moving my system to my new car.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

moving my system to my new car.

hey. i just bought a 2002 protege es. upgrading from my 97 protege lx. i love it so far. i just need to get my system switched in. on my old car i had the alpine cda-9847 headunit installed for me at best buy. then i ordered some pioneer speakers off of ebay. installed those by myself. ended up breaking some things cause i rushed. i also installed my 2 10' subs. not much of a system. i just enjoy having full sound. and being able to hear the sound over the wind noise in the summer with my windows down.

so here's my question. if i were to do the installation myself. what kit would be the best purchase. i looked at the list at the top of this page and it didn't help me really because i am so new at this when it comes to car audio. i want to do the thing with the headunit on the top and a empty bin beneath it. also. i am going go buy some new alpine speakers. should i have the front doors installed at best buy so i don't break anything?

anyway. thanks for your help. i really apperciate it.

lmao, i think that's the first time i've ever heard anyone ask if they should have best buy install something so nothing gets broke in the process. i lost count of how many systems i reinstalled due to best buys poor install practices.

the metra 70-7903 is what you need for a radio harness, since they changed from the harness your old car had to the new one in '01, iirc.

the metra 98-7599 is the basic turbo pocket, so it should work well.

Comment

You should be able to go to any stereo shop, i.e. Car Toys, Best Buy, Circuit City, or little local place, and they can look up and get you the right harness and kit so you don't have to worry about part numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by shaggyhair
        hey. i just bought a 2002 protege es. upgrading from my 97 protege lx. i love it so far. i just need to get my system switched in. on my old car i had the alpine cda-9847 headunit installed for me at best buy. then i ordered some pioneer speakers off of ebay. installed those by myself. ended up breaking some things cause i rushed. i also installed my 2 10' subs. not much of a system. i just enjoy having full sound. and being able to hear the sound over the wind noise in the summer with my windows down.

so here's my question. if i were to do the installation myself. what kit would be the best purchase. i looked at the list at the top of this page and it didn't help me really because i am so new at this when it comes to car audio. i want to do the thing with the headunit on the top and a empty bin beneath it. also. i am going go buy some new alpine speakers. should i have the front doors installed at best buy so i don't break anything?

anyway. thanks for your help. i really apperciate it.
        please tell me you have an amp . . .

Comment

yes. i have an amp. came with the subs and what not. it was one of those cheap packages. i'm not looking to have my eyes rattled out of the sockets. just want to have that bass. so ya. anyway. i have an amp.

i ran to best buy today and tried to ask the dude if he thought i could do the install myself. got nowhere. blah. i hate this decision. having no job. hinders the want to spend money.

Comment

yes. i have an amp. came with the subs and what not. it was one of those cheap packages. i'm not looking to have my eyes rattled out of the sockets. just want to have that bass. so ya. anyway. i have an amp.

i ran to best buy today and tried to ask the dude if he thought i could do the install myself. got nowhere. blah. i hate this decision. having no job. hinders the want to spend money.
            yeah, was just wondering because you didn't mention it in the original post and I wasn't sure how one would run subs without. anywho, with that in mind, you may want to upgrade that as well, or purchase a small to medium size multichannel amp to power the door speakers. I'm right with you as far as wanting something that will sound good without rattling the door panels, a decent amp for the regular speakers can go a long way in sound quality though. good luck!

edit: scratch that, just read the part about not being employed . . . bummer

Comment

it's been a rough first semester of college. i had like 6 grand of saved up cash. about 1500 of it is gone now. on food. and my first set of ****ty speakers and what not. blah.

i found some alpine s type speakers on crutchfield. for like 150 total for all 4. sounds like a deal. i may do that.

with the amp thing. how does that work exactly. like. i've read forever about amping your speakers to get full power. but like. blah. i feel so stupid asking this. like how does it work?

Comment

it's been a rough first semester of college. i had like 6 grand of saved up cash. about 1500 of it is gone now. on food. and my first set of ****ty speakers and what not. blah.

i found some alpine s type speakers on crutchfield. for like 150 total for all 4. sounds like a deal. i may do that.

with the amp thing. how does that work exactly. like. i've read forever about amping your speakers to get full power. but like. blah. i feel so stupid asking this. like how does it work?
                well, a problem you might run into with using aftermarket speakers w/o an amp is that they'll be underdriven and have the potential to blow. even on a high-power alpine HU. yes, I know this from personal experience. that having been said, if you don't crank the volume it shouldn't be an issue, but I would plan for it in the long run as you'll get a cleaner signal and just better overall sound quality. another thing: check eBay.

I know how the being in college thing goes, I just spent about $800 on a camera . . . yes I'm crazy.

Comment

just ordered Kicker KS69 and Kicker KS68. i talked to some sales assosiate. recomended them. prolly just trying to get rid of them. anyone ever used them before? i've never actually even heard of the kicker brand.

Comment

they look okay, but they aren't Alpine Type S. I've heard of the brand, AFAIK they're middle of the road. curious as to why you didn't get a component set for the fronts?

Comment

You've never heard of Kicker? They are more popular for their subs and amps I think. I love my Kicker Comp VR 10. Sounds damn good for a little 10" sub.
                      2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

i'm new with this whole. car upgrading thing. the installation of a component system just scares me. i like to keep it simple a guess.

and ya. i've never heard of kicker for like regular speakers. i've heard ads before for their subs but never their speakers. hope they're good.

Comment

i dont know how you cna hate bestbuy, they offer so many free installs and they guarantee it. i have them installed my head unit and speakers for free and it went perfect and no hassle for me.

Comment

Originally posted by soccom2005
                            i dont know how you cna hate bestbuy, they offer so many free installs and they guarantee it. i have them installed my head unit and speakers for free and it went perfect and no hassle for me.

i think i've been the only one to say anything negative about best buy. i've seen so many hack jobs come out of a best buy installer bay. heck, when i worked there selling appliances i made more money on the side fixing all the jacked up installs from their "free installs". i've seen them use electrical tape instead of butt connectors or solder when installing HU's. yeah, that screams high quality

Comment

I've seen a couple of those too. Overall they seem to be pretty good but I wouldn't recommend it to people over the little places.

Comment

Working...
                              X