Deadened My Floor Pan and Dash.. (Pics)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deadened My Floor Pan and Dash.. (Pics)

This is a copy of what I've posted on the Impala board, however, I figured I would share my endeavors with the Protege community . With nothing to do on a 22 Degree Sunday afternoon, I undertook a deadening project on my front floor pan and driver's side dash board. I still haven't figured out how to rip out my front seats, however, I was able to pull the carpet back far enough to get the job done. I ended up doing 2 layers of eDead V1 on the floor pan and 1 layer of eDead v3 padding. I also did the lower dash panel under the steering wheel, both fuse end panels. I also did a few layers of deadening up the firewall under the rubber mat. My next undertaking will be re-doing my back dashboard and suring up the trunk rattles. This will most likely happen when I'm able to source a rear strut bar for install. But for now, enjoy the pictures.
    Kevin
    P.S. This IS a half ass job, however, I DID use a heat gun and roller to ensure the eDead will stick. Best part though.. no odor like you get with other deadeners.

Hawtness.

Comment

how much did that cost you for all of the E-dead.
      Its definitely some hawtness As said. How does it feel when you get inside the car now?
      ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

1992- project FE3..... 313 WHP @ 9.3psi

I pet my dash when I get into the car..."good car"
      he actually has a mazda tree, parts grow on it

Comment

Feels like warm panocha I bet.

Comment

mmmm, panocha
          ---Has ClubProtege helped you in someway? show your support by Contributing--- Click Here---

Comment

The Impala is pretty well insulated to begin with. There is a rubber pad running up the firewall with foam insulation and the carpet is padded and lined with rubber and urethane foam. The floor board is mated with a rubberized sheething that kills most metal resonance. The only downfall is there are two rubber 'plugs' in the floor board that allow plenty of noise to radiate through the floor. If you pulled these plugs out, you could see straight through the floor and watch the road pass under the car. What my installation of dynamat did was to further strenghten the floor pan and pad the floor even more. As for the noticeable benefit, I only did as far as the front of the front seats and it's barely an audible difference in road noise as the car is well insulated to begin with. In a 323/Protege, the difference would be night and day with the addition of alot of carpet padding. I'd recommend at least 1/2 an inch of foam padding of some sort to kill the road noise.

For the patches that I did, I used about $45 dollars worth of V1 and V3 eDead. I still have yet to reline the floor pan under the front seats, the rear of the car and under the rear seat. I will also dynamat under the rear dash, trunk and rear quarter panels..as well as install carpet padding under the rear deck cover. So I have plenty of work cut out for me. The biggest consideration to face is with the 'comfort' of deadening materials in your car, you're going to add weight. Use it sparringly and only where you think it's needed. IE.. in thin floor pan areas, above the exhaust tunnel/drivetrain if you're running AWD. You could more than cover the entire floor and trunk of a Protege with 80 sq.ft. of eDead.. it's just costly to do as it will more than likely take more than a day to do.
            Kevin

Comment

in the past i've thougt about e-dead'ing my entire floor pan in an attempt to quiet down the noise from the exhaust & road, putting the turbo on made the exhaust quiet, now i've just got to worry about the road.

Comment

Well.. Ryan, in your case just put one layer of eDead on the floor and install SYNTHETIC carpet padding underneath your carpet and you'll kill a good amount of the road noise you might be worried about. Dynamat/eDead is more for metal resonance and less for road noise.. though it helps both .

Comment

nice nugga

Comment

For what it's worth you can get 62 sq feet of RAAMmat BXT for a little over $100 now, if someone wants to do their entire car for a reasonable price.

And Kevin, do you know of a place to buy synthetic padding online? I looked for some locally and apparently nobody knew what I was talking about, and only had the spongy stuff.

Comment

Unfortuneately, not off hand. I'm thinking I've ran across a few options before, however I wasn't very pleased with the prices? I'll take a look over the next week.. I'll let ya know if I find anything.
                      Kevin

Comment

Check out the deal on Polyethylene Foam Roll at Foam Factory, Inc.

or ensolite from raamaudio work well for sound insulation. i haven't used the volara, but i've heard good things about it.

Comment

Hmm. I'm fairly certain I can get carpet padding that's not designed specifically for sound damping purposes for cheaper than that... would it be worth extra money for this stuff? The carpet padding would be thicker than all but the expensive volara, and all the ensolite.

Comment

ensolite is almost as effective as 1/2" thick jute carpet padding. not bad for something that is 1/8" thick.

Comment

Huh, sounds worth it then. Especially for the doors where there isn't a whole lot of room anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X