1st gen BP swap in 2nd gen lx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st gen BP swap in 2nd gen lx

Anyone already did this ? i saw a couple of post of gtx/gtr swaped in a 2nd gen. Lots of wiring issues. But what about me ! I have a 1gen bp 1.8 rebuild and i own a protege lx 95 (1.8 dohc). May i just swap the engine ? or ill run into some troubles with the obd2 sensors. what about the engine mounts. Is this the exact same block ?

I plan to turbocharge this 1gen bp, so im woundering if theres something to do. Find an 1.8 dohc obd1 harness and swap it over mine ? How about the dash plugs.

I love this car so dont tell me to sell it and get a 1st gen hehe

Block is the same but sensors, distributor are different. You will keep your mounts, but you will need to get a couple engine mount brackets (part that bolts to the block/head). You will need a 95 BP harness too. 96/97/98 harness is not compatible with your chassis/interior harness.

Forget about the 1st gen wiring. Find a 95 BP ECU and harness. http://www.car-part.com

Can you do me a favor and update your location?

Comment

That or just run a standalone since your planning on turboing and not worry about the ECU.

Patrick that had the GTX in his 2nd gen used the stock mounts, and had haltech if I remember correctly.
      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

u have a bp in the 95? just curious why you want to put a 1g bp in it? is it blown?

Comment

yeah i do have a bp in there, with ecu. Motor is near 200k km so and i had this 1st gen bp for nothing so. made a rebuild with b6t rods and wisco pistons, 3 angle vavle job. This engine is ready for turbo.

lx is canada mean i have the 1.8 dohc, 4 disks, g type tranny ( ? ) , power window, nice interior. correct me if im wrong. What about the es model ?

Standalone is a way to do it, but i wanted to see if it would work with my 95 harness.
          I want to get the engine in, make it run, then turbocharge later. Any advices ?

Edit : Where i change my profile infos ??, im from quebec ,canada
          Last edited by rockykarlos; 01-27-2006, 05:58 AM. Reason: location

Comment

i tihnk putting the head on the 2g BP block, and putting the internals into it also might be easier and yield the same results.. Im a 2g noob, so i dont know if ythe 2g block is any different, i dont think it is. What pistons u using? a firend of mine has if i can rememebr 8:0:0 wiseco's in his bp, and @ 5lbs it wasnt too impressive....lol BUt @ 10-12lbs it was a whole differnt car.. ADN that was just with a AFC, it hink he cold have atleast did 15lbs+ but he wouldnt do it...lol

Comment

fixed your location for you... its under User CP.

Comment

OK, you have a 95 LX with a BP now so just take out the BP that is in the car. Next, remove each sensor one at a time and install them into the first gen BP. Then reinstall the engine into the car and plug everything back.

This should be straighforward except for any sensors that may be hidden in certain places. Isn't the cps covered by the lower timing cover? I may be wrong. Just tranfer and reuse everything. If there are any problems then you will be the first to discover them as I don't think anyone else has tried this...

Hell if I had a complete working second gen BP + harness I would try this with the BP I have sitting in the 323.
                1998 Mazda BHALP SE - Rain Forest Green Mica

Pacesetter short shifter ; Depo tails (thanks beetle_orange) ; Custom CAI nearing completion ; CF hood on the way ; Brembo blanks & KVR pads to be inst. (thanks Pigeon) ; Goodridge brake lines to be inst. ;

Much more to come...

Comment

hehe thx a lot, ill put this project on standby for now, i may have found a pro gt 91 that would erase all the troubles

Comment

Originally posted by rockykarlos
                    hehe thx a lot, ill put this project on standby for now, i may have found a pro gt 91 that would erase all the troubles
                    I thought you wanted to keep your 2nd gen.

Comment

dont worry, if the gt is not exactly how i supposed ill keep, anyway ill need a daily car and my 95 pro is nice and clean, so if the ficance are good, ill keep both !

A bp(t) in my 95 would be a lot better tho, but a lot more work and $. Ill check this out. Gonna see the pro gt tommorow ill give news. !

Comment

alright i bough it ! no more problems, ill keep both car for the moment. here some pics of the beast

And the engine that will fit right there ! not assembled tho

Comment

b6t rods?

Comment

ya, way stronger

Comment

get them shot peened and they will be even stronger still

Comment

Working...
                              X