Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new amp/sub suggestion

hey guys,

i recently sold my 2 10in kicker compVR's and one of my jensen amps (didnt' have the same clean sound as i had when i just hada single sub). Now im looking to get rid of my other jensen amp (as i have an amp rack taht had 2 matching amps for my mids and then the subs)

im working on a really tight budget and i was looking at gettting some new power acoustic gothic series amps as they would go with my matching them (i already have a power acoustik 2.4F digi cap and one of their EQ's) so what i plan on doing is getting their 4 channel amp for the mids and highs and then get the same power 2 channel to power a single FUBR 10.
    that can all be had for around 250 USD

can someone recommend anything that would be better?

(maybe 5 channel amp or other comparable stuff for the same cost)

im not really particular for the brand (just hate it when peopel bash the jensen (i had to start somewhere)

Ive heard good things about the Lanzar Vibe amps and i liked the sound that my first sub made (10in Visonik (bottom end sub) in .88 sealed box)

As for the sub box i want to eventually build one of those boxes taht hihisilva made a tutorial about (can't wait till that is back up so i can make it available offline) but for now it'll just be a normal run of the mill sealed box

thanks for the help guys,

-rich
    2003 P5 Midnight Blue
    Buddy Club 2 Side skirts, DGM front lip
    OBX header, MAM SS midpip, HKS exhaust
    Racing beat sway, tokico hp's, tein stechs, gtspec tie bar, awr front motor mount
    sun ground kit
    5spd sunroof
    Carputer (DivX, MP3, NES, GPS, OBD-2 next)
    7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
    power acoustik 2.4f cap, power acoustik EQ, Power Acoustik A1800db
    6 RE 8's on the way

are you saying that for $250 you can get both amps and a fubr sub? depending on the amps, that's a helluva deal i haven't used any of the PA amps except the class D amps. installed the A1200DB in a friend's car, had an A1700DB powering my old MOFO15, which is now in another friends car, and i'm now using an A3000DB to power my brahma10 when it comes down to it, power is power there is much debate and arguing about whether there are really SQ oriented amps. when it comes down to it, a watt is a watt, and if the amplification side of an amp changes the sound, then something is truely wrong with the amp between the PA and lanzar amps, both are good amps for the money. post the amps, and prices you are getting on them, and i'll see if my distributor has them in stock, and what the wholesale price is

Comment

for the sub (i know it'll be grossly underpowerd but im content with that much power, if you got a better suggestion then give it )

for the mids and highs

then the FUBR 10 is like 80 shipped online. . .i know best buy carries it now for 70+tax free ship but i have a friend that can hopefully get it for me at best buy discount so that will put it around 250 and then all i would need is a box for it

the lanzar is http://www.millionbuy.com/lnzvibe530.html
      for this i would have to find a different sub i suppose since it doesnt say if its 1 ohm stable. .. and i would hate to see 150rms to the FUBR. . .correct?

i think the power acoustik amps might even be cheaper at million buy but i know discount ave as i have bought from them before and they have free shipp on everything

also. . there are some clearance audiobahn subs at thezeb.com
      are they anygood. . .price is a pretty good deal as of now
      The rare domain name TheZeb.com is now available for purchase, lease or rent for your next The Zeb project. The perfect name for your marketing and advertising campaigns.

EDIT: im glad someone here appreciates the "cheaper" brands. .man if i had the money it would to go higher end stuff but honestly sometimes i think it's way overatted. . ..i loved how the singe 10in visonik i had with 150 watts sounded. .and it was only a 40 dollar sub. .i love the way autotek stuff sounds. . ...but i can't finda place locally to get GS redline (same brand. .just looks cooler but you probably already knew that)
      Last edited by traitorhound; 10-26-2003, 08:47 AM.
      2003 P5 Midnight Blue
      Racing beat sway, tokico hp's, tein stechs, gtspec tie bar, awr front motor mount
      sun ground kit
      5spd sunroof
      7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
      6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

not bad choices for the money i'll check with my dist. and see what they can do, but i don't think it'll be much better if at all.

Comment

cool. .thanks, now all i gotta do is take measurements of my current amp rack and see if all the new goodies will fit

this is off topic. ..but what in theory shoud sound better?
          a single 10 with 300watts or 2 10's with 150 each?
          both in correctly sized sealed enclosures

casue im wondering why i liked the sound of one sub better (hence why im going back to it, or maybe its cause i just didnt' like how kickers sound)
          2003 P5 Midnight Blue
          sun ground kit
          5spd sunroof
          7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
          6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

it all depends on the sub say you have a single sub that needs 600 watts to really move it, and you have a 300 watt amp hooked to it. you won't push it anywhere near it's limits. course if you have 2 subs that need 150 watts each, and you have 300 total going to them, then you would be pushing them just right it's all about matching the amp and sub(s):p: so if your single 10 had an rms of 300 watts, and you gave it 300 watts, it would probably sound better than two 10's that have an rms of 300 watts, but you only give them 150 watts

Comment

hmm. . maybe ill rethink my thoughts on the sub then. ..as i don't wanna build a new amp rack. . i live in an apartment right now and don't have a garage to work on stuff
              2003 P5 Midnight Blue
              sun ground kit
              5spd sunroof
              7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
              6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

EDIT: im glad someone here appreciates the "cheaper" brands. .man if i had the money it would to go higher end stuff but honestly sometimes i think it's way overatted. . ..i loved how the singe 10in visonik i had with 150 watts sounded. .and it was only a 40 dollar sub. .i love the way autotek stuff sounds. . ...but i can't finda place locally to get GS redline (same brand. .just looks cooler but you probably already knew that)
                i missed that earlier granted i wouldn't mind running all top of the line stuff, and i could financially afford it, but i'd rather spend my money on more important stuff i love autotek equipment, and they are by no means a cheaper company, just not well known GS redline is no longer a part of millenium group, and they might not be around at all anymore you'll probably want the SQ sub with the amp you are getting, since the fubr has a stronger motor and needs more power the SQ has lower xmax, but half the magnet, so it will be much more efficient with lower power you might want to look into the class A/B series. they are the same power and probably have the same circuit board, but are cheaper, even though they are newer amps
                2 channel for the sub, $75
                4 channel amp, $100
                specs on the class A/B amps
                specs on the gothic amps
                specs on the fubr
                specs on the SQ
                SQ 10 is only $80

Comment

from looking at power acoustics stuff. .i was looking at the class a/b amps too. ..does that mean sincea ll the specs are the same (even the amp size so i would also think they same circuit boards) taht they are just he same amps in different casing.

but i have decided to move one step up since the next step higher for the sub is onlyl ike 10 dollars more and gives anotehr 150 rms to get 450rms to the sub

that is only 100 shipped for eitehr model of the PA 820 amp
                  but it doesn't say whether or not it is 2 ohm mono stable so i dunno if the SQ sub would work better than the FUBR then since the FUBR would be running at 4OHM on the amp to get 460rms wheras the SQ (if the amp isn't 2 ohm mono stable) would only get 360rms. ... ..

hmm. ... .you know what i just thought . my stuff is going to be inside a covered amp rack anyway. . .it doesn't need to look good. ..since that doesn't mean sounding good. . ..heh

but i was just checking out the LT series now and they have a 2 channel that puts out 560 rms mono and i think the price is a misprint but i hope they honor it. .. .hmm. . they have the same dimenions of the others but more efficient?
                  link: http://store.yahoo.com/discave/ltpowac2chan1.html

and then i would get the 4 channel from the same series to still keep the matching theme

then the fubr at cost (40 something, that's why i wanted the fubr originally ) puts me around 280 but tha'ts cool since ill have better stuff
                  2003 P5 Midnight Blue
                  sun ground kit
                  5spd sunroof
                  7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
                  6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

yeah, all the amps have the same circuit board, so the series doesn't matter get which ever fits your budget and power requirements where you getting the fubr for so cheap? that's about what i'd pay for it:p:

Comment

best buy discount...my friend works there. ..but if that falls thought you wanna get it for me and then hook it up at promazda?
                      2003 P5 Midnight Blue
                      sun ground kit
                      5spd sunroof
                      7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
                      6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

Originally posted by traitorhound
                        best buy discount...my friend works there. ..but if that falls thought you wanna get it for me and then hook it up at promazda?

i'll have to call my friend and have him check with our sales rep on if they have one in stock, but i don't see it as being a problem i'll try to remember to call about it tomorrow

Comment

sweet. ... thanks man

cuase if i get it from my friiend. . i still have to wait for is 30 day evaluation period to end so he can get the BB discount

and that time frame of 30 days started like last week. ....so it maybe faster to get it from you. ..LMK if you got it
                          2003 P5 Midnight Blue
                          sun ground kit
                          5spd sunroof
                          7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
                          6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

yeah, i hated waiting the 30 days when i started working at BB course after i got it i spent more than i made i'll try to check on it tomorrow, and see what kind of deal i can get. BB might be cheaper, since PA probably hooked them up with a quantity discount, but it can't hurt to check

Comment

Hey Brian. ...you think you can get me the amps at cost too?:p:

heh it was worth a shot

-Rich
                              2003 P5 Midnight Blue
                              sun ground kit
                              5spd sunroof
                              7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
                              6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

Working...
                              X