Windshield fogging up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windshield fogging up?

Over the past few months my front window is always fogged up from the inside. Well, it's not really fogged up as when the weather is cold outside but there is some residue on the window that is clearly visible during the night when there are lights shining at it. This only happens to the windshield and not the side or back windows. There have been a few occasions where I have noticed a smell similar to antifreeze inside the cabin. Could there be a leak somewhere? Will a leake cause antifreeze vapor to come through the vents and thus cause the window to get fogged up?
    -------------------------
    '91 LX
    '03 Mazdaspeed Protege #235

Originally posted by pigeon
    well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

A leak in the hoses under your dash could cause this. The heater hoses run through the cabin of the car to the heater unit. The engine coolant is what heats the air.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

Should I just follow the hoses inside the cabin inspecting for any visible cracks or punctures or is there another way to check if there is a leak somewhere?
      '91 LX

well if you're a fan of inaccuracy and uncertainty.... then by all means, go set your timing by feel and sound

while you're out there, you might as well adjust your air/fuel ratio by smell... and your tire pressure by ride height

Comment

I have a similar problem, I think, though not as bad. My defroster sucks balls, though, I need to throw the AC on to clear the windshield
        Dan
        dreesemonkey

Comment

Do you ever put **** on your dash? Like Armour All? It'll evaporate and condense on your windshield.

Also, there is crap in the vinyl dash from the factory to prevent cracking. Same thing happens.

Grab the Windex, some elbow grease, and stop crying

"Mazderati"
          91 LX DOHC 5 speed V8 stocker
          Pioneer DEH-550MP, Infinity 6002i's, Pioneer 6x9s
          Uniden PC76XL w/ Astatic Road Devil & 5' Wilson Silverload

1982 Jeep Wagoneer Brougham
          AMC 360 V8, 4-speed, 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Boston
            Do you ever put **** on your dash? Like Armour All? It'll evaporate and condense on your windshield.

Also, there is crap in the vinyl dash from the factory to prevent cracking. Same thing happens.

Grab the Windex, some elbow grease, and stop crying
            No, I don't put anything like Armour All on my dash.
            I am not crying about it........it's not the fogging up that bothers me that much, I don't want to be breathing this **** that's all.
            '91 LX

Comment

???
              boo hoo hoo. look **** might condense on your windshield. if we knew where you were from i might be able to help you. i have mine fog up 9 months out of the year. And i have replaced my heater core.
              When you turn your car on... does it return the favor?

Originally posted by goldstar
              Yes, still have it. It was my attempt to immortalize you in verse.

A Protege driver named Brock
              Once said 7 seconds he'd clock.
              So his engine he goosed
              With much too much boost,
              And drove a rod through his block.

Comment

damn.. well, i can fully sympathize with this crap. i smoke a pack a day, and at least half of that pack is smoked in my car, so you can imagine how often i have to clean my windshield. i tell you, as far as inclement weather (or basically anytime ****'s falling from the sky) my car sucks to drive. my mom is under the impression that i can't drive in the rain.. when the reality is i can't see worth a dick TO drive in the rain! it's strange. only thing i can recommend is check the gasket around your windshield, make sure water isn't leaking in or air isn't leaking out of it. furthermore, a good amonnia based windex should be used frequently to keep fogging down to a minimum. lately, with temperatures hovering around 40 to 60, changing every day, and with all the rain, i have to adjust my heat and everything quite frequently to keep fogging down. not much else i can tell ya, cept i'm in the dark just as much as you
                peace

Comment

i had this EXACT problem. there was like a fog coming out of my air vents. your heater core is blown bro. only problem is, i dont have a heater.
                  Serenity's Dead.

Comment

ahhh i habve a leaking core too. i smell the coolant in my car. meh i start my swap tomorrow i'll do it then.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Thanks for all the helpful info. That is exactly what I needed to know. I have taken my dash apart a few times so I know that it's very time consuming. Never taken it apart up to the heater core though, so I'll have to probably wait until spring time to do this. How much is a new heater core and where can I get one besides my local dealership and junk yards??? Never knew that this was a common problem. I guess the heating and cooling system of the 1st gen weren't designed to last forever like the rest of the car.
                      '91 LX

Comment

look if the heater core goes it drips on your ECU. spend the ****ing money adn repace it with a NEW oem repacment. i sure as **** dont want to cough up $600+ for an ECU when i can spend $150 and a weekend to replace my heater core.

So his engine he goosed

Comment

Working...
                        X