OEM Upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OEM Upgrade

I'm getting tired of the OEM sound in the Protege so I have a few questions hoping for guidance in the right direction. My first thought was to replace the oem speakers with some Boston Acoutics. Unless it's absolutely necessary, I'd like to keep the HU for now.
    1. What's the specs on the oem HU - rated output, any preouts/aux outs etc??
    2. Crutchfield lists an array of different sized replacement speakers for the front , rear passenger and rear deck speakers - is there an optimum selection to look at?
    3. My rear passenger doors do not have speakers in it although there are perforated grills on them. Is there existing factory wiring going to those existing speaker cavities? If so, is there a connection on the oem HU harness to add these speakers into the equation.
    4. Will it be worthwhile to just up upgrade the front and rear deck speakers with Quartz or BA 2-way speakers using the oem HU or would it not be able to drive them effectively?

I'd like to see a noticeable sound improvement and not have to break the bank or tear half the car apart in the process. My main sound expenditure is in the MX3 (Clarion HU and rear 2-ways, Soundstream components up front, bridged Kenwood amp for rear deck Pioneer sub). Thanks,
    John
    '02 Protege' 2.0LX (stock)
    '92 MX3 GS-ZE (stuff)
    Ducati TT2

1) low wattage output, less than 10 watts. no preamp outputs. use a good LOC if you need preamp outputs.

2) fronts = 6x8 but can accomidate 5.25 or 6.5's with adapter plates.

rear deck = 6x9

rear doors = 6.5

3) no existing wiring. that's where the rear speakers are mounted for the protege5 model.

4) i'd upgrade just the fronts and buy a small amp to power them and ignore the rear speakers.

Comment

Thanks for that blue. To me that only seems like half a mod. I'd like to replace both front and rear speakers too. Since it appears that the oem HU is not up to the task, than it appears that I may have to replace it with one that will have about 35+ watts per channel @ 4 channels driven to adequately drive the front and rears. I'd probaly prefer that than trying to amplify a line level feed for only the front speakers as suggested. Now comes another obstacle - since the oem HU takes up 2 din spaces, what do I do for the unused din space remaining. Is there a cubby tray/pocket that can be fitted in that void?
      '92 MX3 GS-ZE (stuff)
      Ducati TT2

Comment

half a mod, or a better mod? you want the sound to come from in front of you. think of it as a concert, do you face towards or away from the stage?

the oem unit is definitely not up to the task of adequately powering a good set of speakers. but neither is an aftermarket HU. the least expensive route is to buy a decent set of components for up front and a small 2 channel amp. for about $250 you could get a decent 50x2 amp and a decent set of components.

Comment

Originally posted by jschrauwen
          Now comes another obstacle - since the oem HU takes up 2 din spaces, what do I do for the unused din space remaining. Is there a cubby tray/pocket that can be fitted in that void?
          '92 MX3 GS-ZE (stuff)
          Ducati TT2

Comment

Originally posted by jschrauwen

did you even try to search for that question?

Comment

Working...
            X