PDA

View Full Version : best speakers

dafoo21
09-01-2003, 10:07 PM
my current setup for my car is mtx subs and amp, 2 rear blaupunkts and 2 front audiobahns. im thinkin about selling all of this and just getting 4 top of the line speakers, i dont need all the bass from the subs i have, i like having the bass inside the car instead having it from the trunk. what are like the top of the line speakers on the market? to specify further i want some really decent bass pumpin from them, i dont need alot, i just listen to a bunch of rock and punk rock. my friend has a decent amount of bass coming from his speakers but at times it isnt very clear when its loud. im not looking to cheat on the quality of the speakers so id like to hear everyones opinion on what i should be looking at, thanks guys.

walight01
09-01-2003, 10:28 PM
need a little more info, first, what year/model of protege do you have, also how much do you want to spend. also do you want to amp the speakers*highly recommended*

dafoo21
09-01-2003, 10:36 PM
i have a 200 protege... umm i really dont care what i spend, it cant be TOO much can it? ive already bought the whole system basically.... maybe ill just keep the current amp i got... its alright with the power if i remember correctly, it was pushing like 300-400 per channel, its an mtx thunderbird... price is not really an option, i dont care, as long as its not like over $600... $150 a speaker at the most...

dafoo21
09-01-2003, 10:36 PM
2000 protege... sorry... the infamous 1.6 liter ;)

walight01
09-01-2003, 10:39 PM
150 per set or 300 per set, b/c you really can't just go buy one speaker

dafoo21
09-01-2003, 10:43 PM
sorry sorry, $300 per set would be the obsolute most i want to spend on the pair. that would be $600 for 4. i havent seen pairs of speakers any more than like $120 in the stores but i dont really know, i just want to get like REALLY good speakers because i a huge music guy and only want the best now.

asylum24
09-01-2003, 10:45 PM
well if ya want the best speakers on the market... alpine's flagship type X's.... a pair of 6.5's will set ya back about $800 but you get a 6.5 woofer, a 5 1/4, midbass woofer and a tweeter alongw ith a crossover for all three... $800 is for like dealer price you can find them on the net for 400 or so....

dafoo21
09-01-2003, 10:48 PM
$400 and u say its top of the line ****?

asylum24
09-01-2003, 10:50 PM
for off the net....800 from a dealer and for resonablely top of the line... if you want top of the line go buy a set of rainbow components $1300 for a pair of 5 1/4 thats just a woofer and a tweeter...

dafoo21
09-01-2003, 10:55 PM
ok ok, im changin my request, lol. im looking for the best speakers i can get available for the most $600

dafoo21
09-01-2003, 10:56 PM
or too make it simple, what is the best brand i should be looking into?

Rider69
09-01-2003, 10:57 PM
Well to get that type of bass impact in the car you will probably need to get some 6x9s in the rear deck. Most other speakers will not produce that much bass output. Midbass, Yes. But low bass, no. 6x9s are about the largest speakers to keep a factory appearance, plus put some 6.5" components up front and you should be good to go. You could go for more "top-of-the-line" but will you notice that much of a greater sound for more money? Not until you spend about a grand on 1 set of speakers will you notice that much of an improvement. My suggestions below are more budget minded and might be geared a little more toward your musical tastes.

My suggestions to you area:
Front: CDT CL-61a $150/set (http://thezeb.com/caraudio/specials_speakers.html)
Rear: Infinity Kappa 692.5i $199/pr (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-5sYWOsvD9xt/ProdView.asp?a=0&s=0&cc=01&g=52300&id=features_and_specs&i=1086925I)
And you need an amp to drive all those speakers. To get decent bass without distorting the speakers, you need some decent power output, about 75x4.
I recommend:
U.S. acoustics USB-4085 $180 (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-5sYWOsvD9xt/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=120&I=235USB4085&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N)
or
Kicker KX600.4 $400 (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-5sYWOsvD9xt/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=120&I=206KX6004&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N)

Good Luck and let us know what you decide on.

Rider69
09-01-2003, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by dafoo21
or too make it simple, what is the best brand i should be looking into?

That really does not make it simple. There are many views on what the best brand is. Many people like JL Audio, Boston Acoustics, Alpine, Focal, Dynaudio, etc.

dafoo21
09-01-2003, 11:19 PM
i currently have 6X9's in the back and 5X7's in the front, i was under the impression i could only fit those sizes... i ask because u offered 6.5's for my rear speakers...

Rider69
09-01-2003, 11:25 PM
Actually I offered the 6x9s for your year speakers and 6.5"s for the front. An adapter plate can be made to fit the 6.5s in the front. This will provide you with a little better bass up fron then the 5x7s can do.

1st MP3 in NH
09-02-2003, 12:54 PM
First of all $300 WILL NEVER buy the top of the line :p

You want top of the line, you pay for it!

These are the BEST!
http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?ProductID=216&CategoryID=14

I have yet to hear there equal.

Pimpprotege69
09-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Me either dude , I have the pro 6.5's in my car. Ive heard the z6's and I WANT THEM! They send shivers down my spine. That dam crossover box is so large thoe.

dafoo21
09-02-2003, 02:22 PM
ive heard of infinitys and know they are a good brand but i never heard much about CDT, what u guys think of them?

Rider69
09-02-2003, 02:34 PM
From what I have read about them, they are excellent for the money. Especially with this deal. They say there are no others that sound this good for that price. If I didn't already have my Focals, I would be all over that deal.

1st MP3 in NH
09-02-2003, 02:36 PM
Is it me or does everyone and there brother Immediatly refer to infinity speakers when first upgradeing a cars sound.

News Flash: Infinity is not that great!

dafoo21
09-02-2003, 02:41 PM
then what would u suggest for my rear speakers?

1st MP3 in NH
09-02-2003, 02:44 PM
then what would u suggest for my rear speakers?

I suggest to go and listen to as many speakers as you possibly can and then decide.

dafoo21
09-02-2003, 02:45 PM
...true..

Rider69
09-02-2003, 02:50 PM
I agree that many state Infinity off the bat. For the price, they sound good. Not up to the specs of many other more expensive brands, but in their range, I consider them a very good replacement speaker.

blue LEDz
09-02-2003, 03:01 PM
i posted in the other thread first, so here's my post, and the other one will be deleted.

well, i've heard great reviews of the koda 6 components from adire audio. great, flat response, and a decent price. as far as midbass drivers go, the koda's are amazing. i'm planning on putting a set or 2 in my car
http://www.adireaudio.com/mobile_audio/components/components.htm

you could also go with the normally recomended "top" brands.
CDT components are sweet. if you are on a budget, the CL-61a are half price cause they have the wrong color paint on them. the ES-643 3 way components are sweet, utilizing a 6.5", 4" (i believe), and the tweeter. the downside is that you'll have to custom mount them.
http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/CDT_Audio_Components.html
i've also heard great things about the RF components:
http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/ROCFNQ3146
then there are alpine, image dynamics, phoenix gold, boston acoustics, MB quart, JL audio, dynaudio, and of course the almighty focal
http://www.purecaraudio.com/subcat.asp?0=209

dafoo21
09-02-2003, 03:06 PM
so going with the kodas for rear and the cdts for the front, id be using my money wisely?

blue LEDz
09-02-2003, 04:18 PM
so going with the kodas for rear and the cdts for the front, id be using my money wisely?

well, as far as using your money wisely, i'd go with a set of the $150 CDT's up front in a set of kick panels amped with the high pass x-over set at 200 hz or a little higher. the same set in the rear x-over above 100-150 hz. and a set of koda's in the front doors low pass x-overed at about 400 hz, and an infrasonic filter set at about 40-50 hz, to keep the really lows from hurting the kodas. now the exact x-over points will take some adjustments, but those are where i'd start. you could also put the front components in the doors, and the koda's in kickpanels, or in a small box in the trunk. as far as an amp, depending on what you have now, you could look into a 5 channel amp like the autotek SX-5750 for $350.
http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/autotek.html

total would be about $810 for all that, though.

asylum24
09-02-2003, 05:26 PM
Im telling you Rainbow has hte best compnent speakers in the world

http://www.speedsound.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jncqhmkpc

$1900 for these bad boys

dafoo21
09-02-2003, 05:42 PM
well im only ready to spend money on 2 pairs of speakers right now so im definatly going to go with the CDTs and i should put those in the front somewhere (whether it be in the doors or not, im not likign them in the doors right now because it rattles like a mother). but what do u recommend for the rears? im really looking to get some good enough bass without having my current subs because i dont really need all that bump just for some rock music.

dafoo21
09-02-2003, 05:43 PM
the current amp i have is 2 channeled 120X2 mtx amp

asylum24
09-02-2003, 06:13 PM
for good bass and without the subs... just get kicker 6x9's and use the amp on them it'll hit pretty good for just 6x9's

blue LEDz
09-02-2003, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by asylum24
for good bass and without the subs... just get kicker 6x9's and use the amp on them it'll hit pretty good for just 6x9's

for the cheapest way to do things, without comprimising SQ or bass response, this is a very good idea. find some 6x9 midbass drivers without tweeters on them for even better bass response. then add the CDT's up front, and it'll be a sweet sounding system for a rather cheap price. also, you need to sound deaden around the area the speaker mounts to, as well as under the edge of it. 10 sq ft of e-dead should work very well to do 2 layers on the front doors and rear deck.
http://www.edesignaudio.com/ep/edead.htm

asylum24, those components are sweet:D i've only heard rainbows in one vehicle, but they sounded sweet;)

dafoo21
09-02-2003, 07:18 PM
would i be compromising anything by just having mid bass coming from the back and just having 2 speakers giving me the 'high' sound?

dafoo21
09-02-2003, 09:58 PM
i purchased the CDTs and the e-dead stuff. now all i need is the amp and to decide what rear speakers i should get...

onehawaiian
09-03-2003, 12:22 AM
-focal utopia components, $1200+ retail
-cdt eurosports, $500+ retail

i really like these. of the two, the cdt's would be my choice cause they are cheaper. :D

dafoo21
09-03-2003, 02:37 AM
6 X 9 midbass is like an oxymoron, im not finding them at all, am i just going to have to use the mounting adapter to put midbass drivers in the rear?

blue LEDz
09-03-2003, 09:30 AM
6 X 9 midbass is like an oxymoron, im not finding them at all, am i just going to have to use the mounting adapter to put midbass drivers in the rear?

sorry, i believe most companies are calling them 6x9 subwoofers, rather than midbass:rolleyes: i know MA audio has a set of 6x9 subs, and they are only $65 on thezeb:
http://www.thezeb.com/caraudio/ma_audio_subwoofers.html
i thought kicker had a set too, but i can't find it:(
or you could go with a set of 6" midbass with an adapter.

dafoo21
09-03-2003, 10:51 AM
no need to say sorry bro, uve been very helpful

dafoo21
09-03-2003, 10:55 AM
so if i bought the subs from MA audio, id be spending my money wisely?

i still dont understand how id be having a good sounding system with just having 2 front speakers giving me my highs and my back giving me bass...

Rider69
09-03-2003, 11:05 AM
Hey if you want ot hear my setup let me know. I have rear speakers but have them faded out of the equation. It sounds better without the interference of the rear sound. With a good set of components up front and good imaging, you do not need the rear speakers. At least as far as I am concerned.

dafoo21
09-03-2003, 11:21 AM
yea, im just a lil weary of doing that because i remember how speakers sound when i fade the sound just to the front speakers, it just sounds like something is missing

onehawaiian
09-03-2003, 12:48 PM
yea, im just a lil weary of doing that because i remember how speakers sound when i fade the sound just to the front speakers, it just sounds like something is missing actually, ur sound should come from the front for correct imaging. however, i found ppl have different tastes and biases so maybe rear fill is necessary. i have rear fill cause i have tv's for the ppl in the back.
but generally a solid frontstage is all that's needed. :)

dafoo21
09-03-2003, 04:32 PM
so i went to sound advice today and bestbuy and this is what i have decided. im going to keep subs but im just gonna have one 10 or 12... imma keep my current amp for that. for my mid ranges im gonna look into the boston nx model and for an amp, the guy at sound advice recommended i go with the eclipse ea3422 or something around there. 4 channel amp with 50 watts to each channel, this sounded low but he told its 50 "true" watts saying its going to constantly be giving off 50 watts all the time to each channel and other brands that advertise 50 true watts isnt tellin the truth.... any comments/advice?

1st MP3 in NH
09-03-2003, 04:46 PM
so i went to sound advice today and bestbuy and this is what i have decided. im going to keep subs but im just gonna have one 10 or 12... imma keep my current amp for that. for my mid ranges im gonna look into the boston nx model and for an amp, the guy at sound advice recommended i go with the eclipse ea3422 or something around there. 4 channel amp with 50 watts to each channel, this sounded low but he told its 50 "true" watts saying its going to constantly be giving off 50 watts all the time to each channel and other brands that advertise 50 true watts isnt tellin the truth.... any comments/advice?
Being that I sell and install all the same stuff up here at Tweeter, I can tell you those are great products.

That amp for $250 retail is the steal of the century. He was right that the 50x4 is an RMS power rating and not max like many amps over at best buy list peak power numbers which are incredibly inflated and totaly BULL****!

I just had a buddy come in and buy that amp from me also, I love that thing for a flexible 4 channel at $250 retail there is none better.

If you want I am sure any of the boys here can explain the difference between peak and rms values, I won't bore you with that just yet :D.

dafoo21
09-03-2003, 05:05 PM
it sounded good to me too but alot things can sound good lol. i went looking for those products at the list of places online that Blue listed but i came up empty, i was disappointed cause i wanted to get the products a lil cheaper =\

1st MP3 in NH
09-03-2003, 05:23 PM
Neither Boston or eclipse whore out there products. They prefer to have good retailers backing them and insuring there products are used correctly and to satesfaction. Yet another reason you will never see either in best buy.

Considering there price is already low, I would not throw the warrenty out the window for a few bucks.

dafoo21
09-03-2003, 07:08 PM
so i think imma be going with the boston nx 6X9s for my rear speakers, its a 3 way but the guy said its still mid-range, is he right? anyone else remmomend better? cause i dont wanna get more component speakers in the rear when i already have some in the front...

ok, i got a newbee question hear... when i get that e-dead stuff in the mail, where should i be applying it... blue leds told me generally where i should put it but im a lil confused, ive never dealt with that stuff before....

1st MP3 in NH
09-03-2003, 07:17 PM
so i think imma be going with the boston nx 6X9s for my rear speakers, its a 3 way but the guy said its still mid-range, is he right? anyone else remmomend better? cause i dont wanna get more component speakers in the rear when i already have some in the front...

ok, i got a newbee question hear... when i get that e-dead stuff in the mail, where should i be applying it... blue leds told me generally where i should put it but im a lil confused, ive never dealt with that stuff before....

Let your ears be the judge of a better speakers, thats all that counts. The bostons are a good sounding speaker that are build very well and backed by one of the best manufacturers out there.
What speakers are going in the front?
I would honestly do the boston rally seires componets to better match the NX speakers in the back.

The Edead is usualy easiest applied before the speakers are installed.

dafoo21
09-03-2003, 07:26 PM
im getting those CDTs that are half off..

well i know i need to put the e-dead on b4 but do i cut it in strips? i guess its kinda hard to explain over the internet lol.

thanks for all ur help guys, i appriciate it

i ask about the bostons because ive never heard midrange b4 so i dont know if they were really mid range speakers because the tweaters threw me off, i thought mid range were only 2 way speakers so thats why im asking u guys...

1st MP3 in NH
09-03-2003, 07:37 PM
The bostons are full range speakers as are most 2 or 3 way speakers. They are not intended for bass or highs any more then a 2 way is. The "way" refers to how may seperate drivers are making different sounds.

Most accurately the "way" should never be used to describe a speaker like them. Better used is coaxle or triaxle. For me a 2 way is a seperate tweeter and mid and a 3 way is something I am still convincing my girlfriend to take part in :D.
Sorry, to easy :D.
A 3 way should be a seperate tweeter, mid and mid bass speaker.

The edead shoucl be put on in as large of a sheet as you can. Example, my doors each have one slightly trimmed sheet of Dynomat extream on them. The inside has various sizes as I could easily fit a hole sheet in there.

dafoo21
09-03-2003, 07:58 PM
so the boston nx's im choosing would be an appropriate choice for "midrange" speakers?

ok, i think i get what ur saying about the e-dead.... just basically cut strips for the edges of the plastic for the door cover and the back panel that touches metal...opposed to using full sheets and just slapping them on and wasting alot of money.

1st MP3 in NH
09-03-2003, 08:01 PM
so the boston nx's im choosing would be an appropriate choice for "midrange" speakers?

ok, i think i get what ur saying about the e-dead.... just basically cut strips for the edges of the plastic for the door cover and the back panel that touches metal...opposed to using full sheets and just slapping them on and wasting alot of money.
The edead has to be applied under the vapor barrier and should be applied in as big of a sheet, not strip as possible.

The bostons area good full range speaker. They do everything form 50HZ to 20,000hz. If you want ONLY midrange then get the woofer part only of the CDT components you are buying.

asylum24
09-04-2003, 02:32 AM
bosten..mmm good stuff....

I think when Im tired of this system Im just gonna go and an all eclipse system...friend has 6x9's and 6 and a half components... when he wfirst got his sub he tricked me... he turned he car on and I was like wow tahts sub tight bass for 12's and it isnt that "bass in one diretion" type of bass... he ****ing didnt have the subs on yet and it was the speakers.. blew me away...

dafoo21
09-06-2003, 09:06 PM
so today i got the bostons and the eclipse amp installed. its sounds great! i cant wait to hear my system with the CDTs installed... ups came to deliever it yesterday but i wasnt home =(

MisterT
09-07-2003, 10:28 AM
so today i got the bostons and the eclipse amp installed. its sounds great! i cant wait to hear my system with the CDTs installed... ups came to deliever it yesterday but i wasnt home =(

Isn't that always the case?! :rolleyes: I had Boston Acoustics 6x9's and they awsome speakers with high ratings. Now I just own their Pro Series separates, older model (the 5.4's, but still sound pretty good). I wish there was a CDT dealer here in Chas. I would like to hear what they sound like. There is a Focal dealer and like every where, JL Audio. The shop that I used to work carries Focal, but dropped Diamond Audio, which at the time were the best sounding speakers that smoked Boston Acoustics and any other name brand separates we carried at the time. I wish I picked up a set of the 5" separates before resigning from there. :rolleyes: My Bostons still shine though. They don't sell them any more, but I would like to hear what the new ones sound like. They are $1000 retail though!!:eek:

Mikee Mike

dafoo21
09-08-2003, 04:08 PM
I just got the CDTs in today and i must say, they "look" like they sound good lol. ive never dealt with component installation, ive done my own speaker installation but components look complicated. are they as scary as it seems and i should get a professional install them or are they almost like installing a regular speaker?

MisterT
09-08-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Rider69

My suggestions to you area:
Front: CDT CL-61a $150/set (http://thezeb.com/caraudio/specials_speakers.html)
Rear: Infinity Kappa 692.5i $199/pr (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-5sYWOsvD9xt/ProdView.asp?a=0&s=0&cc=01&g=52300&id=features_and_specs&i=1086925I)
And you need an amp to drive all those speakers. To get decent bass without distorting the speakers, you need some decent power output, about 75x4.
I recommend:
U.S. acoustics USB-4085 $180 (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-5sYWOsvD9xt/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=120&I=235USB4085&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N)
or
Kicker KX600.4 $400 (http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-5sYWOsvD9xt/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=3&g=120&I=206KX6004&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N)

Rider, you have Focals which I hear are really good sounding speakers. Are the CDT's better in SQ and smoother? I never heard the CDTs before because no one locally sells them, but Focals are in the area.

Good Luck and let us know what you decide on.

MisterT
09-08-2003, 04:50 PM
I just got the CDTs in today and i must say, they "look" like they sound good lol. ive never dealt with component installation, ive done my own speaker installation but components look complicated. are they as scary as it seems and i should get a professional install them or are they almost like installing a regular speaker?

A lot of people install the tweeters in the triangular piece where the outside mirrors are connecte to. They just "pop" off with a small screw driver or you may be able to pop it off by hand and not risk scratching like I did when I put 6 1/2's in the door. I had to do minor cutting of the metal with a Dremel tool and it was very easy to do and the first time I ever did it. I used acoustic baffles from crutchfield to keep moisture out of the back of the 6 1/2 driver.

dafoo21
09-08-2003, 04:58 PM
im more worried about the crossovers, i never dealt with them before...

MisterT
09-08-2003, 05:07 PM
It's straight forward. You just run wires from amp to the crossover (they will tell you with terminals to use) and then the supplied wires to midrange from the correct terminal of the xover and the same with the tweeter. You can't go wrong unless you wire them wrong and get no bass do to reverse polarity, and in that case, your **** blows up, catches fires, hurts at first, but then once it becomes a 3rd degree burn your pain receptors are toast and you don't feel a thing. It's the skin grafting that hurts once the receptors grow back. :biggrin: Not to mention your car is totalled and flames have caught on to the house and spread through out the neighborhood.

MisterT
09-08-2003, 05:10 PM
You can hide the crossovers in the doors behind the metal. Just velcro them so that they don't fling around loose inside your doors when you open and close them. Mine are under the seats because I have kick panels, but could have had them mounted else where, but figured **** it and mount them under the seats.

dafoo21
09-08-2003, 05:12 PM
graphic... lol

dafoo21
09-08-2003, 07:28 PM
looks like i have to buy an extra set of wires because they didnt come with the wires that were suppose to be supplied.... the tweeter wires are pretty short, am i mounting them below the dash like at the bottom of my glove compartment?

dafoo21
09-08-2003, 07:35 PM
but dont i have wires running to my current speakers now? so dont i just snip those wires off my current speakers and feed them into the cross over then have wires feed the speaker from the cross over?

dafoo21
09-09-2003, 08:19 PM
so it is finally complete! i have the CDTs in.... the only real noticable difference that i hear is that they have more bass but ive only heard them for like 5 mins so i havent broken them in. what i did with the front speakers was that i used the stock speaker wire that was already in the car and fed it into the crossover because shouldnt that wire be powered from the amp? i would hope so! and i just bought extra wire for the fed from the speakers into the crossover so im hoping i did this all right...

MisterT
09-09-2003, 09:47 PM
I was going to give you some answers, but you beat me to it I see. Where did you end up mounting your tweeters? I snipped the factory wires and used them, but kept the speakers (in a box with the factory plugs attached to the factory speakers so I won't loose them). The tweeter wires are short because it is best to keep the tweeter with in so many inches from the woofer. It is okay though if you mount the woofer in the door and the tweeters in the pillar in the corner of the doors. The speakers should sound better, but once you put a bigger amp than the head unit's built in amp, you will notice a nice improvement of sound quality along with a little more bottom end:booty:

Today I spent the day running 4 gauge wire from my alternator to my fuse box and from there to my battery to get the dimming headlights under control when the bass hits, so I wasn't online for long and it was at odd times of the day. It still dims.:rolleyes: but the dimming is only enough to notice. I say F--k it because I have done every thing possible minus getting a bigger alternator and the head lights still dim at higher volumes. I give up being frustrated with this ever since installing the **** in my car in June I think it was.

Do you have a web site? When you get a chance, post some pics :biggrin: I hear that CDTs are nice.