.

The ugly part...

For 15 years my mom was driving it... nobody acutally cared about the car (struts weren`t replaced for 200 000km!!!) She`s full of dents, suspension is a disaster because everything is still first parts on her and croatian roads are sh*t!

Now, this is where I fit in. My strongest wish came true when I turned 18. I got my license and the 323 was all mine (mom and dad wanted to buy a Citroen Xsara diesel but i said that i will move out if they do it so they bought a 323 sedan BJ)! The car, full of dents, squeaking, on crappy michelin 175/70/13, and I didnt spare the car one bit. I drove it hard all the time, and the car was just faster and faster. Made me sooo happy many many times, after killing some guys in new cars which say "GTI" and such, asking me: "What the hell is that"? Most always a simple answer with a smile was enough: "Its a Mazda"

Of course, we have our local automotive forum here and many many of us meet every Sunday. At first nobody could understand why im i so interested about old boxy, a bit rusted, Japanese thing. A few Sundays later many of them realized. Hehe

Im a student and everything related to cars in Croatia is extremely expensive (gas is 5,60$ per gallon). I worked during summer this year, didnt go to any kind of vacation to earn money for new struts, engine mounts, ball joints and bushings. And so I did. I installed new KYB gas struts, I had eibachs planned, but I didnt have enough money for rims and tires so I gave up on that idea for a while. I did all kinds of stuff with this car. Some say that Im crazy, but what the hell, if its fun, I`ll do it!

And there you have it. The story that won our hearts, lol. Lets all give a big congrats and a pat on the back to Marijan for his relentless dedication to his car.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Most excellent!!

Congrats Marijan!!!

Comment

congratulations!

yes he deserved it... and yes it was pretty much obvious he would be this month's ROTM... but since he actually won it fair and square, he and his car has gained legendary status!
      TheMAN
      '01 BJFP MT
      '05 BK3P HB AT

Come see the Protege FAQ

No, I don't own an MP5.
      No, I don't drive a Protege 5.

Originally posted by R240NAII:
      It's always, "hi, I'm 16, a flaming pissant, and have my parents hard-earned money that I'd like to blow, hold my hand and walk me through a course on driftnng/boosting/driving, but remember that I'm not intelligent enough to understand anything and will repeatedly ask the same basic, moronic questions, over and over again".

What happens when you send me PMs such as:
      -Sending me a stupid question (no common sense, no logic, impractical, etc)
      -Sending me a question that can be found searching or in the FAQ
      -Sending me an illegible question (ie: bad grammar)
      No you WON'T get flamed, you'll get ignored. The results will vary if you send flames/insults

Comment

Congrats dude!
        Is that the first car out of the US to win RotM? If so, very well deserved....

That sums up what we wanted out of RotM in the first place. A good story about the car/owner, along with everything else.....not just a mod list with a couple of high quality photos. Finally an excellent example for us all!
        -------------------------
        '91 LX
        '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235
        -------------------------

Originally posted by pigeon
        well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

Originally posted by Identity_X
          Congrats dude!
          Is that the first car out of the US to win RotM? If so, very well deserved....

That sums up what we wanted out of RotM in the first place. A good story about the car/owner, along with everything else.....not just a mod list with a couple of high quality photos. Finally an excellent example for us all!
          Nope we had a Canuck (Mr. Mosshead) selected a few rotm's ago.

And as you said, THIS is what RotM is about. The dedication and love of the car. This proves you don't have to have a mod list a mile long to be selected.
          2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Congrats Dude... You deserve it!!!

Comment

THANK YOU!!!! Im so proud and happy

"Her" real life is just beginning and I promise you all that this BG will zoom zoom around for a long long time
              One day you are born,
              The next big milestone
              you discover go zoom-zoom
              you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

CONGRATS, its a great looking car, but from your avatar, looks like she has a booboo? whats up with that?
                Maroon 1995 Probe SE
                Beige 1994 Protege DX
                Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

Originally posted by maz94protege
                  CONGRATS, its a great looking car, but from your avatar, looks like she has a booboo? whats up with that?
                  LOL, she`s at the "doctor" these days Im waiting for insurance and paperwork... stupid rich woman went trough red light with mercedes and i fu*ked her up

First non american ROTM wheee

EDIT:
                  I just wanted to add... this is also first nomination for a crashed car haha
                  Last edited by MazdaMadness; 11-08-2005, 01:02 PM.
                  One day you are born,
                  The next big milestone
                  you discover go zoom-zoom
                  you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

WooHoo..congrats man!

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaMadness
                      LOL, she`s at the "doctor" these days Im waiting for insurance and paperwork... stupid rich woman went trough red light with mercedes and i fu*ked her up

First non american ROTM wheee

EDIT:
                      I just wanted to add... this is also first nomination for a crashed car haha

lol dont mean to burst your bubble but mine was in a wreck and I got nom'd the month before.... but yours is getting fixed WAY faster.
                      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
                      X