has anyone actually done their own tint job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

has anyone actually done their own tint job

i got a question has any one done their own tint job and how hard is it really to do the back window just wondering because i heard it was a pain if anyone could help that would heklp a bunch thanks
    03 SILVER DX: 30% IN FRONT AND 20% TINT IN BACK, 600W SONY XPLOD AMP, 2 10'' SUBS, 3 3/8'' TACH W/SHIFT LIGHT
    check it out at
    members.cardomain.com/phoenixzero

I started to do my own tint. Its illegal here to have and it costs a lot to get it done. It was something like $250+ dollars for tint and I didnt want to have to rip it off if I got pulled over. I tinted 1 back window. It was time consuming but it came out ok. It looked kinda bad on the triangular back window because it was hard to cut it to match the window exactly. I never tried the rear window because I decided tinting was taking up too much time and it would all go to waste if I had to remove it.
    02 Protege ES

Comment

2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

To me it seems worth it to pay someone who will do it correctly. I paid $175 for everything and it only took the guys one hour.

Comment

If you have to ask "how hard is it", you don't have the skills to do it.

This really is a job best left to the pros. If you screw it up, it's a mess - one that might not show itself for months or a year later, when things started to bubble and peel. And it's not easy to remove tint on the rear window due to the defrost lines.

Suck it up and pay to have it done. You'll be happier.

~HH

Comment

I had an '88 Chevy Celebrity. My brother and I tinted the back side windows on that. It worked out quite well. No bubbles at all. I attempted to do the backglass, but it didn't work out very well. I'll probably try to do the back side windows of my Pro, but for the backglass, I'll pay to have that done.
            2003 Protege LX 5-speed

Comment

Originally posted by hihoslva
              If you have to ask "how hard is it", you don't have the skills to do it.

This really is a job best left to the pros. If you screw it up, it's a mess - one that might not show itself for months or a year later, when things started to bubble and peel. And it's not easy to remove tint on the rear window due to the defrost lines.

Suck it up and pay to have it done. You'll be happier.

~HH
              I agree, as much as I tinker with my car, I will leave the tint job up to the pros. I don't want to **** it all up. If you have rear defrost, then you REALLY have to be careful. I had three cars tinted (my Pro isn't done yet), and personally IMO think it's best to do it in the warmer months of the year so that it will adhere better and faster than in the winter time. This is just from my experience.
              2001 ES (Featured at SoundDomain)

Pioneer/SoundStream/JBL/Coustic/Elemental Designs/Focal/
              KnuKonceptz/Lightning Audio/SoundQuest/Tiff/
              Gel America/Dynamo Deep Cycle Battery/
              Groundkit

Comment

Originally posted by MisterT
                ....... it's best to do it in the warmer months of the year so that it will adhere better and faster than in the winter time. This is just from my experience.
                Very true - the heat helps the tint adhere and dry. If not in the summer, at least on a reasonably warm, sunny day - so leaving the car in the sun can allow the heat to build up inside. The warmer the install day, the better chance your tint will last for a good long time.

Oh yeah, and if your local tint shop wants to tint your car parked OUTSIDE, drive away immediately. Tint is to be done inside ONLY - one little breeze can and will ruin the job in progress.

~HH

Comment

Working...
                X