Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

Will Japanese letters make my car go faster?

grow up, ask a question when you need to, dont waste our time
    No more protege, Mx-3 now...Only known BP powered Mx-3 in Nova Scotia

Comment

Attached Files
      2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

meh
        is there any advatage to rear disc brakes over drum?

Comment

Yes. Better cooling ability, although, you will need 14" wheels.

Comment

is it worth the trouble to change them over?

Comment

Do i need to change the brake booster too?

Comment

You will need to change the proporitioning valve , and some other stuff listed in the FAQ.

No, it is not worth it, unless you road race the car or autocross it or something. If you don't know the difference then you can live without them.

Comment

apparently the drums actually have better stopping power than the rear discs.
                  you mean the power brake booster??
                  I don't think so but you will need the master cylinder.
                  Ryan The middle child is always ignored
                  BP powered 97LX Touring Edition
                  Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                    apparently the drums actually have better stopping power than the rear discs.
                    I would like to know how exactly that conclusion was reached.

Comment

Originally posted by charles
                      I would like to know how exactly that conclusion was reached.
                      Ask edwin.
                      For the record, drums do have more braking surface than discs. Thats not to say they are better. Alot of BIG trucks still have drum brakes on all wheels still.
                      Vibrant strut tower brace, KVR front brake pads, Tungsram Megalicht H4 headlight bulbs, Phillips Halogen H3 foglight bulbs.... 91 GT rims w/ 195 60 14 Yokohomo Mirada GTX sport

Comment

Eh, pulling on the ebrake in my drum equipped protege seemed to stop harder, but I always thought that was a question of adjustment. It really isn't worth the hassle of swapping, though, unless you know you really need it. I did 30 minutes of hotlapping with rear drums, you'll be alright

Comment

Thanks

Comment

Yeah, just compare how small the surface area on the rear brake pads compared to the shoes. Its amazing. Not to mention that apparently the rear calipers on first gens seem to have been plagued with sticking problems. Probably the second gens too because they gotrid of the rear discs as an option in 98(?)

Comment

Originally posted by midnightblue97
                              Yeah, just compare how small the surface area on the rear brake pads compared to the shoes. Its amazing. Not to mention that apparently the rear calipers on first gens seem to have been plagued with sticking problems. Probably the second gens too because they gotrid of the rear discs as an option in 98(?)
                              I noticed, they are tiny, and don't use a lot of the rotor surface area!

Comment

Working...
                              X