I need advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need advice

Which is better and why,slotted ,cross drilled,slotted and cross drilled,or diamond slotted rotors?I found all 4 types on a websites for my pro.I need new rotors so I figured I'd spend the extra money to upgrade.Will the pads wear unevenly since the rotors are not smooth?I've never upgraded rotors so any info would be appreciated.
    Last edited by dodson3; 10-27-2003, 01:23 PM.

slotted is better...drilled will crack sooner....although, i think for LOOKS, drilled looks better.

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
    1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
    Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Other than looks and the oooh, ahhh factor, there really is no reason to upgrade your rotors. The process was designed YEARS ago to compensate for problems that modern brake pads don't experience. And the results were iffy way back then. Performance wise, you won't see any benefit driving on the street. Actually, the only benefit you'll see for sure is a lighter rotor..and we're just talking a few grams. And if you want the proof, check what all the motorsports guys are running. I can't think of the last Rally car I saw with cross drilled rotors.

If you're looking for performance increases. A better pad and stainless steel braided lines will produce nice results.

If you are needing new rotors, solid Brembo replacements are inexpensive. Then look into getting them cryoforged(still reasonably priced). This process will double the life of your rotor.

Where you want to splurge is on pads.
      I am a huge fan of Porterfield pads, specifically the r4-s model. They stop better(both in bite and modulation), produce less dust and last three times longer then regular pads. Which is a good thing, because they're three times the price. Instead of using asbestos, organic material or even metallic compounds, they use Kevlar.

Unless all you just want something to be able to point and brag about...then get a some cross drilled. Just make sure the holes are chamfered...this will reduce(not stop) the possibilitied os stress cracks. Slotted won't crack but thay're less flashy. Both is just overkill.

Comment

Amen to that! Brakes don't make you go fast! Bouah ha ha ha ha!

95 LX goin turbo!!

Bouah ha ha ha ha!

Comment

seriously Dodson... go with the perfomance value over the looks. One or two good panick stops and you'll be glad you did.
          95 LX goin turbo!!

Bouah ha ha ha ha!

Comment

I have cross drilled and slotted rotors on the front of my car and I have had them on for a year . I have had no problems with them and to be honest if you want to spend a little bit extra and get the slotted rotors go ahead.
            There really is no harm in doing so and they are not that expensive.

If you check in the Tech section, Jesse posted an article on pad choices, certain pads work different at different temperaturs. So lookat that article and then think about what you may want to do .

Funny thing the article tell you that the pads that squeel and shed moderate dust at low speeeds (city driving) are the ones that will help you stop quicker in city driving situations.

I believe in brakes, as my number one set up, number 2 is my ability to gear the car down to a stop.
            I drive a bit harder than usuall at times so the c/d&/s has helped me ...
            photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

Also, ive notcied that xdrilled and slotted arent as smooth to stop with...they stop just as QUICK as regular rotors, but feel shaky (must be cause the surface isnt smooth)

CLICK HERE FOR PICS
              1.8L 97 LX (CDN)
              Erebuni kit, JDM heads/corners/tails/hood scoop, 17" BSA 259 w/ Khumo Ecstas, KYB GR2 struts, Apex springs, Ractive X-drilled/slotted rotors, KVR C/F pads, EssentialSpeed CAI, Essentialspeed custom cat-back (y-piped with dual Vibrant mufflers), Clutch Masters clutch, touring wing, Vibrant F/R strut bar, AWR 21.5mm rear sway bar, indiglo gauges, Sparco wheel/shift knob, custom interior, TomMotorsports 'BRIDE' seats, Innovatek DVD-0181 DVD/CD/MP3/etc player, Innovatek IN-720 7" indash LCD, 'MZDASPD' plates

Comment

Originally posted by K Dawg ONE
                Also, ive notcied that xdrilled and slotted arent as smooth to stop with...they stop just as QUICK as regular rotors, but feel shaky (must be cause the surface isnt smooth)
                I never experienced any vibrations....

My only complaint is that the DX/LX rotors are to small
                photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

when my brakes were new.. (cross drilled kvr rotors and kvr carbon kevlar pads) with properly adjusted rears...

they worked great for me, the only thing i would want is stainless steel lines

now the brakes are shot, the back needs new shoes, the pads are worn badly, and i have high spots on my rotors...

so i cant say much about that

but just for everyones info the rotor's and pads have 40 000 km's on them and still have another 10 000km's on the pads, and more on the rotor (the rotor just needs turning)

Comment

I've got the Cross Drliled/Slotted Rotors made by brembo and they are awesome I feel no vibrations what so ever and when I got the rotors, i got semi-metallic brake pads with it. Car stops real good They saved my ass quite a few times..
                    Don't have a car anymore... cry with me

Comment

Working...
                    X