Bp and GTR AWD swap (MX-3)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bp and GTR AWD swap (MX-3)

Well last week i finally started really getting stuff together. I'll recap what all is going on:

Last fall i picked up a bp engine to go in my mx-3, in december the car was rear ended and is now my daily driver (too much damage to fix and still have money to play with the car).
    In Janurary i picked up a 93 MX-3 GS and began tearing it down to do the Bp swap in it, i like FWD but my dream has been to have have an AWD car... so i asked around and located a GTR trans and complete rear subframe picked it up two weeks ago.
    Last weekend the work began:
    i have torn down the engine and i'm now locating parts and looking for a place to get some work done..

plans and parts:
    Port & Polish (might do myself)
    overboar and dip engine to fit new pistons
    micropolish/knife edge crank shaft
    balance crankshaft and my b6t rods
    i have wiseco forged 10.5:1 compression pistons
    3 or 5 angle valve job along with the general head job
    alluminum flywheel (ordered today)
    stage 2 clutch (thinking about south bend clutch)

i am also considering cams / cam gears and i would love to do turbo... these if i do them may have to wait depending on how soon i can get more money together and how much the engine work will cost me

as to suspension:
    i have ground control coil overs
    i will likely do koni inserts so i can adjust

if there are any items i am grossly over looking be sure to let me know.. i have pics to put up but i have no idea how so for now:
    In the Garage
    Black 93 MX-3 GS
    Bp powered
    GTR Drive Train

The ProjectMx build thread
    MyCardomain[/SIZE]

"Shut up, at least the bunnies are on fire!"

go with a spec stage 2 clutch at least. you'll love it.

Comment

Hmm, I would go at least stage 3, cause if you turbo you will need it.

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
      Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

Turbo with 10.5:1 pistons...

JoN - Automotive Machinist Journeyman/Refrigeration Mechanic Journeyman
        Member of MX-3.com
        1996 Mazda MX-3 RS - Creek Blue Mica
        1993 Mazda MX-3 GS SE - Raspberry... RIP

Racing BP (Project "Blue" Marlin)... Twin Scroll GT3071R, breaking 30psi at the moment!

"Do it ONCE, do it RIGHT!"

Comment

Originally posted by Shades
          Turbo with 10.5:1 pistons...
          Indeed... somebody is feeling WAYYYYYYY too lucky!
          **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
          95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by Tazman2
            Indeed... somebody is feeling WAYYYYYYY too lucky!
            There is no problem with that, as long as his pistons and rods are good, and head gasket, and rod/head bolts....

Mexican: "You wanna race for titles?"
            Mormon: "lol, no, I don't want your car."

Comment

yup, if it can take the pressure, then its all good because he's using forged pistons and B6T rods, and doing crank work, and hopefully he'll invest in a copper headgasket with ARP bolts, he should be good to go!

just tune,tune,tune

JACK
              -Jack

ONTARIO MAZDA CLUB! Join! https://www.facebook.com/groups/500055016671733/

91 626 LX - basically stock and pretty slow still
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/sho...my-GD-626-LX-)

01 E53 3.0i - FOR SALE! pm if interested

91 USDM Protege LX - SOLD! turbo/manifold up for sale!
              http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46606

Comment

sounds like its gonna be good.

My piston/rod combo is the same also EXCEPT i goit the pistons Flycut down to 9:1

Comment

yeah i have forged pistons... b6t rods... and forgot to mention i have the arp head studs.... and yeah i am going with a copper gasket (not sure where to get it) but that was my plan... i might try and get a slightly thicker gasket and lower the compression a tad, i figured with all that plus running octane higher than 93 (i think 97? was what i was planning on running) that the car should be just fine... remember this isn't a daily driver this is meant to be my track and show car, yeah i will ocassionaly drive it on the street but it will be rarely.

I don't understand why every one gets on my case for wanting to run a small quick spool turbo with this set up... i will likely keep the boost no higher than 8 psi and it will be very well tuned... i probably won't even do the turbo till next spring cause all of these parts and work plus putting in the awd will tap me out moneywise for a while
                  In the Garage
                  Black 93 MX-3 GS
                  Bp powered
                  GTR Drive Train

MyCardomain[/SIZE]

Comment

oh and what is wrong with the southbend clutch instead of spec 2? and why go as high as stage 3 i thought stage 3 was for really high hp apps? and i'm only going to likely be running 200-250 whp if i'm lucky since i'm only doing a small turbo
                    In the Garage
                    Black 93 MX-3 GS
                    Bp powered
                    GTR Drive Train

MyCardomain[/SIZE]

Comment

Why waste all this money to just make 200-250 hp. You can do that on a stock bp or gtx engine setup. Your setup does sound nice just saying you can do it all without all those excpensive parts. Also get the stage 3 I just put one in mine and love it. good pedal feel and grabs great.
                      hello 4g63 nice to meet you

Comment

Originally posted by wht95scort
                        Why waste all this money to just make 200-250 hp. You can do that on a stock bp or gtx engine setup. Your setup does sound nice just saying you can do it all without all those excpensive parts. Also get the stage 3 I just put one in mine and love it. good pedal feel and grabs great.
                        Damn and to think I ran my GTR with a stock BP clutch for a year.
                        1991 Mazda 323 GTR Sedan
                        MODS:
                        GTR motor swap, F&R Familia strut bars, MX-3 Rear Lower strut tie bar, GTX front bumper, GTX grill, EDM headlights & corners, EDM 323 rear garnish, EDM spoiler, EGT sideskirts, MX-3 seats, GTX steering wheel, EGT glass sunroof, WRX hood scoop (functional!!), and other things that take too much space to list.....
                        TO DO LIST:
                        EDM/JDM rear bumper
                        EDM/JDM power folding mirrors
                        Repaint car

Comment

Originally posted by BuGS
                          There is no problem with that, as long as his pistons and rods are good, and head gasket, and rod/head bolts....
                          You forgot VERY good tuning! Obviously with all those goodies he has more headroom for mistakes but ehhhh...
                          **SOLD** 93 EGT with more suspension mods then your average riced out civic's # of decals + useless "bling/style/culture" mods! **SOLD**
                          95 EGT New beater! And gawd damnit shes NOT pink!

Comment

Originally posted by wht95scort

agreed.

thats why i am aiming for 350

Comment

hey haven't updated in a while so.....

THE REAR END IS ON!!!!

Today we bolted up the GTR rear end and dropped the car to see how it sat... the wheel gap in the back is huge but that will be fixed with the coil overs

the bottom end will be assebled next weekend and as soon as my SS oversized valves arrive the head will go in for the 3-angle valve job.... i have pics but not sure how to post in here so if someone can help me out i'll post here otherwise i'll just put them up on the cardomain and soon www.projectmx.net will be up and running
                              In the Garage
                              Black 93 MX-3 GS
                              Bp powered
                              GTR Drive Train

MyCardomain[/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
                              X