Short Shifter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short Shifter

I wanted to know what kind of ss everyone had. I figured I would go ahead and get one since they are somewhat cheap. How hard is it to install? Do I need to go under the car?

Here's mine. Stock vs Kartboy.

Intalling was very easy though U have to get yourself under the car

Comment

side question.... is it possible to remove the boot?
      and what are advantages to Short Shifters?

Kenwood KDC-519 w/ RF 500bd + e12K.44
      RB springs
      Magnaflow catback

2004 mods:
      MP3 front bumper conversion

Comment

yes you can remove the boot, you can leave it off or replace with a different one. Not sure how easy it is to do on a 3rd gen.

As far as advantages, a ss is supposed to get your throws in faster by the shortened travel distance. Also, they are more fun to use :-) O yea, and they can look pretty cool. I think some may claim that they will help reduce a mis-throw also, but that may just be subjective.
        Tag Team

Comment

aight, heres how you remove the boot:

1) pull the handbrake, there is a piece of plastic with that rubber thing inside of it. grab the inside of the rubber, which is the boot for the handbrake, and pull towards the front of the car. it should pop right out.

2) from the hole you just created, pull up on the area around the shifter, this piece too should just pop right out.

so now you have your shifter exposed, and ready to be taken advantage of.

3) remove shift knob by unscrewing it. there are a series of hooks underneath the boot that hold it in place. what you need to do is just pop the leather off each of these. i suggest the front two, then the back two, then each of the sides from underneath the boot. the sides are the hardest, as they wrap the leather around a piece of plastic to give it that nice square look.

4) replace stock shifer, replace boot, zoom zoom

btw, i have the kartboy.
          Jon - 01 Silver ES 2.0 5-speed

Comment

Hey mp3 wannabe, how much did they charge u for painting everything. Looks sweet. I have the mp3 wing, and black rims. and numereous other mods. good color choice, mines sunlight silver also.

Comment

i made my own, took about an hour. about the only real difference is distance from the pivot ball to where it connects to the arm going into the tranny. just add about 2 inches and your set. if you lived in tx i would build you one.
              '02 classic red p5
              currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Who make a SS for the protege 5. I just got one yesterday and need to hook it up.

Tim

Comment

kartboy
                  2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

Is there a link to a web site for kartboy

Tim

Comment

Manufacturers of the world famous Kartboy Short Shifters, Bushings, Endlinks and more. 100% Made in the USA.

Comment

Working...
                      X