battery keeps dien

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery keeps dien

well, before i bought my car my friend had bought a new battery it was like 3 months before i got the car, nad when i got the car, it was sitting becuase i dont have my license so everonce and a while id go out and start it, so its not just sitting htere, and that battery would die, so i would jump it., and run it for a half hour, then a couple starts later it woudl be dead again.., so then i had bought a new battery , hopeing that would fix the problem, and sence i put the new battery in , within three starts the battery is dead..??? what could be the problem?? cna someone help i was told by someone , i need a new alternater,, and other people say no., so i have no clue i know nothing really about cars ., can someone give me some suggestions??

u might wanna try checking for shorts and drains on the electrical system. dig around, look for potential problems...etc

Comment

*bump*

Comment

leading causes for battery not holding charge in YOUR case, per the haynes manual:
        1. alternator drivebelt defective or not adjusted properly
        2. alternator not charging properly
        3. loose, broken or fulty wiring in the charging circuit
        4. short in vehicle wiring

does the engine make a squealing noise during idling or when the transmission is put into gear? personally, what you can do without spending money, check your alternator belt, make sure there is LITTLE or NO tension in the alternator belt. make sure the alternator belt hasn't glazed over or is dry rotted. check that everything is grounded properly and your wires haven't corroded. after that.. signs point to replacing or having your alternator serviced. good luck
        peace

Comment

are u at work kevin?

Comment

thanks., my moms b/f is going to check it all out 2mrrw., and it doensnt make a squeeling when idle'n or when put into gear...

Comment

it sounds like you got a draw some where
              done any stereo work to it an amp maybe is drawing power when the car is off
              i is dumb

Comment

alternator?

Comment

well i did have a sound system hooked up when i had my other battery , but sence i put the new one in., iv been 2 lazy 2 hook it up again, becuase when my last battery died i unhooked it all , and i got htis new battery and it died so idk .,

Comment

the alternator could be puttin out not enough power to recharge the battery. or there is a bad connection somwhere? any erosion on the batter? or acid leakin? that can cause a bad connectin.
                    Maroon 1995 Probe SE
                    Beige 1994 Protege DX
                    Silver 2001 Protege ES

Comment

It sounds like the altinator, Or maybe something drawing power away. maybe a light left on Trunk light ?
                      Last edited by itzkcatz; 11-03-2003, 04:57 PM.

Comment

ok step 1 measure the output of your alternator. (ammeter) while the engine is under load. this is a but of a bitch concidering the ammmeter needs to me in series with the output of the alt. i think i can hook you up with a working 65A alt. talk to bcowie i know he has a spare one.

Brendan help a brother out....
                        When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
                        Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
                        Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
                        So his engine he goosed
                        With much too much boost,
                        And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

Working...
                        X