The Tragedy of Owning a Kia Sephia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tragedy of Owning a Kia Sephia

My wife has a '98 Kia Sephia. It is a true, classic POS. Due to factory recalls, frequent repairs, occasional breakdowns and generally shoddy construction, inside and out, we have come to despise this car. The stick is loose, sloppy and extremely long-throw. I drove a friend's Mack 1951, LJT tractor with a 707 CID gasoline engine and a 10-speed duplex transmission and its stick felt faster and more precise.

Whereas I enjoy working on my DX, I loathe working on the Kia as it seems like a useless, never-ending task.

We bought the car new to serve as my wife's daily driver and if it had been somewhat better built and more reliable it would have served that function well as the power is decent and the handling not too bad for a vehicle bought to be a commuter and grocery getter.

We originally bought this car because it was dirt cheap by comparison and pretty much all we could afford at the time. You get what you pay for! Perhaps the newer Kias are highly improved, much better cars but we're totally soured on the Marque. My wife's next car will probably be a Mazda 3, when we can afford it.

The only good thing about owning this car is that it gives me the chance to be the first to post in this sub-forum. What a petty victory.

Happy Motoring!
    02 DX Millenium Red - The Penultimate Driving Machine
    MP3 Strut Tower Bar kit; Cusco Front Lower Arm Tie Bar
    MSP Springs, Struts, Stabilizer Bars, Trailing Links, #3 Engine Mount
    Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
    MP3 Shifter, Knob and Aluminum Pedal Set
    Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery
    Summer: 5Zigen FN01R-C 16 x 7" Wheels; Yoko S.drive 205/45-16s
    Winter: Enkei OR52 16 x 7" Wheels; Falken Ziex ZE-912 205/45-16s
    Modified OEM Air Intake; Racing Beat Exhaust System; Techna-Fit SS Clutch Line
    Denso SKJ16CR-L11 Extended Tip Spark Plugs; Magnecor Wires
    Power Slot Front Brake Rotors; Techna-Fit SS Brake Lines; Hawk HPS Pads
    Red Line Synthetic Engine Oil; C/S Aluminum Oil Cap
    Cyberdyne Digital Gauges: Tach; Ambient Air Temp; Voltmeter

I had 2 Sephias. Lots of problems on both. I agree with ^^^^^.
    Back in BG business.

Comment

what is the year range where the sephia's came with the BP motor?
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

i work with a guy that owned a 2000 sephia. he bought the kia brand new and kept the maitianance top notch. well his comp went on it witch cause 3 sensors to go bad and made 1 of the pistons to melt. he just sold it to a guy that lives 2 houses down for 500 beans. the kid took it and put a toyota solara v6 in it and stripped the interior and ripped the paint off. hes in the prosess of painting it. when the guy i work with gets around to takeing pics i will definetly post them here.
        1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
        1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
        2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
        2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
        .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by bpt323
          what is the year range where the sephia's came with the BP motor?
          94-97 i believe
          1993 Protege LX-Midnight's shadow SOLD
          1996 Honda CBR600-Wrecked. Damn Honda crippled me
          2002 mazda MPV-family truckster SOLD
          2010 VW routon

Originally posted by jay
          .....they totally underestimated the number of gearheads such as myself that have families but refuse to grow the hell up and stop playing with cars, or that otherwise see the utility of having 4 doors. Obviously I ain't alone, as there are a helluva lotta sti and evo here. Bueler? Beuler? Mazda? Mazda?

Comment

Originally posted by turpro
            94-97 i believe
            Correct, the 98 does not have the BP engine. Another element of the tragedy.

Happy Motoring!
            Kartboy Stabilizer Bar Bushings; Nyloil Shifter Bushings; Red Line MT-90 Gear Oil
            Suvlights HD Wiring Harness; Osram Night Breaker H4 Bulbs; Exide Edge AGM Battery

Comment

What a way to start the section

Comment

i have 2 pro's. both 1st gens... 1 awd 90, the other is a 92 dx... and sadly... since the two of those are out of comission, haha im stuck driving... a KIA.... wow, what are the odds....
                1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
                Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
                "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Originally posted by Lex
                  What a way to start the section
                  It can't be helped, it's the nature of the Kia Sephia to bring tragedy to all who own one.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

I rob stull like bolts and other stuff needed from sephias with the BP @ the j/y all the time.
                    The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

I may be buying a '97 Kia BP for my pro'... it only has 7200 miles on it
                      '90 Mazda 323 GT (sold)
                      '04 Mazda Tribute (sold)
                      '92 Mazda Protege LX (sold)
                      '91 Mazda Protege LX (blown engine)
                      '91 Honda Prelude (totalled)
                      '91 Honda CRX SI (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by D323
                        I rob stull like bolts and other stuff needed from sephias with the BP @ the j/y all the time.
                        At least it's good for something.

Happy Motoring!

Comment

Wow, and here I was goona buy a Kia Sephia myself. It was that or a dodge neon. But luck happened that I found my 97 protege for my price range of $3000. So could I buy a kia spephia 1997 and put the BP engine in my pro? It woudl be hell of a lot cheaper to buy a fricken Kia than the engine brand new, lol.

Comment

Here's some quick reading material about the Kia BP relating to a BHA Protege;

1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

All a 94-97 Kia sephia is good for, is exactly what I did to it in my sig.

Comment

Working...
                              X