charcoal canister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charcoal canister

I'm looking at what I believe to be the charcoal EVAP canister on my '93 Protege DX. It is a largish cylinder on the passenter's side under the hood, near the firewall.

It has two hoses coming in to the top and one coming out the bottom. Here's my question: should the bottom one be connected to anything? Because it isn't.

It is just sort of flapping around, and the end is kind of frayed. I can't seem to find anyplace where it should be connected. There's no other hose-half nearby, and no visible coupling that's not connected.

Is it normal for this hose to vent to the atmosphere? If so, i suppose that after 10 years, the hose could crack a little bit and look the way it does. But if it's supposed to be connected to something, I'd like to hook it back up.

Should I worry?
    '02 Black Protege5
    '93 Gray Protege DX

I just looked at mine, its dangling too. I guess thats normal.
    2013 Dodge Dart Aero

Comment

i got a 92 dx and mine is the same way so i guess it's cool

Comment

the evap canister as in a a/c dryer? Because in the dryer its only purpose is to pull water and moisture from diluting the freon. So I guess that third hose could be a drain.... I dont know a whole lot about a/c systems though I could be very much mistaken.
        94' Mazda Protege'... trying to return it to former glory.

aim: zep867

Comment

Working...
        X