Pioneer HU Not mounting correctly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pioneer HU Not mounting correctly

You all must think I'm completely inept by now, but I've got yet another question. Last night, I installed my Pioneer DEH P6500 head unit. I bought the Mazda pocket from mazdastuff.com, so I'm not using a mounting kit. However, the stereo doesn't mount snugly in there. I did use the rubber plug on the back, and that does stabilize it, but in the front, it has about 1/8" of room where it can move up and down. Is there something else I should be using to stabilize it? What do they use on the MSP and MP3?
    2003 Protege LX 5-speed

I can't speak for what they do on the MSP or MP3 but I went to the hardware store and got a chunk of foam (like what you use to seal door and windows) and then put it between the HU and the pocket. It helped it fit a little more tightly (and eliminated a rattle I had).
    --JJB--
    '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
    Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
    16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
    15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
    Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

i think there is a support braket that you can purchase along with the pocket to suport the HU and "fill" the gap, did you put the trim ring on?
      '02 classic red p5
      currently enrolled in AA.

Comment

Yeah, I did put the trim ring on. That helped, but the headunit and the pocket stll aren't as secure as they should be. Does anyone know where to get the support bar?
        2003 Protege LX 5-speed

Comment

The folks at Mazdastuff can get them for you. I have used both in the past, some foam to help support the headunit, and the bar to secure the slide in bracket for a secure install.
          I was planning on writing a tome on the virtures of the bar, I would not use a single DIN install without it actually. There are nice holes drilled into the the frame halfway up to screw in the bar, with small male/female points and holes to line up the correct location for the bar.
          For the price it is a key to a good single DIN install.
          David A. Cameron
          "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men
          stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Ex Protege Owner- and I still love em!
          2004 Cooperworks Mini
          2003 Acura TSX

And I swear not another car until my daughter gets a drivers license!!

De Oppresso Liber
          Sine Pari

Comment

Originally posted by dacinokc
            The folks at Mazdastuff can get them for you. I have used both in the past, some foam to help support the headunit, and the bar to secure the slide in bracket for a secure install.
            I was planning on writing a tome on the virtures of the bar, I would not use a single DIN install without it actually. There are nice holes drilled into the the frame halfway up to screw in the bar, with small male/female points and holes to line up the correct location for the bar.
            For the price it is a key to a good single DIN install.
            so, does someone have the Mazda PN for the for aforementioned bar?

TIA.
            --JJB--
            '02 Silver Protegé5 - 5sp - no performance mods, no plans for them
            Kenwood Z919 -- Polk Audio speakers
            16" alloys w/ 205/50 Bridgestone RE750 (summer)
            15" steels w/ 195/55 Bridgestone Blizzak LM22 (winter)

Moon roof - wind deflector - variable intermittent wipers - electrochromic mirror w/ temp & compass
            Winter/beater car: 1997 Mercury Mountaineer with 182k on it

Comment

Thanks a lot! I just emailed mazdastuff.com about the support bracket because I didn't see it on their website. I'll post some pics later. I can't believe how much better it sounds with the Pioneer unit. I noticed when I was laying in the trunk installing the XM tuner that the factory speakers in the back are Pioneers. I thought that was odd since the MP3 and MSP have all Kenwood equipment.
              2003 Protege LX 5-speed

Comment

breiland-

I have XM now, and really enjoy it. Which XM unit did you do? I am using a Premier 940 and the 910 XM unit in the RX-7 new, pretty cool stuff. I really do like the Pioneer and Pemier hardware alot. For the dollar I think it is very well designed and reliable.
                Mazdastuff is a good bunch to work with.
                I wish I could say good things about the pioneer speakers that are stock to the Protege,but they are pretty awful paperspeakers with not much magnet mass. They are daul cones, which is a pretty amusing way of build a speaker- there is the speaker, and then there is a "wizzer" a smaller round paper cone inside the first! It is passive in design, not an active seperate speaker.
                I would humbly suggest that your next considered upgrade should be two new pair of speakers-
                The headunit is a great first step- and XM is a great signal source, now you need to complete the circle and go for a step un in the part that generates the soundwaves for your ears!!
                Good luck on the rest of the install, and please let us all know how it turns out in the end for you.
                David A. Cameron

2004 Cooperworks Mini
                2003 Acura TSX

De Oppresso Liber
                Sine Pari

Comment

I have the Pioneer 910 XM unit too. It's really nice. I had it in my Dodge Stratus but took it out when I traded it in. I was thinking of just going with an add-on XM unit like the Delphi or Sony unit to work with the factory 6-disc changer, but when I have XM, I don't listen to CD's very often, so I decided to just stay with my Pioneer XM tuner and get a new headunit to run it. That way, my dash stays uncluttered too. You're right about the speakers though. They aren't the best. My factory speakers in my Dodge were great...much better than than the speakers in my Pro. However, I have a better car now, so it's an okay trade off. I'll be getting new speakers sometime soon. Thanks everyone for all of your help. ClubProtege is the greatest.
                  2003 Protege LX 5-speed

Comment

most of the folks here are vets of other boards, the support network here is just great.
                    You can get some decent speakers for a minimum investment- it is a logical next step .
                    I am like you, the digiatal sound source of XM pretty much gets my ear. I find myself thinking Delphi for the Accura that is my daily driver now...
                    David A. Cameron

2004 Cooperworks Mini
                    2003 Acura TSX

De Oppresso Liber
                    Sine Pari

Comment

Working...
                    X