Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Right speaker trouble

Hi all,
    I was sooo happy to find this forum. Bought an unmodified 1990 Protege LX two months ago. It's temperamental but I like it.
    The front _and_ back speakers on the right side keep cutting in and out as I drive (at the same time, i.e. I either get sound on the right side or I don't). I took it by an audio shop and the guy was all "yeah, looks like an amplifier has blown. Common problem. Should be about $200 to replace."
    Now this is crap. I'm almost certain it's a loose wire, but I have no clue where to start looking. Any ideas?

Also, I'm interested in upgrading stuff for cheap (seats and the really loud *clickyclicky* tape deck). There's a Pick-N-Pull close by that I haven't checked out yet. Any suggestions on parts to look for?

umm, so u have an amplifier hooked to all of your speakers? It could be numerous things, the guy could be right about the amp. Do you still have factory speakers and factory head unit?
    1993 Mazda Protege LX 1.8L DOHC Now with 2 mtx bluethunder 12'' legend series subs, soon to be 2 mtx 12'' 7500 series! in 2 weeks! Im also getting a volfenhag amp

Comment

I don't know if I have an amplifier hooked to all my speakers, how do I check this?
      + If it was an amplifier problem wouldn't the speakers just, like, not work? Rather than working some of the time?
      Everything's stock.

Comment

If it is stock, i HIGHLY doubt that an amp has been installed. It sounds like a little wiring mishap. Find a way to check all of your connections. Maybe you just need a new head unit. I bought a cheap aiwa head unit from walmart for 100 bucks and it works perfect, I even have it hooked up to a pioneer 760 watt amp goin to 2 12inch subs. When i had my factory stereo in it, my speakers kinda went out like yours are doing on you. I would check the wires and if still no luck, just buy a new head unit.
        1993 Mazda Protege LX 1.8L DOHC Now with 2 mtx bluethunder 12'' legend series subs, soon to be 2 mtx 12'' 7500 series! in 2 weeks! Im also getting a volfenhag amp

Comment

Originally posted by gmonkey
          Hi all,
          I was sooo happy to find this forum. Bought an unmodified 1990 Protege LX two months ago. It's temperamental but I like it.
          The front _and_ back speakers on the right side keep cutting in and out as I drive (at the same time, i.e. I either get sound on the right side or I don't). I took it by an audio shop and the guy was all "yeah, looks like an amplifier has blown. Common problem. Should be about $200 to replace."
          Now this is crap. I'm almost certain it's a loose wire, but I have no clue where to start looking. Any ideas?

Also, I'm interested in upgrading stuff for cheap (seats and the really loud *clickyclicky* tape deck). There's a Pick-N-Pull close by that I haven't checked out yet. Any suggestions on parts to look for?
          The guy at the audio shop was talking about the amplifier in your stock head unit. $200 is bs, just go buy an aftermarket cd player. Shorted speaker wires or a loose connection (obviously) will also cause your speaker to cut out. Check those. As for cheap upgrades, find an MX-3. There's a bunch of goodies you can get from them. The seats, leather shift boot, carpet, steering wheel, rear tie bar if it's a V6, ect. If you have a sunroof, you can swap the metal panel for a glass one. Look around the forum for other ideas.

Comment

moved to car audio.

Welcome to our forum.
            The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Working...
            X