Can I repair a damaged speaker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I repair a damaged speaker?

I took my passenger's side door panel off today to mess with some wiring and discovered that a screw had come loose somehow from my speaker and has torn the rubber surround. This was a ~$300 pair of speakers when I bought it and I'm very reluctant just to get rid of it and replace it, but when I reattached it I noticed it is buzzing a bit now. The sound is still very clear, just with the buzz added to it. Is there any way to fix the surround so it doesn't buzz anymore?

A little background information, these are my MB-Quart 6.5" components. They run ~120hz and above, powered with 80W max apiece. I don't mind if they lose a little of their motion, I don't run them hard anyway.

Look at the different kinds of epoxy. One might for work for that application.
    A monkey can build a Honda.. real men build Mazda's...

Comment

epoxy plus a small piece of bicycle tubing can usually repair rubber surrounds.

Comment

I don't think there's actually anything missing from it, it's just torn up from it's mounting. Should I just glue it straight down?

Comment

yup.

Comment

Suppose you went out to the car one day and noticed that your surrounds have completely disintegrated? Such as what happened to mine?

That's right, I bought new speakers. New speakers with sexy paper cones. Oh yes.
            ~Mar.

Now say it with me... B-R-A-K-E.

Good job!

Comment

you can replace the whole surround. partsexpress offers kits to repair them. but for the price, you can just about buy a new set of speakers.

Comment

Working...
              X