Another victory for the first gen protege

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another victory for the first gen protege

Today I was just out running errands around town and buying some Christmas presents, I was on the way to pick up my girlfriend when this dood pulls up next to me at the stop light with his radio blasting some old ass Metallica or something else heavy metal. He says "Can that little rice burner run?" I said "It sure can" I told him we would roll on at 20mph, keep in mind this is in downtown New Braunfels. I though I would get killed.

His car 1997 Ford Mustang GT convertible, it was a standard. 4.6L V8

My car 1994 Mazda Protege LX 5speed. 1.8L DOHC 16valve Inline 4

On paper he should have won easy. But as soon as we both hit 20mph we looked over at each other and I just revved it to 4500rpm and dropped the clutch a perfect launch at 20mph, no tire slip at all just a hard pull and a quick upshift to second, at this point I was about a bumper ahead of him I roar through second and I start pulling away, I shift into 3rd and I just start pulling away about a car length ahead of him I sut it down at about 90mph due to the approaching stoplight and proximity of police cars downtown. When he pulls up next to me at the next light he isnt smiling anymore, he has more a look of pure astonishment. He turns right and I follow him down a residential street, he stops at a stop sign and I pull up next to him. He still has his jaw on the floor. He says so what are you running underthere? In a kinda weak and embarressed voice. Then smiling I say " You know just Mazda stuff" He says well have you done anything to it? I tell him "Yeah alittle" He tells me to follow him over to Advance Auto parts b/c he wants to check out a the car. He would believe me when I told him that I was still running NA. He even wanted to check the trunk for NOS. Then after he comes back around to the front just smiling he says so what all have you done? And I tell him.

Pace setter headers, Catco High Flow cat, 2.25" Pacesetter cat back exhaust, Exedy Clutch, RPM'z distributor, NGK plug wires, Denso Iridium spark plugs, MSD Blaster SS coil pack and a new KN stock filter. This car now has a the whole exhaust system revamped in a custom format. It really has some great growl down low and really barks on the rev in the 3500-5000rpm range. I has some awesome mid-range pulling power that peaks somewhere around 6200rpm. This car has been quite a surprise for alot of people around town. It has been out in a while. Dealt with timing problems for about a month. All in all this was a great win for me being able to beat a Mustang GT V8 with a lil Protege LX. I think I may have convinced one more guy in town to go look for a Mazda if he wants a run for his money.
    Last edited by tunerguy; 12-19-2005, 11:56 PM. Reason: SNAFU

RPM'z distributer??? is that something special
    ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
    he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

good kill

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
        RPM'z distributer??? is that something special
        Kinda sorta, its much more stable in the distribution of elcetrical currents at higher RPMs. Thus the company name. Its a lil bigger than the others but it worx good.

Comment

Originally posted by tunerguy
          Kinda sorta, its much more stable in the distribution of elcetrical currents at higher RPMs. Thus the company name. Its a lil bigger than the others but it worx good.

Pics/Info?

Nice kill too.....96-98 GT's are an embarassment.
          '99 Miata - Begi manifold, T3, 2.5'' exhaust, ebay fmic, 460cc injectors, megasquirt, LC1, and toyota coil on plug conversion..

Comment

nice...Ive killed my fair share of the 4.6L GT stang's as well....it's always a joy to put them in their place. LOL...
            Eat ****.

Comment

20mph in 1st gear and you rev up to dump the clutch?
              Not the sports page Not a magazine

Comment

Originally posted by mikeflys1
                Pics/Info?

Nice kill too.....96-98 GT's are an embarassment.

Yeah I never realized they were that slow. Huh kinda sucks for them. They're huge they eat gas, and to top it off they get spanked by a car with have the displacement and power. Good going Ford Motor Co. I'll try to take some pics of my car as soon as possible, need to buy batteries for the digital camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Hadoken
                  20mph in 1st gear and you rev up to dump the clutch?

Yessir, it sounds kinda funny but I'll explain. I kinda coasted at 20mph while I was looking at him, " clutch was disengaged " and with the new tires I could afford a decent launch like this even while moving b/c they just dont slip. Granted if I was to drop the clutch at 5000rpm from a standstill you can roast the **** out of any tires. But yeah, the rev up helps the car push off a lil better. Next time you are somewhere out of sight try this, it really helps. I'mnot sure about the actual statistical gain but it is noticeable when you think about how long it takes to go 20mph-33mph. Every lil bit helps. Especially when you have only 1.8L!! Good Question though.

Comment

hmm....when im at 20mph and im in first gear in at like 2-something rpm's I think.....I spose if thats the case Id dump the clutch to
                    Eat ****.

Comment

Nice kill dude! Always good to hear another mazda win and even more so a protege win

Comment

i find it funny to see everything thinking a Pro Lx could beat a mustang gt , but when i said that i had kept even with one in my bp323 people where flaming me... lol, but as i said later i dont think it was a gt that i kept up with :D lol

Comment

Nice kill, post some pics if you have the chance or the ability to.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad
                            i find it funny to see everything thinking a Pro Lx could beat a mustang gt , but when i said that i had kept even with one in my bp323 people where flaming me... lol, but as i said later i dont think it was a gt that i kept up with :D lol
                            I think I read your post and yeah I am sure people gave you **** about it. If so its prolly b/c they're jealous that their car ain't that fast. But yeah, it was a white 97 GT rag top.

Comment

Well guys here are some of the pics I have currently on the hard drive. I'll take some more soon.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X