Announcement

Collapse

Merged Threads

All threads have been merged into regional general discussions.
If you need a thread moved to a specific state, Please PM a moderator
See more
See less

Help with springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with springs

Is there anyone in/near the Portland area that has the tools and the knowledge and is interested in helping me put some springs in my Mercedes? Not happening for a few weeks at least, but I'm just putting the feelers out now. I would love to do the work myself but I've never done suspension stuff before so I want some guidance the first time around. I don't have the money to pay for an install right now but I want to share the work (I'm not asking anyone to do it all for me) and I'll buy the pizza and beer.

Can anyone help out?

If you have an Autozone around, they give out rent-a-tools and you can get a spring compressor. From there, it's pretty much a straight forward job. You can figure it out yourself without a problem as long as you have the tools. It's not that hard to do at all, just don't forget to get an alignment afterwords
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

I'm sure I could figure it out for myself, I would just feel a lot better having someone help me the first time around. If nobody takes me up on it, I'm sure I'll try it anyway.

I just looked at Autozone's website... how much is the deposit for renting a spring compressor? It doesn't say actual prices on there.

Comment

I think it's between $50 and $70.

Comment

Originally posted by Intruder
          I think it's between $50 and $70.
          The spring compressor was definately in that price range.
          '91 LX
          '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
          well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

I'm sorry I didn't pm you. I should be free in a few weeks on a sunday. I'd be more than happy to assist you. I help 94gld-dx with his, Ive also done a set on a GTI, 2 of my pros, a f150 and a monte carlo. Im sure I might be of some help. Just let me know when your ready to do it and Ill see if I can make it fit into my schedule.
            Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

No problem, I haven't even bought the springs yet so there's definitely no hurry. Also, I was at Les Schwab today having them swap some tires around and I took a look at the suspension while they had it up on the lift... and I saw that the springs are not separate from the struts. They just sit next to them, and they're only held in place by their own force. So really all I have to do is jack the car up, compress the springs, and slide them out, nothing else has to be disconnected. So I should be able to do it myself anyway, although it would be nice to have advice too.

Comment

Thats how they are it the GTI, but you will want to secure them to the car. I'd hate to see you hit a bump and have the rear springs go flying out. The front ones are a little more difficult seeint as it uses a strut setup. Just give me a weeks notice or so and I'll be there. Plus I can provide all the tools other than a spring compressor.
                Too bad I have AWD and you don't!

Comment

I haven’t ever done it before but it looks pretty straight forward. If I can help, let me know. Since I work nights, I’m available almost any afternoon.
                  1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                  1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                  2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                  1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Oh, are you in Portland?

Comment

Vancouver. I have some tools, and a back yard.
                      Last edited by 1st Gen; 02-01-2006, 05:52 PM.
                      1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                      1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                      2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                      1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Nice, always good to find new local people. I have a good friend who lives in Vancouver, off 112th and 39th next to 205... I get up there once every couple of weeks or so.

And to answer your deleted question, yes, I used to, but haven't had it for a couple of months now, so it must have been someone else you saw. Look for the car in my sig and you'll find me.

Comment

I'd more be then happy to give ya a hand... I havent the slightest what there is to be done, so if I don't end as a body liyin around or what not.. You got my number! haha
                          1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
                          Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
                          "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Working...
                          X