Car Alarms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Alarms

I have a 99 pro LX, and I was wondering if I should get an aftermarket alarm since I got all this money put into my car. After my bros rx-7 got broken into, im scared. Whats a good alarm for under 200 bucks? Or should I not even get one? Does the factory alarm suck that much?
    My OLD Car

An alarm would probably be a good idea. I have been considering it myself. I don't really know of any good companies but I know I have always heard about Viper alarms from my buddies.

Comment

Yea, Viper is the only company I even know of.
      My OLD Car

Comment

are you looking at spending $200 for just the alarm, or for installation too? too wire up my alarm, automatic windows up and down on all 4, remote start, proximity sensor, and LED underbody turn on took me about 6 hours. and that was 6 hours i NEVER want to repeat again. doing a basic alarm isn't any big deal. it's when you get into more features that it becomes a pain in the ass if you're getting an alarm, get a 2-way one. that way YOU know when someone is messing with your car, not just random people walking by that don't give a **** about your car i'd definitely get one with an extra sensor port, so you can hook up a proximity sensor. then if someone gets too close to your car, it'll chirp. and if they reach in a window, then it goes off full blast. adjusting the sensors can be a pain, but once you got it right, you're good to go don't worry too much about the brand name. you'd be suprised how many of the brain units are the same just get one with the features you want.

Comment

wow excellent! I dont care much for remote start since they are so expensive. Im pretty sure circuit city they have free installation.
          My OLD Car

Comment

hey blue which alarm do you have?
            2003 P5 Midnight Blue
            Buddy Club 2 Side skirts, DGM front lip
            OBX header, MAM SS midpip, HKS exhaust
            Racing beat sway, tokico hp's, tein stechs, gtspec tie bar, awr front motor mount
            sun ground kit
            5spd sunroof
            Carputer (DivX, MP3, NES, GPS, OBD-2 next)
            7in lcd molded to dash

pioneer 3ways all around
            power acoustik 2.4f cap, power acoustik EQ, Power Acoustik A1800db
            6 RE 8's on the way

Comment

Originally posted by traitorhound
              hey blue which alarm do you have?

ultra start 4500:

Comment

sweet. how much did it run u?
                My OLD Car

Comment

Originally posted by icynelly
                  sweet. how much did it run u?

just over $200 from my distributor my biggest complaint is the range. it's not as far as i'd like, and the only time it gets great range is with a brand new battery

Comment

Clifford or Viper (the same parent company - DEI)

Circuit City has free installation----and you'll get what you paid for!!!

I have been doing this since 1988, a free install is never a good install. an alarm is only as good as it's installation.

check out my Alarm FAQ (link is in my signature) If you don't feel up to installing it yourself, Pay the extra money to have it PROFESSIONALLY installed.

A good entry level Viper should run you around $250-275 installed. I used to do the 300ESP for $225 installed, all connections soldered, brain hidden away, wires camoflauged, etc etc... Don't get fooled into into thinking the upper level Vipers are better, thay aren't. They are all equal in security. They all have the same security features, it's mainly the convience features that are added. (the exception is the Viper 700 Euro spec)

Comment

yep my old roomate worked at CC and they soldered their connections, which is why i recomend them over best buy, who uses butt connectors or splice connectors

Comment

So would I be safe having it done at Circuit City? Is that considered professionaly installed?
                        My OLD Car

Comment

In general, yes, they are ****tards. but you will find the rare gem installer around. Go to each shop and talk to the head installers, get a feel for how they do things, from there you can determine if you feel comfortable leaving your car with them and having them perform the install.

Comment

what kind of questions should i ask and what woud be the answers I should look out for?
                            My OLD Car

Comment

Best to talk to the actual installer, not the manger or somebody who will NOT have thier head under your dash. A manager will always tell you what you want to hear, not necessarily what will actually happen.

Is the bay clean or is **** everywhere

Did they greet you politely or even at all?

Do they listen to your wants or are they just pushing product?

Is the guy your talking to competent, or struggling to answer

Ask about install techniques, how they make connections (solder is best) If they say crimp connectors or T-Taps, ask why? I bet they say it's just easier....you don't want homie cutting corners when he's installing a SECURITY SYSTEM.

How long do standard installs take? Should be around 2-2.5hrs. If not, they are cutting corners and merely installing the item, not making sure it's hidden or camoflauged.

Do they use split loom? (yes should be the answer)

Do they run the wires in tape with factory looms to make them much less detectable? (yes should be the answer) Most places will braid or twist the wires together into looms and not use any tape, this is usually a good sign they are NOT a professional shop.

How long as an installer? (should be more than 3 years)

Do they have a photo album of thier work? Even if the alarm part is not visiable, it'll give you an idea of what they can do.

Ask to see an install in progress or one just finished.

What relays to they use? (Potterbrumfield or Bosch)

Do they talk with you prior to the install, i.e. do they ask where you'd prefer the LED, the valet switch etc...

Are they certified with any install sanction. i.e. MECP

Comment

Working...
                              X