Shifting points.....share your experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifting points.....share your experiences

whenever i get my car looking decent after the deer incident .. i am gonna plan a trip to the track. I just wanted to hear the suggested shift points that you all shift at. My car is basiclly stock with just 2.25 exhaust-k&n filter so far... ive been practicing and got the launch pretty much down:
    3500 launch-2nd at 5k-3rd at 5k-4th 6k...form 1-3rd gears i get a nice push and i can feel the BP pull, but towards 4th and into 5th it feels weak....im thinkin that dont have enough mods yet to be pushin the car to pull hard in 4th.....

what yall think?

2500rpm if you want to go slow
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

i shift it at 6900 launch at 2500
      93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
      02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
      05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

redline, every gear

it's mathmatically fastest.
        "Never run out of real estate, traction & ideas at the same time"
        -93 MR2, 129 ES
        ClubProtege.com Tech Articles

Originally posted by WTF
        Remember low compression makes more space for AIR, HEEELLOOOO!

Comment

Are you talking daily driving, or at the race track?

For the first, I usually shift at 3k and am into 5th cruising (35+). I usually use more than that getting onto a freeway, or when needed, but don't see a good reason for revving the engine much higher for just cruising around (unless you like visiting the gas station more often).

For racing, just short of the limiter in 1st, 6500-6600 in second, and 6300 in 3rd...unless you are about to hit the lights (1/4 mile) or brake for a corner (road course), in which case you stay in 3rd (you lose 1/2 sec shifting). And for autocrossing, stay in 2nd into the limiter, unless you will be there for more than a second.
          David Avard
          '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
          '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
          '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

yea everyday drive
            (ie gas saving) i shift at anywheres between 2500-3500RPM

but when giving it my all its redline everygear, unfortanitly my car has a rev limiter unlike my 90, i could shift at 7200RPM but this one has the rev limiter at something like 6400rpm, right past the red, it sucks but i dont race often so meh
            No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

I find for cruising around, i shift 1>2 at 3500rpm and shift 2>3>4>5 at 3000rpm.

As for racing, exactly what David said

Comment

Come out of the hole at 3,500 4,000 let it go to 7,200 and then ,7000 the rest of the gears.

Comment

i redline the gears, but it seems that its not pulling harder than when i shift at 5-6k...maybe im used to my neon...

Comment

With the way the gears are set up, you should shift early in the higher gears (assuming a stock engine with no mods) for all out acceleration. But for drag racing, the gain in acceleration from shifting into 4th right near the end is more than offset by the 1/2 sec. you aren't accelerating. But, you might get a higher trap speed (I experimented), but only by (at most) 1mph or so.

I should mention that the reasoning behind the above statements is that your maximum acceleration is where you have the greatest torque. So, if you plot torque in gears vs mph, you find that even at redline in 1st, you are making more torque (and therefore greater acceleration) than you are anywhere in 2nd. Similarly, the only place where you make less torque in 2nd than in 3rd is just short of redline.

But the gaps between 3rd, 4th, and 5th are much smaller. Since the torque falls off quickly past the power peak (which is about 6000 rpm at the wheels for a unmodified BP-DOHC), there is little to be gained by going past that point, with the important caveat that the realities of the track affect gear choice (see my first post).

FYI, in 3rd, the crossover point is at about 6300rpm. In 4th, it's about 6200rpm.

All of that of course assumes a stock, or nearly stock engine. While headers and cat-back add HP, most of those (when done right) add more torque in the mid-range than HP at the top, so this holds true. The only popular mod that only affects the power peak is the RX-7 VAF (which only really affects the power curve over 6000rpm).
                    Last edited by Davard; 10-28-2003, 03:17 PM.
                    David Avard
                    '90 Protege LX (STS-prepped)
                    '89 Civic Si (STS-prepped)
                    '02 Altima SE (14.164 @ 97.7mph stock)

Comment

well, with the 1.5, I used to shift at like 2500 through 1st,2nd,3rd for cruiseing.
                      To be ansy, I would take it to 6500 every gear.

With the 1.8 I try to shift at like 2500 to 3000, better torque shifting at 3000.
                      But when haveing fun, I take it straight to 7000.. I have yet to hear a rev limiter kick in, I don't even know if the ecu has one.
                      Bruce
                      photo album|photo album 2 (pbase)

dbest1a AT yahoo DOT com

Comment

i keep putting the RX7 VAF off...im waaay past due for a trip to the junkyard..ive been so busy and broke BTW.....thanx for the info very helpful...

Comment

I launch at 6000 rpm... Cute eigh. i also have a 8lb flywheel. sot hat tends to make a big diffrence.

Lately in first gear i shift after the power peak.. usuall 6800. I would take it up into 7's but my trannys syncro for 2nd is shot.

Other than that what jesse said redline.. gear ratios play a big part in drag racing. the rx-7 vaf helps a lot with shifting there too then again i have a lot more done to my car too =]
                          -torp.
                          94 Mx-3 1.8l Inline 4
                          81 Celica Gt..

Comment

Working...
                          X