weekend junkyard trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

weekend junkyard trip

completely unexpectedly, i ended up going to a junkyard on saturday... and i found myself quite ill-prepared...

i figured while there, i might check out the piles of mazdas, to see if i could find anything salvagable...

two cheap little things i've wanted since i got the car that aren't essential, but bug the hell out of me for not having:
    -ashtray
    -driver side puddle light cover

i got the ashtray easy, but i was surprised to find EVERY protege i looked in didn't even have puddle lights...
    what's up with that?
    and stupid me, i totally forgot to look if any of them had 90-91 tallights (i like the old ones more than the new style)

i saw a really good condition '93 black lx on top of a little 323, the hood was open and the engine bay was pristine, everything seemingly intact... it made me sad to see, because it was probably something stupid that got it scrapped.

i moved on to mx3s after i finished looking through the pros... there were three... one was pretty much completely ripped apart, and the other two had the non-recaro style seats...

was it the MX3's black carpet that fit in a protege?
    none of the carpets looked like they were really all that salvageable, but for future reference?
    i want black carpet, that'd kick ass

i want to be better prepared next time i go, especially since it'll be on my time (i get my license back tomorrow, finally) and not somebody else's...
    anything else i should keep my eye out for?

i had a lot of fun rummagine through dead cars, i think this could be a new hobby of sorts... there's like, 5 junkyards all in this one little area... i plan to check them all out soon before winter hits...
    justin
    Protege - 1993 - White - LX - AT - 170k miles
    installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

yes the Mx3 seats and carpet fit. I want the same carpet too, just havent seen a good MX-3 interior lately
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

The puddle lights were an option for the lx . i dont even think the dx Proteges have a cupholder...Jon

Comment

i guess i'm pretty spoiled with my lx...
        my power windows go a bit slow, but oh well, they all function...
        about the only thing it doesn't have is a fifth gear...

all 3 mx3s had black carpets... i was eyeing them but one was all ripped up and the other two were water damaged\dirty...
        i could probably clean them up pretty well, but i didn't have enough time to really assess them...

how do i effectively get the carpet out, if i find a good one?
        justin
        Protege - 1993 - White - LX - AT - 170k miles
        installed--- Glass Sunroof, ZX2 S\R struts, Eibachs, custom intake, mp3 headunit, Enkei RS6 16" wheels

Comment

Originally posted by itzkcatz
          The puddle lights were an option for the lx . i dont even think the dx Proteges have a cupholder...Jon
          DX Proteges with the convinence package (tachometer, trunk light, reading lights, floor mats, some other nonsense) have cupholders.
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

The puddle lights are standard equipment on all 92+ LX's.

As for the black carpet, it isn't standard in all MX3's but it is way more common than the tan carpet.

To remove it, you'll have ot remove the seats (8x14mm) and then remove the center console (6 philips) and depending on which year you get it from you'll have to remove the lower seatbelts or anchor and all the plastic bits that hold it in.

I didn'th ave any problem pulling or installing mine. I ended up finding like $4 inside of the MX3 under its seats and carpet when I removed it. They charged me $10 for the carpet, so i got a heavy discout with that alone. When installing, i found like $2 in my white protege
            93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
            02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
            05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

oh yeah, another tidbit on the carpet.....i dunno if you'd want to do this or not. I sprayed some rubber insulator stuff all over the floor to reduce interior road and exhaust noise, seemed to help a bit.

I also added some padding under the drivers carpet. When I drive back from college on the weekends, i usually drive barefoot and the hard ass floor kinda sucked and would put my foot to sleep. I added a thick layer of house insulation and it kicks ass now, you can't even tell by looking at it, but its cushy
              93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
              02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
              05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

mmm cushy -that wouldnt work very well with my tan interior

Comment

sweet find man ,
                  I need to go on the hunt at hunts point here in the Bronx.
                  I want to get my hands on some
                  mx3 power window rails..

My friend is giving me some civic seats. I will try and see if I can get them to fit or just sell them ..
                  Bruce
                  photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Working...
                  X