fiberglass and MDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fiberglass and MDF

I have been reading lots of online tutorials about building fiberglass boxes. Some I came across use MDF and fiberglass together. They use the MDF on a few flat sides. Is there any downside to this?

The box I'm going to build is going to have the bottom half be square and the top half will have curves in it. If I can make the bottom half out of MDF it would be a hell of a lot easier than making the bottom out of fiberglass.

One more question. Does the temperature mater a lot? I was expecting to already be moved and working on this but things haven't gone as planned and I won't be able to start this for about 3 weeks. I have no idea what the temperature will be like since I have never spent a winter in Ohio. I have a garage I can work in but I have read the stuff smells horrible so I would probably have the garage door at least partially open.

I am thinking I will just wait till spring. Maybe that way I can try to get the sub and amp for Christmas
    02 Protege ES

fiberglass is actually very weak on large flat areas. fiberglass is very strong for cuves though that's one of the reasons why MDF is used on the flat areas. it will make a more solid box using the wood. as far as temperature is concerned, you will have to use more hardener in the cold weather, otherwise it won't heat up enough, and might not harden/dry completely, as well as take a lot longer to harden. course you'll want to find out the exact recomendations for this, since adding too much hardener will cause a fire and adding too little will not harden it very well also, whatever they recomend for the regular mix, cut back the hardener by a little, for a "cold" mix. this will make the fiberglass harder and less brittle. mixing it "hot", by adding more hardener will make it harden faster, but it won't be as strong. i think the mix is like 1 oz resin and 14 drops of hardener. so for a cold mix only use like 12 drops. course in the colder climate using 14 might be perfect for a cold mix

Comment

Working...
    X