Autocross alignment help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Autocross alignment help

If anyone doesnt know I'm driving a 99 Protege LX automatic in STS classic w/ the MSP struts, springs, strut tower bar, and AWR 21.5mm rear swaybar. I'm looking for a more agressive (but not too agressive, since this car is also my daily driver; don't want extreme tire wear) alignment that would be better for autocross. My friend has a 2002 Celica and also autoxes w/ me every month, he said alignment was a very big improvement for him.

I'm looking for little ways to improve my times..I'm off by maybe half a second compard to the compeition already...and quite frankly I think that's really good considering I have ~30-40 less HP and an automatic, baby!

Scroll down to STS:

What specs should I be looking for?

Here is what my friend is running...
    FRONT:
    Camber: - 2.0*
    Caster: not adjustable
    Toe: Zero
    REAR:
    Camber: -1.5*
    Toe: 1/4" total toe IN
    Clint/1999 "Sport20"

i know this doesnt help you with your question but i drive a 99 lx automatic. i am very interested in autocross but dont even know how or where to get started. i love watching and would like to participate but dont know what should be done to my car to build it for autocross or where i should practice driving ... any help would be great thanks

Comment

Check out http://www.scca.org/interactive/regions.html for the regional location closest to you...on their website they should have a list of autox dates and locations.

Here's a link to a very good novice handbook:

Hope this helps
      Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

yo wasup clint. Yea his car is bad ass. When you going to get that body kit on it? I just got some drop springs and soon my intake. So im trying to catch up. Keep me posted man. k peace

Comment

It's going on soon. The MP3 side skirts are sitting under my bed and so is the rear lip. I'm just waiting to order the sport20 bumper.
          Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

Clint, those camber settings would be good for you as well. Except dial in ~1/16" toe out, in both the FRONT AND REAR.
            "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
            -93 MR2, 129 ES
            ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
            Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Wow, I forgot I started this thread. I got my alignment done shortly after replacing my Racing Beat springs with some Eibach's. Here are the settings I finally settled on:

BEFORE:
              Left Front
              Camber: -1.2*
              Caster: 1.8*
              Toe: -0.17*

Right Front
              Camber: -1.0*
              Caster: 1.9*
              Toe: 0.07*

Left Rear
              Camber: -0.9*
              Toe: 0.21*

Right Rear:
              Camber: -0.8*
              Toe: 0.12*

AFTER:
              Left Front
              Camber: -1.2*
              Caster: 1.8*
              Toe: -0.00*

Right Front
              Camber: -1.0*
              Caster: 1.9*
              Toe: -0.01*

Left Rear
              Camber: -0.9*
              Toe: 0.00*

Right Rear:
              Camber: -0.8*
              Toe: 0.00*

I basically told the mechanic to get the maximum camble possible...and for the Protege's, it's not much at all as you can see. We'll see how this alignment setup goes at my next autox on the 18th.
              Clint/1999 "Sport20"

Comment

camber bolts are available from Mazda Motorsports. Cheap too, IIRC. It'll get you close to another degree of camber.
                "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
                -93 MR2, 129 ES
                ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
                Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Working...
                X