Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So I used a buffer for the first time today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I used a buffer for the first time today....

Damn...I put way too much wax on that thing. I wax my car by hand and wasn't used to using a buffer. Overall it turned out real nice, but I had a lot of extra work trying to get all that wax off. The buffer just couldn't handle it.

Unfortunately, it's dark out now so the pics will have to wait until tomorrow.

Boy, this section of the forum is sloooooooow! Thought I would get started in here.

Process: Just your basic wash, clay, and wax. Used Mother's for the wax this time. Wanted to see how long it would last. I usually use NXT and Gold Class. Looking to pick up some Poorboys and Vanilla Moose in the near future.
    04 3s Titanium Gray Hatch...5 speed, black and red cloth, navigation, 5 Zigen 5ZR Copse Hyper Black wheels, 6 disc cd changer, xenon, moonroof...all the options minus leather and homelink. Soon to have yellow Rockblocker fog light protection!

My Cardomain Site

Bumper Plugs

Yeah, I know what you mean. I use to wax my Protege like every 3 months or so, but it always looked cloudy. I never buffed it because I honestly didn't know the proper way and didn't have the guts to try it out.

Well one Tuesday I went to my dealership to detail my car(I could do it on the clock, which I've done before, but I can always be interrupted and don't want to risk it), and the hood looked like crap, so I waxed it, and it looked worse. The other new car prep walked out and looked at it and he said "Have you ever buffed this car?!" I said no. So he showed me how to on half of the hood. It was amazing...so smooth and shiney. I then did the rest of the car, and it still looks good almost 3 months later.

I also buffed my Miata, and it looks great aswell. We recently ordered some compound/wax that's made for darker, and black, cars. I have yet to try it though.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
    On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
    My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

Yeah, the cloudyness was bad! Now I know not to use so much wax with the buffer. Just seemed like the pad was soaking it all up. I'll try it again in a couple of months and see what happens. Now that I know, it shouldn't be so bad or difficult.

Oh, and I will get pics. I just woke up and am being lazy.
      04 3s Titanium Gray Hatch...5 speed, black and red cloth, navigation, 5 Zigen 5ZR Copse Hyper Black wheels, 6 disc cd changer, xenon, moonroof...all the options minus leather and homelink. Soon to have yellow Rockblocker fog light protection!

My Cardomain Site

Bumper Plugs

Comment

Never been a fan of waxing my own car lol, the dealer did it when i bought it , and then since ive owned my car i did it once haha..........but doing it with a buffer sounds tempting so i will have to try it out

Comment

Anyone have a few good tips on using a buffer? I have one but it's still in the box as I can't work up the balls to try it and risk burning through the paint!

How much is too much wax?
          Obviously gotta' try to keep it moving but what else?
          1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

I believe you should only put wax on the pad once. Dunno. I'm going to try that next time and see what happens.

My Cardomain Site

Bumper Plugs

Comment

waxing your car is very important in keeping the paint healthy. it keeps a barrier between the **** (dirt, impurities) that gets in water droplets and your paint or clearcoat. normally i wax my car 3-4 times a year, usually before each season.

grayzoom, maybe im reading wrong, but are you compounding your new car?! usually only older cars use it...but i could be reading wrong...

Comment

Actually, I only hand-wax my cars. I use the buffer for compound. That's why my Protege looked so much better, because I used compound and it smoothed/polished the layers of wax I had on it.

1994 Protege BP-Turbo.....1994 Miata Supercharged.....2003 Protege5 stock DD.....1988 323 GT Turbo
                On the road soon: 2003 Protege5 V6 swap
                My vB Gallery - Full Information and Photos of My Mazdas

Comment

My car is almost 2 years old now. I guess I would be compounding. I usually wax it 4 or so times a year and never strip the wax like with Dawn or anything. If I don't wax my car myself and have a detailer come out, he will use a PC as well. I've just always thought it looked nicer with the buffer than by hand. Dunno. Is there really anything that bad with using the buffer? I don't know of a single detailer that doesn't use them on the cars they detail. Even newer cars. Oh, and I use a polishing pad and then a buffing pad. I'll be shopping for more pads soon. Anyone know if they have any made out of microfiber? That's what I use for washing and waxing. No terry cloth for me.

My Cardomain Site

Bumper Plugs

Comment

hehehe pad shopping.

POST pics of that sexy 3 already.... been long enough.
                    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                      hehehe pad shopping.

POST pics of that sexy 3 already.... been long enough.
                      lol...I know. I am still lazy. I guess I could give you guys an ass shot. Let me go get one. She's already in the garage.

My Cardomain Site

Bumper Plugs

Comment

My ass shot didn't come out very well, but since Donnie wants a pic...this is what he gets. Oh, and this is all you will ever see of her in real life.

This one is for you too, Donnie. Love ya!

This one came out looking like ****, but oh well.

My Cardomain Site

Bumper Plugs

Comment

rofl.

Thanks for the love.
                          The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

Not a problem. So...wanna come finish the garage for me?

My Cardomain Site

Bumper Plugs

Comment

So...I guess no one noticed my pj's. That's probably best.

My Cardomain Site

Bumper Plugs

Comment

Working...
                              X