Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stripping paint

ok i have a few question,

has anyone stripped the paint off of their car? did you just sand it off or was there a chemical stripper involved. Would anyone recomemend a chemical stripping agent?

Also has anyone stripped the paint off of thier mirror? If yes any issues?

i am going to strip my car and repaint it over the winter.

I am keeping the mazda M6 paint and add a "gold flake" to make the car more shinny and look like it is always wet. 2 coats of clear.
    When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
    Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
    Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
    So his engine he goosed
    With much too much boost,
    And drove a rod through his block.

My friend stripped the paint off of and old beater he had years ago. The sanding didn't work too well for him so he used some type of chemical stuff. I don't remember what it was called but it was think and ate that **** off like nobodies business. Going the chemical route sounds faster but would probably make a bigger mess. Why are you sticking with the OEM color? Just want to stay factory? I've been wanting to repaint my car in (I don't even know if this color exists but it sounds cool) silver metallic blue, kinda silvery blue. Good luck dude!
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

I heard aircraft paint remover will go through anything
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

ok cool thanks guys. i think i am going the chemical route just out of lazyness. i am sticking with the mazda beige, becuae i kinda like the colour. and with a gold flake in it i think it would be mint. to each his own. and beside the colour would be just enough off so that a mazda freak would notice, but not a cop.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

How would you go a bout dealing with the chemical agent?

It sounds like it'd eat through your skull if you weren't careful
          93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
          02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
          05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

I would go with wet sanding her down. less mess and u dont have to worry about it eatting your hands or burning your eyes out ...Jon

Comment

I wouldn't use paint stripper it isn't neccessary. Just sand it down. If the paint that is on the car now is in pretty good shape just sand it down with some 240. You don't have to go past the clearcoat if the paint is still decent. Just sand until it isn't shiney anymore, the new paint will stick perfectly fine. Very unneccesary to strip down the paint unless the old paint is bubbleing up or anything like that. Even if the paint is oxidized just sand it untill the paint is still sticking, instead of flakeing off.

Also the stripper will eat up anything plastic, rubber, etc.. (anything not metal).

I had someone bring in a civic for a paint job. The previous paint job that was put on it started to bubble up from the "Aircraft" stripper. The hood, back bumper, and fenders have bubbles under the paint now. He had Z3 fenders on it and the plastic is all ate up, as well as most of the moldings, and both door handles.

Call a few body shops and see if they use paint stripper.

Comment

Originally posted by Tweeaks

Also the stripper will eat up anything plastic, rubber, etc.. (anything not metal).
                depends on the stripper. I couldn't find a black bumper for my 323 at any j-yards a while back so i said screw it and bought a gold metal flake one the same color as your pros.

I went to the depot and got some all purpose paint remover and applied it. It took off the paint after about 3 hours of waiting. I can get a pic of the can if you want to see what I used.

The plastic didn't bubble or anything. If you saw it, you would think it was just a dull black bumper. Ready for painting.

Laziness is not just a pastime its a way of life. The smartest person is not always the highest IQ, but usually the one that can get the most amount of work done with the least amount of effort.
                The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

but yeah you do have to be careful. If it gets on paint you want to keep for some reason it will dull it and strip it eventually if left on there.

Comment

sand it off with an orbital sander, i used it on my trunk when i redid it on my old pro, came out very nice
                    No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

Yeah, i figured grinding the paint off so its nice and rough would be good enough for the primer to stick properly.

Any suggestions for primering the car? what kind of steps are involved for the primering process?
                      93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                      02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                      05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

post replay. well i would normally just sand a repaint, but some panels of my car hae _4_ yes four layers of paint. before i got my car it had been in a few accidents. which i was not told of. (grounds for a lawsuit, but i'm not that asshole'ish). So i want to strip the who car down so that i have 1 base level and so i can assess the damage to some of the pannels.

That is why i'm not just sanding. i'll goo hunt around canadain tire for a decent paint remover.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

any luck finding a good solvent?

Comment

i think i have found one a canadian tire. i'll give it a shot in january. i have to buy x-mas gifts now.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Working...
                            X