My First Auto-X, what to expect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Auto-X, what to expect

Sunday, me and three of my buddies are going to an auto X. I was just wondering what I should expect, or do before I go and during. This is new stuff, so any advice is nice. I will have tons of pics, and I hear a Skyline will be there.
    BP-05 Turbo-Sold
    2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

1st off increase your tire pressure to more then usual for the track! I think the "normal" amount people tell you is 40 front and 35 back for auto x use. Umm what else. Oh clear out anything in the car that can fly around because they will make you do it anyways from what i hear! And last by not least make sure your helmet is certified in whatever way they need it to be!
    **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
    95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

good luck and have fun!

I do believe all events require a helmet, but you maybe able to get a loaner helmet, also take out all the extre stuff from your car, dont want any of that flying around
      "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
      -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
      *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
      172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
      New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Yeah, I have heard that stuff too. I am planning on taking out most of the rear things. They rent helmets, so I am good there. Thanks guys, cant wait till sunday.
        BP-05 Turbo-Sold
        2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman2
          1st off increase your tire pressure to more then usual for the track! I think the "normal" amount people tell you is 40 front and 35 back for auto x use.
          Out of curiosity, why would you want HIGHER pressure for it? I was always under the impression that a little lower would be better for handling.

Comment

Originally posted by elscotto80
            Yeah, I have heard that stuff too. I am planning on taking out most of the rear things. They rent helmets, so I am good there. Thanks guys, cant wait till sunday.

pics are mandatory
            "Discontent is the first necessity of progress."
            -Thomas A. Edison

"There is a fine line between ballin' on a budget, and dreamin' on an empty wallet."

*Junked* 92 mx3, BP swap- milage whore, beaten up and down the east coast
            *Junked* KLZE powered 323 on Megasquirt 1
            172.60HP & 156.93 TQ with only headers and short ram intake. back under the knife for a BPT swap.
            New Daily stock 1.6L 1999 Mazda Protege LX

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
              Out of curiosity, why would you want HIGHER pressure for it? I was always under the impression that a little lower would be better for handling.
              Negative...

Tires would...damn... dont know the word in english... well.. they just bent under the rim, especially if the tire sidewall isnt hard enough...

Higher pressure improves handling but starts and braking are a bit compromised

for example...

there is one roundabout in my town... and im on 175 70 13 tires which are POS

with front tires inflated to 2.0 bar and rear to 1.8 (that`s how it sould be) i cant do more than 70kmh in that corner, car starts to understeer and bounce...
              with front tires on 2.5 and rear on 2.3 i can maintain 85-90kmh

2 elscotto80: good luck and have fun!
              Last edited by MazdaMadness; 02-25-2006, 03:37 AM.
              One day you are born,
              The next big milestone
              you discover go zoom-zoom
              you can't get enough!

Remember, when someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, BUT, it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and bitch-slap that mother@#?!&! upside the head!!!

This car refuses to die! By TheMAN

Comment

If you check out your tires after cornering hard on under inflated tires, you can see it. The side walls will be all scuffed up.
                It sounds like tons o fun.
                I would drive a bit conservative at first. No use bashing into the wall on the first corner.
                1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Thanks guy for the advice. Pictorals will be plentiful.
                  BP-05 Turbo-Sold
                  2004 MK4 AWP Jetta GLI

Comment

Originally posted by jnorion
                    Well considering how hard you take the corners, etc. in auto-x, regular "daily driving/comfortable" pressure will be too low, which is why i run atleast 32 psi on my EGT but i don't drive that car daily and i DO enjoy curves and such!
                    **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**

Comment

Wow! 32 is high? I'm at 40 front and 35 rear on my daily driver.
                      1990 Protege 4WD
                      GT-X BP26 swap [AT->MT]|Cup holder cut to fit|Synthetic gear oil|Synthetic brake fluid|Corksport SS brake/clutch lines|Mazdaspeed HV oil pump|GT-X front STB|Corksport type I rear STB|Matching full-size spare wheel|Homebrew Brass shifter bushing|Speed Source brass shifter cable bushings|EDM headlights/corners|FMIC|EDM cabin vents

1 3 5
                      ├┼┤
                      2 4 R

Seeking: Canadian 4WD seatbelts.

Comment

question:

why would you run higher pressure on the front tires of a FWD car?

Lower pressure = less inflation = more of the tread contacts the pavement
                        93' Noble Green MX-ZE (sold )
                        02' Graphite Grey WRX Stage 4, 286whp
                        05' Pontiac Vibe daily driver, lowered/tinted/rims

Comment

Originally posted by Gro Harlem
                          question:

why would you run higher pressure on the front tires of a FWD car?

Lower pressure = less inflation = more of the tread contacts the pavement
                          More weight in front and also helps keep the understeering down to a minimum on these silly FWDs!

PS: Also lower pressure = more sidewall in pavement = ahhhhh shiiittt *boom*!

Comment

The pressure in a tire will fluctuate as much as three degrees between cold park and hot racing. Maybe even more. 32 in a cold tire will equate to 35 on the freeway. 35=38,39 racing temp. I would think that too much more than that would cause the tread to round causing less grip.

You can see the tread on over inflated tires and they’re all worn in the middle while the shoulders are still good.

I talked to a guy once about the over steer he was getting and how he was dealing with it and he was all about tire pressure. This was a short conversation in a check stand line with a guy wearing a racing jacket. It sounded reasonable though.
                            1991 Protege LX with GTX swap, DD
                            1990 4WD Protege with GTX swap, Project/garage decoration
                            2006 Mazda 3 with 2.3, Her car
                            1980 Ford F100 Short bed with 300ci 6 cylinder, work truck/home for moss

Comment

Originally posted by Protege Menace
                              On my azenis I found that running less than reccomended (by other people) pressures got me a LOT more grip.

I think 38 all around was when I PAXed 9th out of 150. felt like I had SO much mroe grip than when they were at 40 or a tad above.
                              Lol well yeah. 38 is alot of pressure! I assume that was cold and just went up while driving from there?!

Originally posted by 1st Gen
                              I talked to a guy once about the over steer he was getting and how he was dealing with it and he was all about tire pressure. This was a short conversation in a check stand line with a guy wearing a racing jacket. It sounded reasonable though.
                              Funny you mention that. I just went to 32 front and 30 rear (cold) yesterday and after banking a turn really hard because i was trying to make the light the car actually went into the turn and oversteered into it some what too for some reason! I used to run the same psi all around but now trying this. What did he tell you? And did he have FWD or RWD as the rules change slightly!

Comment

Working...
                              X