Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'93 Protege 5-speed 1.8 SOHC, How do you replace transaxle fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'93 Protege 5-speed 1.8 SOHC, How do you replace transaxle fluid?

I have a '93 Protege 5-speed 1.8 SOHC and, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to add transaxle fluid. The Haynes Auto Manual is no help either.

32mm or 23 mm?
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Re: '93 Protege 5-speed 1.8 SOHC, How do you replace transaxle fluid?

Originally posted by dhnarakis
      I have a '93 Protege 5-speed 1.8 SOHC and, for the life of me, I can't figure out how to add transaxle fluid. The Haynes Auto Manual is no help either.
      yeah that manual is a joke, but it s great for site attendance.
      welcome and yeah do what cablemirc sez.
      When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
      Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
      Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
      So his engine he goosed
      With much too much boost,
      And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

not to post-hijack but i did a search on the forums and my question/problem is somewhat related to this particular post i'm guessing..would people mind taking a look at this: my problem post

Comment

i have 3 liters of redline to go into mine, just too ****in lazy/cold to get out there n do it... lol
          "Squirrels are evil because they have thumbs."
          - Chick McGee

Comment

How do you guys pry the speed sensor out of the tranny. I can't get it out for the life of me. I tried a various sizes of screw drivers and pounding them in the lip but it was futile. I tried a big ass wood screw that would bite in, and treid to pry it out with a hammer but it pulled the center out. I then tried a big ass bolt remover, I managed to turn it (to break any corrosion) with a 2 foot breaker bar, then i tried to rock it out but broke the bolt remover(not good.) I then from underneath the damn car used a 4 inch metal sawz all blade to cut a bigger lip in the sensor I could pry with, still no go. Since it's already ruined I'm gonna get a chissel and try pounding it but there's no room to swing the hammer. I just converted my car from auto to manual and I really don't want to take the tranny back out. First I tried on the auto but actually broke the case. So any other suggestions would be great. Oh and the plastic peice of the senor is off it's just the peice in the tranny that won't come out.
            Last edited by bam; 11-07-2003, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Oil Capacity Question

Originally posted by cablemirc
              like i said, regardelss of the stated 2.83qt capacity.. it holds 4.
              Why do you keep saying that the transmission holds 4 quarts when the stated capacity is 2.83 qts? If you are putting more than 1 qt additional in aren't you taking a chance of damaging the oil seals or causing frothing of the oil? I put just under 3 qts in my 3rd gen box and that was enough to fill it according to the factory protocol. What is your reason for saying this? I'm just curious.
              02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
              MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
              MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
              Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
              MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
              Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
              Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
              Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
              Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
              Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
              Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
              Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
              Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

Originally posted by cablemirc
                like i said, regardelss of the stated 2.83qt capacity.. it holds 4.
                I just changd my DOHC manual transaxle fluid. It takes ATF and I put in about the specified 2.83 (I tried for 2.75 quarts) and it was definitely full.

"Mazderati"
                91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
                Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
                Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
                AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

ATF??? I guess the manual states that you can use that... How does it feel?

Comment

It doesn't just stay that you "can" use it, it specifies ATF for the DOHC manual.

It feels fine. A bit smoother than before. I didn't use any superfab synthetic or anything. Just Valvoline MaxLife ATF.

ATF is what drained out of it too, so I figure why go messing with it and put gear lube in when ATF came out.

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Boston
                      It doesn't just stay that you "can" use it, it specifies ATF for the DOHC manual.

It feels fine. A bit smoother than before. I didn't use any superfab synthetic or anything. Just Valvoline MaxLife ATF.

ATF is what drained out of it too, so I figure why go messing with it and put gear lube in when ATF came out.
                      Well, it says ATF or GL-4, but ATF is listed first for DOHC..., sorry I didn't know that. D'oh

Comment

I won't hold it against you

In my owners' manual, I think it lists ONLY ATF for manual tranny. As I said, I drained ATF, so I filled with the same. If gear lube came out, I would have been skeptical about whoever changed the fluid last (if ever) but I would have replaced it with gear lube.

"Mazderati"

AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Interesting. In my 92 manual it says GL-4 or ATF for SOHC, and vice versa for DOHC. Could this be the difference between the G5M-R (90-91) and the G25M-R (92-94)? Nobody has ever figured out the difference between the two, I believe. Hehe.

Comment

Working...
                          X