crazy idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

crazy idea

well, since i like being different, i'm thinking about making my own front bumper basically i'll make a shell out of fiberglass that i will attatch to the top half of my stock bumper. it's going to be totally custom, using design aspect of the different bumpers i like. i wish i still had CAD on my computer so i could model it in 3D it's not going to be a project i start till i get off active duty for the army, but i'm going to start planning it now. and i figure since it's going to be a lot of custom work, why not go all out? i think i'm going to use these headlights:

the shape is a little off from what the stock one is, but it's the closest i've found. i wanted the HID's that come on BMW's with the angel eyes, but i don't think the shape would look good on a pro any other suggestion?

Sounds good. Those headlights look good to me. I love projectors, and it will be nice to see some on the pro.

Comment

You might want to experiment with using urethane.

A fiberglass bumper is probably going to be very fragile and prone to cracking.

First time you tap something, hit a curb, or one of those cement parking markers, kiss your hard work goodbye.

At the very least, be sure to make a good mold of the finished product, so that you can fab up a new one if you need it.

~HH

Comment

that's a heck of a project, blue. I have CAD somewhere, do you want it?
        My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
        JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
        AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

yea man lots of work, more power to you, when do you get out??
          .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
          225.94wtq
          torque monster!!!!
          dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
          http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
          http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Proto2k, i figure the projectors for the '99 are like $900, so i could spend much less than that on the audi lights and all the materials needed to fabricate a new bumper

hihoslva, yeah, that's my biggest concern but it's going to be really thick, and i might have my friend's dad get real carbon fiber from his work after i make a mold of a fiberglass one then i could make a much stronger one.

glyph, if you don't mind burning me a copy of it and bring it when all us south carolinians meet up, that would be great:p:

THEGOLDPRO, well, half our battallion is getting released from active duty november 15th. i'll be active till after march, possibly till next august. i don't mind that much, since my promotion orders for sergeant (E-5) should come in this week and they are working on getting us per diem, which is about $1200 a month just for food

Comment

will do, man that per diem is awesome for CHS. Be nice to get it everyday, but BAH will do especially as my wife gets it too.

Do you have access to people with the tools to mold bumpers and such?
              My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
              JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
              AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

Comment

Originally posted by glyph
                will do, man that per diem is awesome for CHS. Be nice to get it everyday, but BAH will do especially as my wife gets it too.

Do you have access to people with the tools to mold bumpers and such?

thanks a lot yeah, i love getting BAH, since i'm an activated reservist adds about $600 per month for E-4, and i believe it goes up when i get my orders for E-5:p:

i don't have access to people to mold the bumper, but i learned a lot about the process while i worked at boston whaler (boat manufacturer, for those that don't know). and all their parts are made through a cold press process which is cool as hell. almost all the parts come out perfectly gel coated and fiberglassed everytime. i won't be able to do anything like that, but i'll use certain aspects of it, if i do make a mold

Comment

you going to try for urethane?

of course, you could just use a lot of Bond-o

Comment

well good luck to you man, bah is allright, congrats on E-5 thats what im working on now,
                    .....HELLO MY NAME IS BEN...

186.08whp
                    225.94wtq
                    torque monster!!!!
                    dyno graph 8-10-and 12psi
                    http://www.msprotege.com/members/THE...no%20graph.jpg
                    http://videos.streetfire.net/player....0-C19CA06AF01E dyno vid

blahblahblahblahblahblah

Comment

Originally posted by glyph
                      you going to try for urethane?

of course, you could just use a lot of Bond-o

actually if i make a good mold, i'll make a carbon fiber one, since my friend's dad can hook me up with it he is a cheif engineer at a place that designs and manufactures parts and equipment for the military he's got a full roll of carbon fiber sitting in his garage, along with the resin for it:p: course it isn't like i'd be making it out of CF for show, it'd just be to have a strong bumper, seeings how i'd be painted anyways

THEGOLDPRO, how long you been in? i got out of training november 1st, 2 years ago, so i've been with my unit for under 2 years i've busted my ass off to get from E-1 to E-5 in 2 years and as soon as i'm waiverable i'm putting in for E-6:p:

Comment

While you are at it why dont you just velvet the entire outside of your car to match your dash
                        Sagaris

Comment

Originally posted by Motegi
                          While you are at it why dont you just velvet the entire outside of your car to match your dash

damn, i can feel the chill off that one hey, what did you do with your stock bumper?

Comment

its in my attic
                            Sagaris

Comment

nice project. I know someone who is doingh sometrhing similar except with different lights. Motegi whatws up with your car?
                              My OLD Car

Comment

Working...
                              X