Amp Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp Question

Alright, so im looking into getting a 4 channel amp for my car. Now the 3 way full range speakers i have right now are 40 or so watts rms, there pretty low powered. Now i have a good deal on a amplifier, but it pumps out 110 watts rms x 4. I was wondering if i can buy this 110 watt rms 4 channel amp to power my 40 watt rms speakers, im wondering if i can just turn the gain down so it pumps out low wattage so i dont blow my speakers, but at the same time have room for improvement if i ever got more power intensive ones?
    Joe H
    2000 Chevy Impala
    3400 3.4 Liter V6
    Fun Times

Fenderwell Intake w/ K&N Cone,
    U-Bend Delete, Resonator Delete,
    Flowmaster 40, Hi-Flow Cat, Optima Redtop

You most certainly can. While 40 watts is just an RMS, those speakers can handle a little more power than that.. all you have to do is cross them over at the amp higher. I'd say 140hz and above and you could possibly tweak the amp gain up to half way? You really have to play that sort of thing by ear.
    Kevin

Comment

like kevin said, you can send then more than their rms power as long as the x-over point is higher. figure the manufacturers spec for rms power is at the lowest freq the speakers will play. with full range, that's usually between 40 and 60 hz. set the high pass at above 80-100 hz and you can send them much more power. i've sent 10 times the rms power to speakers without any problems.

Comment

Working...
      X