Cruise control light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cruise control light

Hi, new to Mazda, Protege5 and this site. Love all three. The Cruise light on my 2003 Protege5 has come on for a couple of seconds and then turns off again. I definitely do not have my hands anywhere near the cruise buttons. It's happened twice. Any ideas?

does it happen with cruise control button out (off)?
    My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
    JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
    AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Yes it does. I have never actually used the cruise control on this car yet.
      V.

Comment

take it in for service at the dealer. something is messed up in the electrical system, probably just the guage cluster, but it's still expensive to fix it later, if you don't have the warranty work done.

Comment

definitely a good idea to have the dealer look at it. Something else to consider is if the light comes on in similar circumstances each time, and whether the cruise control is actually engaging. If it is, it could definitely be dangerous.
          My MAM SS Kit Install Thread | Gauge Customization kit - LEDs, icons, more! Sample:

Replacement Stainless Steel Hex Screws for your AWR swaybar! now 19mm AND 21.5mm!

99 ES 1.8 | Highlight Silver Metallic | shaved mouldings | DaveB's Brushed Gauge Rings | Llumar Tint charcoal 35 side, 20 rear; smoked mirror 18 moonroof | clear corners
          JVC deck w/ Infinity Reference 5x7s and 6x9s, XM Radio via Custom Mount Delphi SkyFi | Rage Vigors 17x7 metal | Potenza RE750 215/40 rubber | Espilir springs
          AWR 21.5mm Sway Bar w/adjustable endlinks & Trailing Links & Front/Rear Engine Mounts | Custom Fiberglass hood from Maz1.8T | 626 Wiper Stalk

C-17 Pilot--Jonathan--ProTuner

Comment

Originally posted by glyph
            ........ if the cruise control is actually engaging. If it is, it could definitely be dangerous.
            True!!

This made me chuckle - a little off-topic, but I had the craziest cruise control on my first car; a 1988 Chrysler LeBaron convertible (2.0L turbo! yay! lol):

The cruise buttons were on the directional stalk like many cars of that time period. Well, something got mushy in the wiring in the stalk somehow, and everytime I'd put on my turn signal (over 40 mph - when the cruise was operational), it was like hitting the "accel" or "resume" function; the car would accelerate!

Very interesting, when signalling to move into an exit ramp, to have your car start to take off on its own...... And GREAT fun to watch a friend drive who didn't know it would happen.....woohoo!

To this day, I occasionally still mentally "expect" my car to accelerate when I signal a lane change.

Sorry - back to the topic - take your car to the dealer, and between now and then, try to note under what conditions the light comes on. Because if they can't replicate it, they may have a hard time figuring it out. But don't take no for an answer - make them find the problem.

~HH

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I'm just waiting to see if it happens again (which of course it hasn't). The cruise control never engaged, the light just came on for a second and went back off.

I also don't think it's all that easy to accidentally engage the cruise control, since the button is in an awkward place.

I have another 40,000km on warranty.

Other than that, it's been a fun ride.
              V.

Comment

Working...
              X