Mazdaspeed 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mazdaspeed 3

I can't believe nobody's posted this yet.

Attached Files
    2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Mazdaspeed 3 to Get Detuned Mazdaspeed 6 2.3L Turbo

From the date of its launch, the Mazda3 has been nothing less than a success story for the Japanese firm. Over the past year, the sedan and five-door Sport models have picked up where the previous-generation Protegé left off, racking up a healthy array of awards. With an attractive blend of upmarket quality and European-influenced performance, all at an affordable price, its no wonder that 3s are becoming extremely popular across the country.

Mazdas next step for its compact all-star is to crank up the heat with a Mazdaspeed treatment. The pumped up 3 will expand on the sport-tuned range which currently consists of the featherweight Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata and the soon-to-come turbocharged, all-wheel drive Mazdaspeed 6.

Unlike the Mazdaspeed Protegé, the companys initial attempt to gain ground in the sport compact marketplace, the forthcoming Mazdaspeed 3 will be a serious street machine with true performance credibility.

The heart of the hot 3 will be the same turbocharged 2.3-liter inline-four featured in the Mazdaspeed 6, but detuned from 260 to 220 horsepower to maintain distance between the two models. The powerplant is based on the normally-aspirated 2.3-liter unit with variable valve timing, found in the top-of-the-line Mazda3 and entry-level Mazda6.

With less horsepower under its hood and a lighter, more compact frame, plus to reduce development costs that would have to be passed on to the consumer, its nearly certain that the tuned 3 will remain front-wheel drive. The powertrain configuration, most likely backed up by a six-speed manual gearbox, should result in 0 to 60 mph times of around 6.4 seconds and a top speed of at least 155 mph, equaling that of its midsized sibling

Automobile.com makes shopping for auto insurance easier than ever before. Our simple online form will provide you with competitive quotes within minutes.

Comment

This is confirmation, not speculation though.

Looks like we don't get more details until it shows up at the show.

Comment

Sexxy. Im somewhat dissapointed that it will be FWD though. I wonder if the detuning will be as simple as different ecu programming.
        2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Originally posted by Marc93lx
          Sexxy. Im somewhat dissapointed that it will be FWD though. I wonder if the detuning will be as simple as different ecu programming.
          re-tuning probably won't be too difficult

Comment

Plus it'll have a lot more possibilities sharing the engine with the 6... performance parts that will work for both.

I'm curious what made them decide that this will be a "serious street machine" with true potential while saying that the MSP was not. Is this only because of the engine power, or is there something more?

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
              Plus it'll have a lot more possibilities sharing the engine with the 6... performance parts that will work for both.

I'm curious what made them decide that this will be a "serious street machine" with true potential while saying that the MSP was not. Is this only because of the engine power, or is there something more?
              and it's also the miata motor, it's the replacement for the BP

Comment

Oh, I didn't realize that. So now there's an AWD, FWD, and RWD version... sounds like some good opportunity for custom work .

Comment

Originally posted by Marc93lx
                  I bet it will have a smaller turbo.

Originally posted by 95ProLeila
                  and it's also the miata motor, it's the replacement for the BP
                  The MX-5 Miata uses the 2.0 liter version of the engine. It's not really the sucessor to the BP, it's just a plain new engine.

Comment

The BP will be hard to beat ...

Comment

mmmm, cant wait for it to come out and someone figure out whats holding it back....

260+ hp in a 3 by using 6 parts makes me want it even more.
                      The T3 BP MX-3 conversion has begun, and is taking forever & will kill me.

Comment

I smell VF34 upgrade-age . . .

Comment

hell yeah, fwd burnout everytime you run the car!!

Comment

Joining them on the Mazda stand will be a Mazda5 Hydrogen RE Hybrid concept vehicle powered by a RENESIS rotary dual-fuel engine - that can use hydrogen or gasoline - and an electric motor, for both outstanding eco-friendliness and Zoom-Zoom driving pleasure.
                            Hyrbid Rotary..... whoa...... im intrigued by this.. oh and the MS3.... ya... i cant wait for that ****
                            1992 Ultra Blue Metallic EGT - The 'scort with no name - crap>reliable daily>rallycross prep>stage rally
                            Featured in Rally Gearbox Magazine 3/1/11
                            "There's a hierarchy of insanity in motor sports. Normal people think all racers are crazy. Folks who race sedans think people in open-wheel cars are nuts. People who race cars of any kind think motorcycle racers are absolutely off theirs meds. But there's one group that everyone agrees is made up of the most extreme, the most daring, and absolutely craziest people in racing - rally racers."

Comment

Finally Mazda is putting something out to make all those Neon and WRX owners in thier place. Cant wait till it comes out. Wonder what the availability is gonna be
                              94 Protege DX... A work in progress.
                              Spring Tech Springs
                              Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
                              Cone Filter
                              17" Rotas
                              More to Come......

Comment

Working...
                              X