KIA BP into a 1g LX?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KIA BP into a 1g LX?

I found a Kia Sephia at the u-pull-it with a mere 7200 miles on it's BP... I can get the motor & tranny for a mere $300+ tax... the cons are that the car is wrecked and when it was wrecked a small chunk of the valve cover was broken off and the dizzy cap was cracked. How much work is involved in swapping this motor would one assume? I was thinking of running it with MegaSquirt but would I be able to do the swap using the Kia electronics (harness & ecu)? If this doesn't seem plausible then there is a '94 LX 5-speed at the same yard with only 100k miles on the clock and it would be nice to swap out the semi-tired 170+k motor I have with a fresher '94 motor that would be a simple remove/replace job. I have access to a garage with lifts and engine hoists etc so if there aren't too many headaches that i'm unaware of i'd love to do the Kia BP swap and have an uber-low mileage motor
    '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
    '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
    '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
    '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
    '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
    '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

welcome back stranger.

there was a member who ran GTX turbo **** on his Kia BP a while back, I am sure he could better answer your questions. I think it was Spenone.
    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

What year is it? If it's an OBD-II engine it would take some serious rewiring.

Comment

You can run the Kia BP motor (block and head) and use an OBD I harness and ECU. Or just use the Megasquirt from the beginning

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
          What year is it? If it's an OBD-II engine it would take some serious rewiring.
          Stock wiring would control the motor just fine. The thermostat housing would need to be changed, along with the 3 coolant temperature sensors / switches. The fuel rail wiring probably is different, you could just swap those over. The Kia distributor will probably be different, and it's cracked anyway. The throttle position sensor is probably different.

Just swap those over from your existing motor...
          2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Swapping stuff over wouldn't be an issue being that I have a running BP in my car... not like i'd be starting off with a SOHC or something
            '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
            '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
            '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
            '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
            '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
            '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Working...
            X