GTX motor cutting back at 4.5k

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GTX motor cutting back at 4.5k

My gtx swap has been running really well, i had a problem of it cutting back bad at about 3.5k and found a loose charge pipe to be the problem. Now another problem has come along. IT acclerates hard when boost hits and keeps accelerating then at 4.5k all of the sudden it feels like someone shoved a potato up the tail pipe. It feels like the motor just stops flowing. Basicly its just cutting back. Any ideas? maybe a boost leak? Why would it all of the sudden stop acclerating like that.

Either boost cut or another type of fuel cut past 5k rpm ... something to do with not grounding a certain pin. The aussie guys at Fordlaser.com can tell you more about it.

Comment

isn't having a fuel cut instead of an ignition cut extremely dangerous on a boosted motor? wtf was mazda thinking.
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Ok so give me some more info here. When does boost cut normally turn on? How does it turn on? What activates it? When does fuel cut normally turn on, what would activate it? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
          isn't having a fuel cut instead of an ignition cut extremely dangerous on a boosted motor? wtf was mazda thinking.

not really, cause you're not running it lean....you're just not running at all. And a spark cut ruins the cat.
          '99 Miata - Begi manifold, T3, 2.5'' exhaust, ebay fmic, 460cc injectors, megasquirt, LC1, and toyota coil on plug conversion..

Comment

how would you not run lean? even for the slightest moment?
            ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
            he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

you don't get any ignition of the air inside the cylinders if you get no fuel.

Comment

Check for other boost leaks before comdemning anything else. If you have to, take the the intake track apart to inspect all rubber goods and connections.
                V6 swap write-up

Computer support, troubleshooting, and maintenance

Comment

What size injectors are you runnin? Ive got 460's in mine and I had the same problem so I tuned my afc controller and tuned my timing to fix the problem. but mine is a n/a motor w/ the gtx turbo setup and n/a ecu.
                  1990 Protege 4wd: BP05 forged internals, Mild ported head, GTR intake manifold, Gates racing timing belt, GTX transmission, Stage 3 clutch, 60trim T-3 turbo, Custom down pipe,3" Stainles exhaust, , Walbro fuel pump, RB-Performance fmic kit, HKS bov, Aurfa coilovers, F&R drilled slotted rotors, 16" BBS wrapped with Advan Novea tires, EDM glass headlights with HID's, Familia front and rear bumpers.

Boosted 1990 4WD
                  http://www.wihandyman.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32462

sigpic

Comment

Stock injectors. My buddies that work at dealerships all agree that it is fuel cut not boost cut. What makes fuel cut turn on? We are going to get a FCD from an rx7 and see what happens.

Comment

Fuel cut = the result of boost cut. Basically if your VAF flap opens past a certain point, the ECU thinks you'rs overboosting and it cuts fuel.

Now have you tried slowly getting to 4.5k rpm? So that you are not making any boost? Because it might be something else if its the same rpm in every gear. Like I said, check fordlaser.com for info as well. They were talking about a certain 5k rpm cut

Comment

If i accel slow it doesnt do it. But i know there is no way that im running 14psi to hit boost cut. I havent got a boost gauge yet, still waiting on it. But i know what 14psi feels like. Yea i have been reading that website.

Comment

Im going to buy a new thermostat and thermoswitch for my gtx motor. Do these need to be actual gtx parts or will normal BP parts work?

Comment

BP ones will work fine .... you can buy a colder thermostat if you want ... it will keep the engine cooler

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
                              Fuel cut = the result of boost cut. Basically if your VAF flap opens past a certain point, the ECU thinks you'rs overboosting and it cuts fuel.
                              Maybe his flap is misadjusted too much and thus hitting that "magic" spot WAY too early?!
                              **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                              95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Working...
                              X