H4 bulbs cutoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H4 bulbs cutoff

I was just reading an article about H4 bulbs that seemed to be saying that the bulbs themselves create a nice horizontal cutoff regardless of the lamp housings they are in. Can anyone confirm this? It's the first I heard of that, and if it's true it would save me a lot of money.

I'm not talking about DOT H4... there is no such thing. H4 is the European standard, 9003 is the old DOT standard. As I said, it was the first I heard of it and I wondered if anyone else had heard something similar. It sounded far-fetched to me but I was curious.

And I am not asking about the Protege, I know what's available for that. I was asking for my Mercedes, which has a standard sealed beam light for which there are many cheaper conversions available, which I believe would be a good intermediate upgrade for safer lighting on the road until I can afford the real e-spec housings. I apologize if I offend you by being poor, but since I am I will always be looking for a cheaper way to achieve a better result, even if it is only temporary.

Comment

OK, here's what I was looking at:

I have a friend who put them on his 2nd gen MR2 and they work fairly well. We compared the cutoff to my old 3rd gen and it was close but not as good. However, it is definitely better than the old sealed beam DOT lights I have now which are dim and have no cutoff whatsoever.

The reason why I am considering these over the Cibie or Hella lights is the price. Daniel Stern sells the Cibie conversions for $62 apiece. I could probably afford this now, and it would give somewhat better performance than the $10 ebay ones, and certainly last longer. However, sometime in the next year I plan to invest in a good quality set of OEM e-spec headlights. I would like better light in the meantime but it's not worth it to me to spend half the price of the OEM lights for some conversions that I'll stop using in a year anyway.

I don't think I've actually seen my friend's MR2 with its highs on since he converted the lights, so I don't know how they would compare.

Comment

Oh sorry, I forgot to say that I would be getting better bulbs... I've had Osram Silverstars in every car I've owned for the last four years, I wouldn't dream of using the ones that came with that kit.

Comment

common curtesy also works...

Comment

Originally posted by MazdaRacer
            common curtesy also works...
            ?

Comment

Yes they do

As matter of fact the low beam H4 buld does produce a sharp cutoff , it is because the filament has a small shield ,if you look at it closely

But you can`t use h4 in lamps desingned for other bulb
              also the lens desing also helps thats why lamps in the USA BG chassis dont have a cutoff the 9004 bulbs dont have that small shield

someone here can confirm this if you have H4 Espec headlights in low beam you have a cut off line, but in high beam you dont.
              BHP=bull**** horsepower
              WHP=woop-ass horsepower

Come to the DarkSide ,Whe have Cookies!

Ok, so you wanna make your lightsabers. Yeehaw. Think about this though, when you make them...how are they going to be effective weapons? They are a melee weapon, requiring close range combat right? Well, say I've got a gun and I pop a cap in your ass way outside of the reach of your lightsaber blade....fat lot of good that did ya!

Comment

Really
                then why you dont have a cutoff with high beams i reamenber reading in some trusted websites (HIDPLANET) the shield is what makes the cutoff it doesnt matter if its a projector headlight or reflector like ours . if not explain why 9004 lamps dont even have a defined cutoff .
                the shield blocks the light from going where you dont want it to go (upcoming drivers eyes) .The reflector directs the light , the lens refracts it in the way the light should go (spread)
                if you see the H4 bulb the shield is upside down oposite of the cutoff , the same with HID .
                Even if you do all the math and somehow put the high beam Filament of an H4 in the place of the low beam filament you wont have the cutoff , Go an see

loose the H4 bulb in a housing , turn on the high beams and move the bulb backwards slow, you will never se a cutoff line .
                because with high beams you dont need it.
                BHP=bull**** horsepower
                WHP=woop-ass horsepower

Ok, so you wanna make your lightsabers. Yeehaw. Think about this though, when you make them...how are they going to be effective weapons? They are a melee weapon, requiring close range combat right? Well, say I've got a gun and I pop a cap in your ass way outside of the reach of your lightsaber blade....fat lot of good that did ya!

Comment

9004 is not the same as H4, 9003 is.

You CAN use H4 bulbs in a housing designed for 9003, because the bulb shape and plug are EXACTLY THE SAME.

Of course the high beam doesn't have a cutoff, it supposed to be a "high beam".

9003 housings don't have a defined cutoff because they are designed to US DOT standards which didn't approve the European H4 design when it came out.

Comment

i was talking about 9004 bulb because its the one the dot headlights use ,
                    What i mean is this
                    if you look at the beam pattern of the US dot headlights there is no difference in the high beam and low beam execpt for that (the height )

But in Espec headlights (the ones y have in my car ) the low beam has a cutoff but high doesnt the reason is simple "the glare shield" , even in cars with two bulb headlights the low beam has a shield , the high does not . Its simple optics you prevent the light from going where you dont want.
                    BHP=bull**** horsepower
                    WHP=woop-ass horsepower

Comment

9003 and 9004 are both DOT bulbs... the 9003 is the direct comparison to the H4 because they are the same mount, plug, shape, and overall function (combined high/low beams). The reason the e-spec lights have a cutoff is that the European regulations are different and require a more distinct cutoff that the US regulations.

Comment

Yes european regulations are different and require a cutoff ,but how you achieve that ?

Ill post some pics to explain
                        I dont understand do you agree with me or not?
                        im not discussing wheater 9004 or whatever are this or that, im just telling H4 have cutoff .
                        BHP=bull**** horsepower
                        WHP=woop-ass horsepower

Comment

Today's Lesson

Pay attention to what TheMAN has to say or be afraid, be very afraid. Expose your ignorance to TheMAN and he will smite you until you desist. Rejoice that TheMAN sees fit to correct your errant thoughts.

Happy Motoring!
                          02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
                          MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
                          MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
                          Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
                          MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
                          Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
                          Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
                          Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
                          Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
                          Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
                          Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
                          Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
                          Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

Comment

What Ignorance?

Originally posted by TheMAN
                            I told you, the shield is just there to direct light to the intended reflectors... the little lines on the lense or the little bumps in the "cone" are responsible for producing a beam pattern.... HB2/9003 bulbs looks EXACTLY the same as H4s... yes, they also have a shield... there's still many HB2 headlights around with NO cut off (early 90s ****), and ones with very weak cut off.... you put in an H4, and the same **** still happens
                            Ho is he anyway a Hella Engineer ? just because you say its not necesarily right.

In think a "shield" in that, a shield that blocks the light ,if not it would be a focal reflector (like the ones in radio telescopes).
                            the little lines on the cone or "reflector" are indeed responsible fron producing the pattern , but we are not talking about a pattern we are talking about the "cutoff" .
                            Then again the question is the same , why is a cutoff in low beams in a H4 lamp?
                            Yes the focal distace is different but the shield is a big factor in it .
                            The pattern is produced by all the headlight components yes .if you change one the pattern changes

THE HEADLIGHT IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE BEAM PATTERN, IF IT WAS JUST THE BULB, THEN WE WOULDN'T NEED TO UPGRADE WHOLE HEADLIGHTS
                            also there is no need of this kind of response .

if you still have trouble understanding this, then take your bulb out while it's still hooked up, turn on your lights... and tell me if you see a "cut off" then!
                            Have you actually done this , if you do tell me how does the bulb iluminates
                            of course there is no cutoff like the one you spect but light is blocked to one side
                            i have done it .

if you stilll don't "believe" that, then go away and learn physics because what you wrote and what you HEARD from people are rubbish
                            I know lots of physics and i dont need to read about it.
                            I dont suppose things , if i tell i know .

Ill prove it i just installed a pair of fogs and they make lots of glare and have no cutoff ill make a custom shield for them , again it might not work but maybe it might.
                            but if im wrong
                            BHP=bull**** horsepower
                            WHP=woop-ass horsepower

Comment

If its directing light why do you keep calling it a shield ?
                              BTW i bought my protege in Calif.

And as i stated everything has to do why the pattern if you change anything the pattern will change .

Im not talking about a HB2 anyways.im talking about H4 E-spec.

* the filament design is what requires that shield ,explain why? real reasons

*go ahead and install H4 bulbs in *early* DOT HB2 (non-visual optically aimed) housings... there is NO cut off

have you done it yet or do you suppose that will happen.
                              BHP=bull**** horsepower
                              WHP=woop-ass horsepower

Comment

Working...
                              X