X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electric/Speedometer Problem; Help Plz

Well here goes:

I've got a '94 Protege DX SOHC...

For the past couple of weeks I have noticed two things, I don't know if they are related or are involved but here goes: When accelerating up to about 40 mph the speedometer would seem kinda loose, it seemed liked it almost 'bounced' up but when it was around 40 it seemed stable...

also when leaving the car, both from the driver's side and passenger's side, me and my g/f noticed getting shocked (i'd say at least 75% of the time) when touching the car door to close it after getting out...

now those are possible symptoms..however the real problem is this: after going on a trip this weekend where i had to drive about 10 miles 'off-road' on an unpaved road (it was still in good shape) i got home and just as i pulled in to the parking space i noticed that the 'Hold' light was flashing on the dash..if i pressed the hold button in, it did nothing..I turned the car off and waited a second then turned it back on and it seemed fine..it was off and if i pushed the button in it went on, etc.

so this morning im driving to work and the first thing i notice is that the hold light is flashing again which kinda pissed me off..it wasnt until i was halfway to work that i also realized that neither my odometer or speedometer were working..the odo wouldnt move at all and the speedometer just stayed at 0mph..

the tachometer works fine and it appears so do the heat and gas gauges..

i'm guessing it's some sort of computer/electrical problem or hoping that it may just be some bad capcitor, seing as how i know next to nothing about car electronics, can someone help me out here? Thanks a lot..

~jeff~

after doing some searching/reading i think i found out that the flashing 'Hold' light means there is a transaxle electrical problem...i've also noticed the car not only not responds to me pushing the 'Hold' button but If I leave it in L or S gear, it doesn't make a difference, it'll still stay in automatic and shift on it's own..

Is there anything at all I can do or look for before bringing this in to a mechanic?

~jeff~

Comment

Did you change your tires before noticing this "shocking" problem?

Also, the speedometer on our car is mechanical, not electrical. No speedo + flashing hold light means no speedo cable. The flashing hold light can mean other problems with the transmission, but the first concern is making sure the speedo cable is connected, then seeing if that clears the error. The transmission computer uses a speed sensor to base the shift points on (along with load), and it might be confused by this.
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

I had one tire replaced and the others rotated about 3-4 weeks ago, that may have been about the time when the speedometer started it's bouncing ride up...

the only thing i did prior to when this problem started yesterday was take the car up the side of a mountain on an unpaved road..not rocky or too bad or anything..just unpaved...the whole ride home (1.5 hrs) it was fine..no flashing hold light and the speedometer worked fine, it wasn't until i was pulling into my parking space did i notice the problem for the first time..

as for checking the speedometer cable..where should I check that? under the hood at the transmission or under the steering column? I may be clueless but I can follow directions and/or a picture so any more help would be very much appreciated. Thanks again..

~jeff~

Comment

Well, the only time I did it myself was when I disconnected the speedo cable from the back of the instrument cluster, you'd have to reach from the passenger's footwell up there, it's a squeeze. Some of the models have 2 piece cables, so it may be disconnected in the middle, and of course, right from the transmission itself. Sorry, I don't have any diagrams with me. And, I hate to ask, but how do you drive around without looking at your speedometer?
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

it just happened yesterday morning so i only went to work and back..and i pretty much just paced myself with the other cars...it sucks which is why i need to get it fixed..i think i might be able to locate the cable from the transmission but what exactly am i looking for under the steering column?

~jeff~

Comment

what u have to look for is an opening from the firewall which the cable comes in from (follow it) and it goes all the way to the instrument cluster. the cable has a white plastic "clip"at the end that prevents the cable from getting unhooked off the speedometer. hope that helps.
              Past: 1994 White Protege DX ~DEAD~

Current: 05' Onyx Black Mazda 6 'S' ~Bone Stock~

Originally posted by TheMAN
              you MUST keep in mind the 2nd gen is the bastard child of the proteges...

Comment

well i took my car into a shop today and had them check it out..the took off the speedo cable and its broken on the housing end..they want $150 in parts and labor just to replace it...

a new speedo cable is $80 they claim which is BS...aside from grabbing one from a junkyard, anyone know where i can get one and maybe lookin into doing this myself?

~jeff~

Comment

Working...
                X