Help me decide on a sub

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me decide on a sub

A friend and I are looking for cheap but decent subs. Mine's going in the Subaru, his will be in a 2nd gen MR2. He has a $50 gift certificate to Crutchfield and so we're looking for stuff there. Here are some that he found last night... I want opinions.

Infinity Reference 1240w
    12"
    $69.99 / 1
    $99.98 / 2

Good:

Freq. response is 23-400hz, which should compliment the rest of my setup nicely, at least what I have planned.
    60-300w RMS power handling. I don't need to put much into these to get them to thump.
    User reviews: Great reviews saying that they are good for SQL and hit very hard after the break-in period.
    1.25 & 2.0 cu. ft. sealed / ported box size... which is pretty small for a 12" sub right? The smaller the better for me.
    11.5mm Xmax. Not bad for a budget sub.

Bad:

12" sub. I've thought about 10" or even 8" for my particular setup, which would likely give me plenty of bass. This one has the added bonus of being able to blow my ear drums if I turn it up much. I can also put $150 into a cheap mono 100w RMS amp and probably do fine on it. That's always nice.
    I don't know much about Infinity. Do you?

Rockford Fosgate P110S4
    10"
    $69.99 / 1
    $99.98 / 2

Good:

Sealed box 65 cu. ft, ported 1.25 cu. ft.
    10" sub, being a little bit friendlier for space.
    Max of 150w RMS power meaning cheaper amp, la la la.

Bad:
    This one plays from 20-200Hz, which scares me a bit because my 5 1/4" components will likely not offer very much bass, though I don't know the exact frequency range.
    7.7mm Xmax. WTF?

Infinity Reference 1042w
    10"
    $89.99 / 1
    $89.99 / 2 (buy one get one free)

Good:
    Price is great!
    Xmax 12.5mm
    Sealed 0.75
    Ported 1.75
    25-400Hz response
    60-250w RMS
    Dual 4-ohm voice coil
    I'm torn between the 2nd and 3rd options... I like the price on the Infinity but I REALLY like the frequency response on the RF. BTW, both of us are aiming for quality and not tons of thumping.
    Infinity Reference 1240w
    20.00%
    Rockford Fosgate P110S4
    20.00%
    Infinity Reference 1042w
    0.00%
    You're an idiot, buy _______________ instead.
    60.00%

..all i need to say is you get what you pay for..pay cheap gonna sound like doody

i say wait a little bit, add some more money to the gift card and get a much better sub and amp.

i don't trust anything that has buy 1 get 1 free unless it's food at wal*mart

ps: i like my bass haha, so if you want just a nice little thump from the trunk then go for it

pps: you already have the box and all that good stuff?
    Originally posted by 90prtege
    have you heard a yaris drive by you??? it says immmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmgayyyyyyyyy!!!!
    Originally posted by Turpro
    Fk the family. Drugs and hookers take priority first

bpt323: broom break
    CRZbrussian: that sux
    CRZbrussian: get swifer wet
    CRZbrussian: ****s aluminum

Comment

avoid the p1, p2, and p3's from RF. the cones are a tad too brittle and have had some problems.

get the 10" infinities. buy one get one free is a good deal on them. don't worry about the freq response, as there isn't an industry standard. being that it has higher xmax than the RF sub, it will get louder at 20 hz. just keep in mind that low freq response is directly related to the enclosure.

Comment

The box I will be building myself... I have a full wood shop including tablesaw, router, glue, nail gun, etc. at my disposal. I kind of figured that the frequency response wouldn't be a big deal, but that was the only thing I was uncertain of. Thanks!

BTW Brian, I may be asking your opinion on some box designs once I actually start working on the thing.

Comment

do you have a circle jig for your router? i love how easy it is to cut perfect sub openings with a router and circle jig.

as for enclosure question, you know i love to help with that

Comment

It's my dad's shop, he's been a master furniture builder and finish carpenter for 30ish years. He has every type of jig imaginable.

It'll be a sealed enclosure, so it shouldn't be difficult. I mainly just want confirmation that I am reading numbers from WinISD correctly. Hopefully I'll get it going weekend after next, so designs will be in the works soon.

Comment

You're an idiot, buy a hooker instead.

Comment

What's really sad is that Greg's vote for the hooker is the only actual answer on the poll.

Comment

Get a Power Acuistic, never had any problems.

Me VBGarage HERE

"90% of young people that get into car accidents say "OH ****". The other 10% are from Wisconsin and say "Hold my beer and watch this!".

Comment

We're looking for stuff available from Crutchfield at a "buy two get discount" price, because my friend has a gift certificate and is willing to cut me a deal on my half.
                    Last edited by jnorion; 02-22-2006, 12:04 AM.

Comment

I just bought the Infinity 1240's and a 1000w Profile amp. Granted this is my first sub/amp but damn it just about tears apart the aspire, the box it self was doing a dance before I put the seat against it to hold it in place - and that's only half of what it should do. Those and the db Drives sounds real good. I'd go with the infinity's.. don't know much about the rockford fosgate's.
                      A monkey can build a Honda.. real men build Mazda's...

Comment

I think its money better spent at the local strip club!

Comment

The city that I live in has more strip clubs per capita than any other in the country. Just FYI.

Comment

Quality not quantity.

Comment

I have a p2 and haven't had any problems. If your on a budget I think they're a good choice. Sounds great too IMO.
                              Back in BG business.

Comment

Working...
                              X