Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sound deadener review

awesome review.

Wow, thanks for the link. I am planning a full install in my next car, so it's nice to have some reference.

Comment

I knew e-Dead was an economical choice . Too bad I have to rip out the rear interior and trunk liner again as somehow my rear quarter panels were overlooked.. (think right behind rear door handle) .. EEEEK!!
      Kevin

Comment

So Brian, what's your take on this stuff? I finally read the whole thing through. Does this match your observations?

Also, I had some thoughts about the asphalt vs. butyl material. Based on this information I would definitely want to use butyl mat inside my car (or more likely the mixed stuff for price reasons), but what about the trunk? At least on the floor of the trunk, where smell is not an issue and it wouldn't fall off, would it make enough difference to make it worth buying the more expensive stuff? And where does the paint-on stuff fit into the picture?

Comment

that review seemed pretty darn good. decent objective testing of so many different mats. i'm glad to know that my observations of raammat being a great value with good results have some testing to back it up now. for the difference in cost of using the cheap asphalt mat in the trunk vs. the butyl/asphalt based, i'd still use raammat bxt. as for the paint on stuff, i don't like it for anything except really tight spaces.

Comment

(brown bread user) Dammit...

Comment

second skin for the win!

besides, they are giving 20% off right now, so they are the best value.

fatmat sucks, its way too thin. you have to use 3 or 4 layers of it.

Comment

i've heard quite a few good things about Accumat manufactured by Scosche. Anybody around here have them?

Comment

Originally posted by whistler
                  i've heard quite a few good things about Accumat manufactured by Scosche. Anybody around here have them?

i've heard it's pretty good as well. it's not well know, like pylemat from pyle, which i heard was quite good.

Comment

Anything named "pyle" makes me very suspicious.

Comment

lol i bought a **** load of second skin for my protege, installed it on one door, never got around to doing hte rest lol
                      ended up selling it

Comment

Originally posted by Chad
                        lol i bought a **** load of second skin for my protege, installed it on one door, never got around to doing hte rest lol
                        ended up selling it
                        Kinda like my car, i got done most of my deadening, reinstalled the carpet for about a couple days, then my trans went. off to the junkyard she went .

Comment

Kevin, this isn't your competition car, is it? What's the next car for you? Anyway, sorry to hear about your car.

I tried sound deadening myself and was sucessful at it. After painting the floor with Cascade (couldn't hear a difference) VB paint a year ago, I decided to go the full route in sound deadening. This included dynamatting the floor, doors, trunk, and so on. I also used carpet padding throughout the floor and trunk as well. I figure that carpet padding makes a great absorber of soundwaves.

I added one more step that I usually don't see after most people add carpet padding. I figure that rubber would make a great barrier for noise waves. A garageband friend of mine told me that he used rubber throughout his garage in order to soundproof his music from his neighbors. His friends crank up their music and he can't hear **** from outside his home. Therefore I gave it a try.

In the kitchen department at Home Depot, I found 18"x48" rubber sheets for about 5 bucks each. So, I bought six of them. I rolled them out and spray glued them over my carpet padding. Re-installed my carpet, replaced all chairs and trimmings and drove around.

It works well!

Unfortunately, I didn't have a control test for knowing what it would sound like without the rubber barrier idea but its gotta help with the lack of roadnoise that I am getting.

I'm thinking about using rubberized sprayon undercoating beneath the car. Using Simmons Beautyrest Therafoam as hoodliner and placing it strategically on my firewall. With the extra amount that I should have left, I'll stuff some in my dashboard. Hopefully, this can filter out more engine noise. And finally, has anyone heard of using expanding foam for sound insulation? I heard it's best to use it where you don't have no water contact with it because of rust.

Comment

Originally posted by shred
                            Kevin, this isn't your competition car, is it? What's the next car for you? Anyway, sorry to hear about your car.
                            It's been more than a year since then...

Comment

Originally posted by shred

I tried sound deadening myself and was sucessful at it. After painting the floor with Cascade (couldn't hear a difference) VB paint a year ago, I decided to go the full route in sound deadening. This included dynamatting the floor, doors, trunk, and so on. I also used carpet padding throughout the floor and trunk as well. I figure that carpet padding makes a great absorber of soundwaves.

I added one more step that I usually don't see after most people add carpet padding. I figure that rubber would make a great barrier for noise waves. A garageband friend of mine told me that he used rubber throughout his garage in order to soundproof his music from his neighbors. His friends crank up their music and he can't hear **** from outside his home. Therefore I gave it a try.

In the kitchen department at Home Depot, I found 18"x48" rubber sheets for about 5 bucks each. So, I bought six of them. I rolled them out and spray glued them over my carpet padding. Re-installed my carpet, replaced all chairs and trimmings and drove around.

It works well!

Unfortunately, I didn't have a control test for knowing what it would sound like without the rubber barrier idea but its gotta help with the lack of roadnoise that I am getting.

I'm thinking about using rubberized sprayon undercoating beneath the car. Using Simmons Beautyrest Therafoam as hoodliner and placing it strategically on my firewall. With the extra amount that I should have left, I'll stuff some in my dashboard. Hopefully, this can filter out more engine noise. And finally, has anyone heard of using expanding foam for sound insulation? I heard it's best to use it where you don't have no water contact with it because of rust.

2-3 layers of raammat BXT plus 1-2 layers of ensolite (also from raamaudio) is only about 1/2" thick and works great. the ensolite is very comparable to jute carpet padding. i'd guess that it is about 75% as effective in one layer (1/8") as 1/2" jute padding. that leaves the option of 3 more layers for some serious sound insulation.

Comment

Working...
                              X