Fuel related problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel related problem

This issue has been bugging the hell out of me. Hopefully someone can shed some light on this problem, or has experienced something similar.

My protege will loose power when I turn right. The problem is more hightened when the tank is half full.

the feeling is like the engine is not getting enough fuel and if I don't straighten my path, the engine dies.

I've done tune up, changed fuel filter. I even took apart my fuel pump, no debris on the filter inside the tank. The problem seems to go away after I've banged on the fuel pump cover couple of times, or if I actually take out the pump, let it dry and put it back in.

Needless to say its pissing me off. Especially on the highway when the grade turns right, I'm afraid I'm gonna loose power and have the engine shut off totally, what happens is usually i just coast and hope it doesn't turn off.

PLEASE HELP!
    Current Cars
    94 DX, 97 Corolla
    Past Cars 92 LX(CDN), 89 CIVIC DX, 93 Teg, 93 MX-3

I was having the same problem. People here told me it was normal.

After taking out the pump to check things and putting everything back together, I had decided to add more baffling to the baffled bucket in the tank and add a cover to it, but the car has not done this ever again.

I can take corners as hard as the car can take them with the fuel tank at any level and it won't starve anymore. I even ran the car out of gas one time trying to make it happen. I don't know what I did that could have fixed it, but I won't open it up to take a look unless it happens again because I don't want to mess it up.

Comment

ive never had this problem...is it a dx problem?

Comment

I straightend out the fuel draw tube by the fuel pump a little..... changed the fuel pump since mine was dirty and clogged(probably your same issue)

as welll i also changed the fuel filter under the hood. (that only made my car like me more )

the issue only happens to be found in the fuel pump and intank fuel filter.... could also be related to the degree that the bend in the draw tube is.....

try both possiblities...
        straighten draw tube
        replace the fuel pump itself...with intank filter...(just swap another one in from a j-yard)

if that doesn't work well..... then good luck
        ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
        he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

here is the thing
          last night i was so pissed off, just took of the seat and banged on the housing a bit with a wrench. made the problem a bit better.
          Current Cars
          94 DX, 97 Corolla
          Past Cars 92 LX(CDN), 89 CIVIC DX, 93 Teg, 93 MX-3

Comment

you're fuel pump IS NOT a television with bad reception!! though i can't lend valid advice to fuel system repairs, i don't think a wrench is the solution!
            peace

Comment

lol u tell him kevin!

Comment

go ahead bang on it with a wrench ... when sparks fly and we see on the news about a car blowing up we'll send simpathy cards to your family.

lol
                open it up and do it right
                ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
                he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Originally posted by iwokeupfrmadrea
                  ive never had this problem...is it a dx problem?
                  I don't think so, it seems to be kinda a hit or miss thing, kinda random. I ran buttonwillow with nearly half a tank, it was OK, but similarly, I've heard SE-R people complain of starvation issues with 1/2 tank. It's not a unique problem.
                  2006 Mazda 3 hatchback manual

Comment

i've never seriously raced my protege, but when i'd run it down to where the fuel light would JUST come on... flooring it would stutter over 3,000 rpms. since then, i've ran the tank lower and it still never stutters, even calculating i've drained the fuel tank all the way down to where it took 12.5 gallons to fill up my tank (supposedly holds 14.5), it still held strong up through 6,000 rpms without a stutter. i can't pinpoint ONE specific improvement that has made the difference, but since my intake has been redone, the exhaust as well, air flow meter has been replaced, full tune up with water pump and timing belt, fuel pump WAS replaced, however, i don't believe had everything to do with this problem. and again, no amount of leaning (within reason around here (ie, not much hills, plenty of tight turns), my car never stutters, the power is on demand and never lags as long as the engine is warm.
                    peace

Comment

My car has, never, ever stuttered, no matter how much or how little gas it has.
                      ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

Working...
                      X