Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

custum strut bar

hi,

i want to make a strut bar for my car, the bar that i saw on ebay seem a little fag and that why i planed to make one. should i make it adjudtable since i planed to fabricate it in place. also when i unblot the top part of my suspension to put the plate, should i get a alignment??? and if someone have strut bar can you tell me height in the middle. (i dont to cut my hood !!!)

thak'S

If you want to go through the trouble of making your own bar, you might as well make it a solid one piece bar.

I wouldn't get an alignment unless you actually remove the suspension. I don't think the upper mounts will move very much with the weight of the car on them.

I don't have any measurements but you shouldn't have any problems if you're making it in place. What do you plan to use to make it? I would get some 1/4 or 3/8 plate and a couple lengths of solid tubing. Take some measurements, bend the tubing, and weld.

Good luck!
    1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

prostreetonline.com or prostreetcar or something like that

they sell a ractive onet hat says its for our cars, but it's not, you have to drill 1 extra hole in it to make them fit. they sell from and back both. i suggest ordering them and using them, they work awesome in my car.

Comment

that what i was thiking, plate and tubing
        strutman how much that it cost you for the 2 bars
        and the 2 have to be modified only by ading 1 hole??
        the measure that i need his from the top of the motor head to the top of the bar

big up

Comment

yea u just drill one hole in them to fit. it's very easy. it was liek 50 bucks for both i think, something like that, just go to the site.

Comment

also, if you're making your own anyway, go the whole hog and make the triangle bar.
            it's superior if you go from tower to tower and from each tower to a single point on the firewall.

Comment

Thanks for the advice but i will probely go with a aftermarket one cause my friend that has the welding machine has just left for the whole winter so i ****ed

Comment

or you could buy the prostreet one and drill a hole in it.

lol

Comment

I did it with a 1st gen, so it my not have to much to do with you guys.
                  But,

1st-I went to the junk yard and found a stock strut bar off of a Buick or some American car like that

2nd-Cut and weld.

Works ok, not to bad for an afternoon.

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
                  98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

Toyota celica has the same width as a second gen but I am not sure what the first gen width is. Anyway the celica has a nice strut bar with supports that bolt to the fender as well. I will try and find a pic.

I know it's spelled protege! I just can't change it. Deal with it!

Comment

Are you saying that you have a Celica strut bar on your car right now? That would be an interesting find.
                      1997 Protegé ES: The Power of BP

Broke Status FTW!

Comment

No not yet I am going junkyarding tomorrow to get one and try it out. I will let you know tomorrow evening.

Comment

I have one.

But, it would have taken alot more time to make it fit.

PM me if you want to buy it.

94 Protege LX: HX-35, Megasquit, ect...
                          98 Subaru Legacy GT-DD: 1 inch lift, and all the standard N/A stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the idea dood. Found some stuff @ the j/y and made one for $6. A little cutting, bending and welding, and I'm done. Will paint it this week when I can get some rattle can paint. Pic below shows the part installed.
                            Attached Files
                            Current-'08 MZ3 Hatch auto, '04 MZ3 Hatch 5-spd, '03 Pro-Lx 5 spd,
                            '56 VW Cal Ragtop
                            www.cardomain.com/ride/2285117/1

Comment

Nice work. I didn't get to the junkyard today because they changed their schedule for winter and are not open on sunday's anymore. I will have to go tomorrow if I have time.

Comment

Working...
                              X